2017 Shed Thread..

Geno C

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

While it is illegal to feed deer in NY something like this is legal in a "food plot". Legal in Maine & some other states but not good old NY.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/build-antler-trap-collect-sheds/

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer and moose by putting out any material that attracts them to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
  2. Distribution of food to livestock.

i've seen those around here on long island plus a few made out of rope.They never had anything in them.

Got out for a long day today no sheds today.I followed the longest scrape/rub line i ever seen 36 rubs when i stopped count with 13 scrapes all in a some what straight line for two miles according to my gps.The rubs where all different sizes.The only thing i found was the remains of a opossum and someones teeth:bad:

018.JPG

020.JPG

025.JPG

• Like 7

Today was probably the last shed hunt for me this year. Not as good as usual one set and three singles one turtle shell. 

IMG_0177.JPG

"Not as good as usual" MANY MANY bad words of jealousy jumped to my mind looking at your pic as my collection grew only by 1 dead head (only one sided at that!) this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Walked around a bit yesterday and was certain I was going to find a shed. The snow has melted just the right amount where I can still see the fresh tracks and beds but enough ground is visible for some finds. I even got that feeling a couple of times when approaching promising sign---nada!!! What the hell!!!

Walked around a bit yesterday and was certain I was going to find a shed. The snow has melted just the right amount where I can still see the fresh tracks and beds but enough ground is visible for some finds. I even got that feeling a couple of times when approaching promising sign---nada!!! What the hell!!!

Had alot of that this year, i bet i walked over 30 mi for that 2 point, granted not all my time this year has been spent in prime shedding areas. Lots of exploring, found a good spot today,20170323_171712.thumb.jpg.3485d177615bab lots of rubs that size all throughout the area, thicker than hell in there though

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ManicOutdoorsman92 said:

Rough estimates from you guys out there putting in the miles, how many hours do u spend each season, how Many sheds do you average, and are u primarily on private or public land.

i don't really know the hours but 4-6 sometimes 8 hours,per trip.It all depends on the weather i quit when the temps. get in the 40's ticks being the reason.Me and a friend where just talking about how 20-30 sheds was a descent year,now it's more like 5-10 per year.He was saying maybe the deer management program here on long island was working.Then i heard today the dec is going to extend the archery season until the end of march this year.All my shed hunting is on state land i use to hunt.The biggest park is 3000 acres.My buddy does a mix of private and county land.  

Just really started shed hunting last few years, oh I've found them prior but when just out moving stands and such. Last year I found 7 or 8, in 12-15 hours of walking . I walk maybe two hours each time.

All on farm land , mostly walking hedgerows between crop fields and thickets .

Just really started shed hunting last few years, oh I've found them prior but when just out moving stands and such. Last year I found 7 or 8, in 12-15 hours of walking . I walk maybe two hours each time.
All on farm land , mostly walking hedgerows between crop fields and thickets .

Thats damn good for that amount of time. Last year was my first serious year, got 22 although i had a stroke of beginners luck, the first finds were nine in a small alfalfa feild, with 2 sets and a nice 5 pt half, that was a great day. Usually If i find more than one thats a good day, put in atleast 3-7 hrs each outting if weather permits and am out pretty much every spare moment from, end of jan-april. Im currently at 9 for the year, hopefully will get a few more. Theres a small chunk of private up the road i hunt and was suprised i didnt pick a shed up back there. I know the bucks back there pretty well, and their areas, found two from some i had on camera last year and had those bucks under my stand at separate times during this past season ( tag was already filled), also spotted a buck back there i didnt know about, was a nice 3 yo 8 pt. I got one video of him passing my 3d deer target and cutting into fragmites/cattails that butts up to a backyard. Checked it out end of feb thinking it may be his bed, busted up a deer outta there and found a nice sized lone bed surrounded by frag pactically in someones backyard. The rubs in the immediate area lead me to believe it was his bed, but no sheds, numerous young ones caught on camera regularly, good number of bucks back there in general, yet no sheds. Really thought i would pick atleast one up back there

• Like 2

Thanks, hardly been out this year , was getting all set then  that snow storm came ! Perhaps this week ,I know I should grid search some green fields, but I find that boring, I guess that would change if I scored big ....

Honestly Im good for about a two hour walk that's it .

Took a walk from my house to the park and school where I have been seeing 20-30 around 710pm each night since we got all that snow. Was hoping for easy shed find, but no luck.

1.7 Miles covered. Followed tracks and poop into woods and never seen so much deer crap in my life. Not many buck rubs but there has to be some Giants in here. It's between Schools and park so no hunting.

fcb5708a06d7daba9bac5643e540c107.jpg

3480f2f63282368c6348cd9e5686036a.jpg

de46608e6b860426bdee3d626e2b2139.jpg

297001c98ade021886d89cbea80b45c8.jpg

92255ccec32db7a5af9de65f83afe23a.jpg

Dead skunk?

Got out for a long day today no sheds today.I followed the longest scrape/rub line i ever seen 36 rubs when i stopped count with 13 scrapes all in a some what straight line for two miles according to my gps.The rubs where all different sizes.The only thing i found was the remains of a opossum and someones teethdefault_bad.gif

018.JPG
020.JPG
025.JPG

Come on, really !!?!