Maple Syrup Season 2017

landtracdeerhunter

Getting that time of the year again. Some of the people I know,  got caught up short last season with such an early start the end of January. Like it use to be back in the late 70"s. What the plan for those of you that make your own syrup? Expanding? New equipment? Some new people starting in? 

I'm just small time compared to some of the larger producers on here, but make enough for family with a little to sell. I will be adding around 14 trees, a larger boiling surface area, and a larger holding tank. Hoping for some great tasting syrup like in past years. I can't wait to smell that sweet smelling steam, and end result all bottled up. 

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 6

This will be something I'd like to do, when I finally retire in a few years. There are a couple local farms, that produce some very good syrup. I always make it a point to stop by when they are cooking down the sap. I love the smells and the good conversations! These guys have told me when I'm ready, that they have enough stuff to get me started on a small scale. And are willing to help with tips and advice, as well. Just what I need, another hobby! But I'm looking forward to putting something else on the table, that I procured myself.

• Like 1

I plan on expanding my small set up to a few more tree's this year and building a new out door fire pit to accommodate my pan. Maybe even add a second pan to speed the cook down. My goal is to make things more efficient for myself this year. Last year was ok for me, we had a late run that helped me hit my goal of 3 gallons. I would love to exceed that this year, I would have no problem selling Syrup in front of the house. We sell eggs now so we already have folks stopping by. Soon I'll need a little store out there lol.

I love sap season!

• Like 2

Love maple syrup...Mr B has a guy that he gets a gallon from every year..not sure if it's a gift or he buys it...he also has a guy that he gets a gallon of honey from. Same thing not sure if it's a gift or he buys it... That keeps us all year...I do not use much as far as sweeteners ...5# of sugar lasts me 2 yrs...

I give you guys tons of credit...it's a whole lot of work for a relative small, but Delicious reward....

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I always enjoy the great syrup put out by the local producers, and looking forward to the first N.Y. Maple Weekend 2017 on March 18-19. You can find lots of maple products that are just so delicious. There are a lot of farms all over the state, so there is probably one near you that you and your family or friends can visit and enjoy the sweet taste of great maple syrup!

• Like 1

I just do enough for my immediate family, usually less than a gallon. I plan on tapping a few this weekend as the temps look about right next week.

This is only my third year of dabbling with it. The first year I hit it early and got the light colored syrup, last year I hit it late and the syrup was almost as dark as molasses. Both were delicious. I'm going to try to hit it right in the middle this year. Pic is from 2015 early stuff.

IMG_1876.JPG

• Like 2

My Brother inlaw makes the syrup and it is great. When I move up to place full time I'll do it also. Question about bears. Do they ever mess with the sap collected at the tree? I have a decent population by me I think it could be a problem? Thoughts?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan.NY said:

Anyone making syrup who is interested in trading some of your syrup for my honey.. I have 5 hives and honey from a good fall flow... Seriously...

I wish I had time and trees for syrup. Add to the retirement list I guess.

I'll swap syrup for honey.....

Send me a PM and we'll figure something out.

• Like 1

Re doing a main line for my gravity tubing on one section of 120 taps as I want to relocate tank to better spot, allow my to catch a few trees on tubing that I have done on buckets. Bought a new pan for the arch.

Got jammed up last year with a new project needing to be dried in starting in Feb and March, left for a 3 week hunting trip/vacation in April i had to prep a few things for; so this year should have time to make a better run of it. Can tap up to 250+/- but been keeping under that as it will require a better evaporator and I've had issues selling sap and not doing that again. Friend was boiling my sap, but he sold his equipment.

Just a hobby, I give much away and sell some here and there.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, First-light said:

My Brother inlaw makes the syrup and it is great. When I move up to place full time I'll do it also. Question about bears. Do they ever mess with the sap collected at the tree? I have a decent population by me I think it could be a problem? Thoughts?

No clue on what a bear likes on his pancakes but I do know that plastic line and a bucket are cheap enough to replace that I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you turn it into a business of course.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I talked to one producer yesterday that has taps out. Running 54 to 1. Looks like more firewood is going to be used this year again. I don't think I got below 47 last season.

Sounds about like how I started last year, I was running @60-1 early. I won't bother tapping until late Feb most likely.

I used a barrel evaporator till 4 years ago. I put raised grating on the bottom to hold the logs up for venting underneath. My door was higher to have another hole under it where I mounted a turbo charger fan. I used the 8" steam table pans. That stove would get beet red on the sides just below the pans. Spit hot sap at me with such a hard boil. It would evaporate 3 gallon per hour on a real good dry day. It burned out after just 2 seasons.

I then made a stove out of 2 electric ovens with a larger turbo charger.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

17 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I used a barrel evaporator till 4 years ago. I put raised grating on the bottom to hold the logs up for venting underneath. My door was higher to have another hole under it where I mounted a turbo charger fan. I used the 8" steam table pans. That stove would get beet red on the sides just below the pans. Spit hot sap at me with such a hard boil. It would evaporate 3 gallon per hour on a real good dry day. It burned out after just 2 seasons.

I then made a stove out of 2 electric ovens with a larger turbo charger.

Did you line it with fire brick?

The reason my outdoor pit went bad quick was from high heat and no fire brick. I figured I might be better off with a dedicated sap stove and a separate fire pit for the rest of the year. I can pick up a barrel for cheap or free if I am lucky, replacing a decent looking fire place ain't so cheap.

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 1

pics of those set ups  Guys?

Wow it must be running good today...I have windows open and i was working the wood lot in a wind breaker and sweats today...until the rain got me and I came home looking like someone tossed me in a pond. Even that wasn't bad for there was little wind and dang if that rain wasn't warm!...

Went to Bascom's today in New Hampshire and bought a few odds and ends when friend was shopping for some stuff. I could drop $10K in that place in about 10 minutes, but then I would HAVE to make syrup!

Been to demo event there once before and them folks understand customer service, just plain nice to deal with. I'm a nobody and they always have time for a question no matter how stupid on my part.

Home made arch using scraps and fire brick off various jobs and some sheet from a couple of stock trailer rebuilds, with 1" insulation you can stand right next to it at full tilt. Built over a weekend when I already had taps in the trees, necessity is the mother of all invention after all.LOL

Started with the 3 pans, but have a Lapierre SS cross flow welded pan for the top that I bought used and was designed for any 2x4, even a drop flue.

IMG_2694_zpsc607c8a7.jpg

IMG_2692_zpsf0e26103.jpg

test run when built;

IMG_2703_zps41bb3313.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3