2017 Shed Thread..

Geno C

23 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Walked a couple hours, found zero sheds. Part of a jaw and someone's poop in the woods kit ....

image.jpeg

That looks like the same kit that a lot of chronic masturbating pyromaniacs carry!

Good find that will cum in handy,lol

• Like 7

I'm pretty good at finding sheds each year.  I walk my ass off all season.  There is one property that I walk that I have yet to find one and it is driving me NUTS!  There are huge bucks, there are an abundance of bucks, there is a ton of food / ag, plenty of thick bedding, 100% posted and a low population of people around it (so I don't believe it is hit by trespassers).  It doesn't make any sense to me.  Anyone want to take a stab at this picture and see something I'm missing?  I'm going to walk it again next week:

Sheds.jpg

8 hours ago, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

Got some new hunting areas figured out more, so thats always good

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

this is how i got started shed hunting walking around trying to figure out an area sheds where just a bonus.now i just shed hunt these areas.

keep going it's a win win.

7 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

I'm pretty good at finding sheds each year.  I walk my ass off all season.  There is one property that I walk that I have yet to find one and it is driving me NUTS!  There are huge bucks, there are an abundance of bucks, there is a ton of food / ag, plenty of thick bedding, 100% posted and a low population of people around it (so I don't believe it is hit by trespassers).  It doesn't make any sense to me.  Anyone want to take a stab at this picture and see something I'm missing?  I'm going to walk it again next week:

if you didn't try walking rub lines 4 out of the 5 i found this year where on rub lines one was in a bedding area.

if you didn't try walking rub lines 4 out of the 5 i found this year where on rub lines one was in a bedding area.

If i had access to more feilds id walk them more, not many ag fields on public land and the ones there get hit hard by shed hunters, gotta get there first and after time the race gets old, and i look elsewhere. But feilds have been productive for me in the past just gotta be the first to pick it up

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I think the lack of stress is a big factor.  They have not had to be desperate this winter and dig in fields for remnants of food.  Plus, without the "violent" action of pawing at the ground, there is nothing to help jar them loose.  Walking around last week I was amazed at how many plants and trees were blooming (nature is very confused this year).  I am sure this has helped the deer as well with an earlier than expected "spring" food source.

Definitely a strange year for shed hunting.

• Like 1

While it is illegal to feed deer in NY something like this is legal in a "food plot". Legal in Maine & some other states but not good old NY.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/build-antler-trap-collect-sheds/

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
  2. Distribution of food to livestock.