No Fat !!!

the blur

Looking at your ground meat   ( what is this CHOPMEAT , some faggot NYC term ? ) JUST KIDDING !!

Anyway, I do not think your butcher ADDED any fat, but I think he did not REMOVE enough fat from your doe...

It is a lot of work to get all ( or most) of the fat, sinew, silverskin, etc. out of a fat whitetail...I suspect your butcher  did not do as thorough a job of removing it as many of us who process our own meat do.

• Like 1

I got my first one processed this year, during the early Northern zone ML season, because I was far from home and the temperature was predicted to get up into the eighties later in the day.   We still had at least a full deer's worth of roasts in our freezer at home at that point, but my kids like venison tacos the best, and we were totally out of grind.   Nolt's, in Tug Hill ground that whole deer for me, except for the tenderloins and backstraps.  It was a fairly fat doe, but they must have trimmed it pretty good.  The grind looks as clean as the stuff I do at home, after carefully trimming most of the fat, tenderloins, and silverskin.  They say that they give you back all your own meat, unless you order sausage or jerky (I did not).  The best part was the cost at just $47 for 45 pounds of freezer-packaged meat.  If I could get that kind of service and price at home, I probably would stop butchering my own.  

One year I had to get a deer processed as I was hunting near West Valley for the weekend and I shot a deer on Saturday. I just asked for the deer to be quartered and deboned. I then was able to trim and cut the meat the way I wanted. That worked out well.

This year, I bought a bunch of ground pork on sale at Budwey's in anticipation of doing my own deer. But due to an injury, I had to take it to the Buck and Doe shop to get processed. They were nice enough to take the ground pork I had bought and add it to my ground meat.  I also remember there was something I didn't like they way they did (the butcher left the silverskin on the roasts). The guy in the front of the store let me go in back and speak to the butcher that actually worked on my deer about it. He explained they keep the silverskin on the roasts as it helps retain the moisture in the roast. Well, not sure I buy that, but overall, they do a good job and give good service so I can live with that. it was cool to go back there, with the heavy duty kitchen equipment and vacuum plastic bag packager. Nice setup they have.

Prior to that doe this year, it had been more than 12 years since I had one processed.   The last one also went to the Buck and Doe Shop.   It was a smaller, rutted-out 10-point that could not have field-dressed much over 140 pounds.  I had skinned it and put the cape in my freezer and I think they charged me about $10 less than their normal price because they did not have to skin it (Nolt's charges $10 more if they don't get to keep the hide).   The box I picked up held 10 pounds of pepper sticks (that were excellent),  50 pounds of grind, and 4 quart-sized packages of butterfly backstrap chops.  I was surprised with that amount of meat from that deer.  I remember thinking that maybe they just filled the boxes based on the info on the carcass tag (ie: antlerless/spike = small box, 3-6 point = medium box, 7-9 points = large box, 10 points or more = extra large box).   I was very happy with the deal and the quality of their work.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

With my ground meat I seldom remove silver skin/sinew. It either gets ground in or caught in the grinder knives and cleaned out when clogged or I just feel like doing it. I grind twice through the 3/16" plate.The picture does look like some deer fat was in ground in. I know a lot of processors will give people a break if they bring in their meat already boned and in your case grow they might have had people bring in their meat with lots of fat left on it. 

Honestly if I were bringing it in to get processed I wouldn't take nearly as much time trimming if I knew it was community meat instead of my own.

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Prior to that doe this year, it had been more than 12 years since I had one processed.   The last one also went to the Buck and Doe Shop.   It was a smaller, rutted-out 10-point that could not have field-dressed much over 140 pounds.  I had skinned it and put the cape in my freezer and I think they charged me about $10 less than their normal price because they did not have to skin it (Nolt's charges $10 more if they don't get to keep the hide).   The box I picked up held 10 pounds of pepper sticks (that were excellent),  50 pounds of grind, and 4 quart-sized packages of butterfly backstrap chops.  I was surprised with that amount of meat from that deer.  I remember thinking that maybe they just filled the boxes based on the info on the carcass tag (ie: antlerless/spike = small box, 3-6 point = medium box, 7-9 points = large box, 10 points or more = extra large box).   I was very happy with the deal and the quality of their work.       

Betting not many people would know the difference or the yield they should get from a deer if they never processed one themselves.

only processor that touches deer meat of mine is Stratton's Custom Meats out this way.  They wait to do venison products after season but do bulk sausage when they cut up your deer.  they only do stuff like that in 10 lb increments though for what you order.  so they use your deer really no scraps or anything left over.

Just wondering. Some of you guys have stated that you know you get back your deer and only your deer when you take to your butcher. How? Do you watch them from start to finish. Is your deer the only one  in the place? Just asking because I have been told I should try a certain butcher because you get your own deer back and they do a great job. I ask how they are sure they get only there meat back they respond with that's what they told me. Not that I will ever take one to pay someone to cut when I can do it myself and be sure it is the way I want it. Just asking how you are sure. I could never be unless I watched from start to finish.

38 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Just wondering. Some of you guys have stated that you know you get back your deer and only your deer when you take to your butcher. How? Do you watch them from start to finish. Is your deer the only one  in the place? Just asking because I have been told I should try a certain butcher because you get your own deer back and they do a great job. I ask how they are sure they get only there meat back they respond with that's what they told me. Not that I will ever take one to pay someone to cut when I can do it myself and be sure it is the way I want it. Just asking how you are sure. I could never be unless I watched from start to finish.

This is from Nolt's (Lowville NY) 2016 price list handout:

"You'll recieve your own steaks & stew back.  We do mix good venison with other good venison when processing Bologna, Sausages, Hot dogs Slim Jims, Stixs, and Jerky."

They do not specifically mention grind, but the nice lady at the counter told me that it was my own when I picked it up 5 days later, and so did the one on the phone prior to my carcass delivery.  I trust them and would definitely use them again.  There were about 25 other deer and a bear in the skinning shop when I dropped mine off at about 10:00 in the morning on the day of the kill.  The temperature was supposed to rise into the eighties that afternoon. The two skinners said they would have them all done and in the cooler within 2 hours.  

I found another good reason to take deer there in the future, after butchering the buck I killed up there later, during rifle season.   It was absolutely loaded with tics.   I don't care to bring any more of them home with me.  That alone is well worth the $45 processing charge (for an average sized deer, $50 for large).   I have never seen a tick on a deer that I killed at home.  I did the best I could to kill the 100 or so that I picked off that Adirondack buck but I am certain that I missed a few.   Hopefully they do not multiply around here.    

Edited by wolc123

• 4 weeks later...