2017 Shed Thread..

Geno C

Found a nice dead head today in a swamp out in a no hunting area. Somebody probably saw this guy and couldn't resist, made a bad shot and was afraid to look for him.  Shame, would've loved to have found his sheds or have him make the mile trip to my land and offer a shot.  Double split mains and stickers all over, unfortionately  it's old chalky and chewed.  Prob been sitting out there 5 or 6 years.  Must walked by there a dozen times over the years.

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

• Like 11

Found my first shed in my backyard hedge row this last Sunday April first. Twelve (12) points on one side. It would have been a 24 pointer if I’d found the matching side. It measured up 82-4/8 and would have scored over 180 live.
Right side 12 pointer shed.jpg

Looks like u have a serious jackelope on the kill list for next year!! Gotta be at least a 12yr old

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On April 1, 2017 at 11:38 PM, EastIslander said:

Found a nice dead head today in a swamp out in a no hunting area. Somebody probably saw this guy and couldn't resist, made a bad shot and was afraid to look for him.  Shame, would've loved to have found his sheds or have him make the mile trip to my land and offer a shot.  Double split mains and stickers all over, unfortionately  it's old chalky and chewed.  Prob been sitting out there 5 or 6 years.  Must walked by there a dozen times over the years.

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

How could you make an assumption like that? Nice find though sure you're happy. 

• Like 2

Found my first shed in my backyard hedge row this last Sunday April first. Twelve (12) points on one side. It would have been a 24 pointer if I’d found the matching side. It measured up 82-4/8 and would have scored over 180 live.
Right side 12 pointer shed.jpg

Thats a stick🤔

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

15 hours ago, First-light said:

How could you make an assumption like that? Nice find though sure you're happy. 

I've found a couple nice dead heads in the area over the years as well some bait piles and climber marks up trees.  Its in a preserve thats open to the public and has some bike and foot trails running through it, parking is limited and it closes at dusk with a check in check out system.  Archery hunting is very competitive by me due to lack of land resources and high population density so some less scrupulous guys who really want to shoot a large buck get dropped off and sneak into the park to hunt the evening hours when people aren't around.  If they make a bad shot and can't recover the animal that night you'd have to wait till the next night to look and that deer could get pushed all over the park by the daytime trail walkers.  There is public and private hunting hunting all around the park in tight wood lots which controls the park herd population by eliminating the overflow so deer rarely succumb to old age.  The bucks I found dead all had good teeth and seemed to be in their prime with intact skeletons which would dismiss auto collisions.  I also found them all in thick brush next to water sources which is what a gut shot animal would seek out.  So in putting all the evidence and circumstances together the most likely assumption is that these are poached bucks however it'll never be known they could have gotten sick or caught an arrow outside the park and sought refuge within, its just my assumption.  Its def the best head I've ever found but old bones don't do it for me, I only save my unchewed browns so I'll prob give this one away.

• Like 2

Don't know if you all realized "found April First". To be honest I thought it was a great find when my hunting buddy first pulled it from the dingweeds. Being April Fools Day, I had to share the experience with the serious shed hunters. Still grinning.  

• Like 3

Got out between the raindrops this morning with two fair to nice right and left drops, They lie one and two years there. That makes three, maybe three hours looking. Not an antler from this season yet. Glad I wore the waders as ditches are running full. The autumn oliver is leafing; clover and grasses are growing. Deer look skinny here.  No post pics until all stones are turned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, rachunter said:

it's better then the stick,lol

You are right there. I couldn't beat it with a stick. LOL.

That's a terrific shed you came up with Wooly. I'm impressed with your talent. Who comes up with these ideas?

Edited by RoadKill44
spelling
  • Like 2