What's your ultimate dream hunt

Trigger518

I have hunted moose and bear in Canada and elk and mule deer in Colorado when I was younger.  Those were fun and I am glad to have had the experiences.  I would not want to do those again however (or any other "exotic" locations) because they pale in comparison to the whitetail hunts I have experienced in recent years up in New York's Adirondacks.  The main reason for that is the scenery is so much better up there.  The endless bush and lack of hills up in Canada leaves much to be desired, as does the high-desert of Colorado.   It is also great to be able to drive your meat home easily, and to not have to fly, or buy an out-of-state hunting license.  At this point of my life, I feel extremely blessed to be able to do my "ultimate dream hunt" several times a year.

One thing I will give those other places, is that the moose and elk were very good eating, matching or exceeding corn-fed NY whitetail in quality of taste and greatly exceeding it in quantity. Getting it out of the woods and home is difficult and expensive however.  To this day, moose-tongue remains the best flavored wild game I have ever tasted, while canned moose meat with gravy over noodles is awesome as well.  The mule deer was so bad tasting, compared to a whitetail, that I would never consider hunting them again.  I have no idea why elk, taken from the same area as them, taste so much better.  I also don't care for the look of mule deer or elk antlers and shoulder mounts, but moose are cool.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 3

I hear you on the adk whitetails its where I call home and have been hunting them since I was ten following my father around, and being 28 years old and taken 8 Adirondack big woods bucks so far in my life I feel very fortunate, I don't believe nothing will ever compare but would like the experience of a moose at 30 yards with the bow. What am I saying every hunts a dream hunt..

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AS long a were DREAMING, let's make it a  long multi species pack train type hunt in the Canadian Rockies for sheep, goat, elk ,moose and mountain caribou, like Jack O'Connor did in the 1940s and 1950s....

Hell, you could even throw in a grizzly, as long as we're dreaming..

• Like 1

Nothing really fancy for me , a whitetail hunt like you would see on TV ,bucks chasing doe ,deer just tromping around all day ,every where you look. I usually save my pipe dreams for a nice secluded trout stream trip some where , tent camping on the bank of nice scenic trout steam. We used to do that every weekend as a kid down in shongo ,next to the genesse river.

Shucks, trigger, you're only 28...You have lots of time...I never took my first out of state big game hunt ( except PA whitetails)

until I was 39...Since then I have been fortunate to hunt moose, elk, caribou, pronghorns and mule deer in several Canadian provinces and several western states, including 5 do-it-yourself  hunts in Alaska for moose and caribou.....

• Like 4

Yes hopefully I can turn my dream into a reality my grandfather did a lot of mule deer, elk, pronghorn, caribou hunts out west and Canada and was going through a old box he had with all of his old licenses back from the 60's and even found a couple 1970's conservationist magazines very neat seeing all of the stuff he saved.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I did the out west pack in deal with horses and mules for Elk, went to Newfoundland several times for Moose and Caribou all when I was a young guy and got it out of my bucket list. The only big game animal I have a yen for is any of the wild sheep but that is just a dream and at 68 years old even though I am in pretty good shape would probably be pretty tough and out of my price range.

Being a big time varmint hunter the one thing that has always held my interest but never got around to doing is a big time Prairie Dog shoot. I have a friend in Wyoming that tells me in a big dog town that can stretch from horizon to horizon there is so much action that you can actually wash out a hot caliber varmint rifle barrel in a couple of days of shooting. That kind of shooting action gets my attention and hopefully one day I can haul out my Varmint arsenal to one of those towns and erode those barrels!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, airedale said:

Being a big time varmint hunter the one thing that has always held my interest but never got around to doing is a big time Prairie Dog shoot. I have a friend in Wyoming that tells me in a big dog town that can stretch from horizon to horizon there is so much action that you can actually wash out a hot caliber varmint rifle barrel in a couple of days of shooting. That kind of shooting action gets my attention and hopefully one day I can haul out my Varmint arsenal to one of those towns and erode those barrels!

Al

+1 on the varmint shoot

I've done some PD shooting but it was during antelope/mule deer hunts.  I think anymore than a couple days of it and I might get bored but could possibly suffer through a third and MAYBE a fourth day. :rofl:

• Like 2

The next hunt I do is the current dream hunt for me, or I wouldn't be there.

My list is a little more far flung than most and have checked off a couple of boxes here and there.

Dagestan Tur or Mid Asian Ibex is hot on my list right now. That'll put me on all six huntable continents at least one time with an Asian hunt; nothing special about that, just a personnel goal. 

I'd like to finish my "Tiny Ten"......10 of the Africa's smallest antelope. 1/2 way there.

Tuskless Elephant in the herds, one of Zimbabwe's most dangerous hunts.

I need to buy a newish work vehicle and thats screwing up any plans this year and I hate everything about that.

• Like 2

Nothing too lavish and almost put this thought into action. Managing a large golf retail store I used to travel a lot to golf factories and trade shows. Many years ago I went to Florida and met Jack Nicklaus when going thru Nicklaus golf club factory. Talked hunting with Jack for a bit as he is a huge hunter. He remembered playing country club my dad was superintendent at the time. Month goes by and my inside rep calls and asks how my golf was going. I replied being May I've been turkey hunting and shot a nice bird yesterday. He requests I send him a pic to see. I emailed a pic and didn't think much of it. Days later I receive a signed pic from Jack. He had printed it and walked it over across the hall to his office. I thought about inviting Jack up to hunt birds with me. I didn't and should have. Who knows but the thought was cool. Jack frequently would hunt / fish day(s) after tournaments depending where he was. How cool would have it been to have Jack land at Buffalo airport in his private Golden bear plane and me to go hunting with him. I should have at least tried. 

IMG_4729.PNG

• Like 6

Mine would be a boat based Alaskan coast/ Canadian pacific coast trip for big coastal black bears, deer (blacktail up there if I remember right), with a side trip for moose. Combine it with halibut and salmon fishing, with a lot of down time for exploring/ beachcombing.

• Like 1

Daveboone...That trip was on my " to do" list  up until  life changes pretty much put an end to my out of state hunting adventures..

I'm not much interested in a bear, but I think that the Sitka blacktails are by far the prettiest deer in North America and I have heard that they provide the very best venison..

I have made two fishing trips  to southeast Alaska for halibut and salmon, and they were awesome..Many of the boat hunts for blacktails include fishing, crabbing, and even sea duck shooting, just to kep you from getting bored aftr you fill your deer tags.