What's your ultimate dream hunt

Trigger518

14 minutes ago, Trigger518 said:

I would love to try for the turkey grandslam before I'm gone but I don't think lodges would do me good I'd like to accomplish my hunts diy style I don't know why just how I am I guess!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Lots of great places to hunt all four species in involved in a grand slam on public land..Probably the Osceola would be the toughest to find a good place, but they are out there..

Now with the royal ( including Goulds) and the world slam ( including oscellated) would be tough to do without an outfitter because they take place in Mexico.

Well I am still addicted to Whitetails.  While Moose, Elk and other members of the deer family are interesting to me, nothing gets me pumped like a big buck will.  For me any remote hunting location is ideal, just something about taking a buck in his house while still hunting that takes it to another level.  Bucket list would be to still hunt brown bear in Alaska with the bow.

My ultimate dream hunt happens every year in the ADK, I would like to be even more remote but it fills my fix for deep woods hunting.  The ultimate trip would be if my buddy Shawn gets his first whitetail (Mature like he wants.) in the ADK this his 30th year hunting with me!

• Like 2

Ha-ha-ha ...... All things are possible with a dream hunt, even things that we are no longer able to physically achieve. For me, The dream is to go up on our hill and cut a hickory stave, and take my draw-knife and fashion a good longbow as I did when I was 11 years old (only make it in the 50 pound draw weight). Using some good Port Orford cedar shafts, create  some wooden arrows, fletched up with some of the turkey feathers down in my shop that I have saved from my wanderings on our hill over the years. Then hand knap some flint arrow heads from our local stones of the area.

Then comes the hunting part .... lol. With that home-made set-up, I would like to take a deer......any deer with that. The deer would come off the land that I have lived on all my life. Then I would have the head mounted along with two of the hooves mounted as a holder for the bow and arrows and retire the whole set onto the living room wall. To me that would represent the absolute crowning achievement of my involvement with archery over an entire lifetime, and consequently be a true "dream hunt".

• Like 2

I've done colorado every year for the last 5 years for mule deer and elk. This year will be 6. I know spoiled right. My dream hunt is me and my boy going way up north in Alaska to hunt muskoxen since that's his favorite animal and that's all he talks about. Crazy 5 year old...lol... Then we fly to Africa to get a wildebeest. That's my favorite creature. Just something so majestic and mysterious about them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Lots of great places to hunt all four species in involved in a grand slam on public land..Probably the Osceola would be the toughest to find a good place, but they are out there..

Now with the royal ( including Goulds) and the world slam ( including oscellated) would be tough to do without an outfitter because they take place in Mexico.

What's is actually considered the turkey grand slam I always thought it was the "what I believe is the eastern what we have in ny, the ociola, marium, and Rio grande, excuse my spelling on a couple of those?

1 hour ago, Trigger518 said:

What's is actually considered the turkey grand slam I always thought it was the "what I believe is the eastern what we have in ny, the ociola, marium, and Rio grande, excuse my spelling on a couple of those?

You are correct, Trigger... The Turkey Grand Slam is the Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande and Merriams...

Add a Gould's  and you have a Royal Slam...Add an oscellated and you have a World Slam...

As far as I know there is no place to take a Goulds or an oscellated  north of the Mexican Border...

Actually, my REAL dream hunt would be to do a nude road hunt  for gophers in East Jesus, Ohio,  in a '57 Desoto with  Miranda Lambert driving, Sarah Evans riding shotgun, and Jennifer Lopez sitting on my lap in the back seat..

First rest stop tag me in. At your age I know you'll need a break!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trigger518 said:

Yup better let the young guns handle that dream hunt.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Dang !!  A few years ago when I wanted to do one last Alaska DIY moose hunt and wanted to find a couple of strong young bucks to go along  do the bull work (literally)  ( at their own expense, of course) I couldn't find anybody.....<<sigh>>...

I suppose you and 7600 would chip in for gas on the gopher hunt  ?

• Like 1

Dang !!  A few years ago when I wanted to do one last Alaska DIY moose hunt and wanted to find a couple of strong young bucks to go along  do the bull work (literally)  ( at their own expense, of course) I couldn't find anybody.....>...
I suppose you and 7600 would chip in for gas on the gopher hunt  ?

And beer! But that wouldn't cost much because I drink cheap beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

You are correct, Trigger... The Turkey Grand Slam is the Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande and Merriams...

Add a Gould's  and you have a Royal Slam...Add an oscellated and you have a World Slam...

As far as I know there is no place to take a Goulds or an oscellated  north of the Mexican Border...

Pygmy- there is a small population of Gould's turkeys in Arizona, it's EXTREMELY difficult to draw tags to hunt them. I've been applying 5 years now, no luck but some points built up. The outfitter I talked to said on average you have to apply 10 years before you get drawn.

• Like 1