What's your ultimate dream hunt

Trigger518

13 hours ago, dmandoes said:

hey uncle nicky;  i hope ur gaining 2 points a year.  with a loyalty point u should have 11 points for goulds turkey.  i'm sitting on 23 points and believe i can go for goulds anytime i choose. whats your plan if u draw?  maybe we could do it together. 

No plans yet, I figure I will cross that brige once I come to it. I'll probably go with an outfitter once the day comes, since I don't know the area, and this is probably going to be a once-in-a lifetime hunt. Sure, I'd be open to anything, always nice to hunt with a buddy.<<thumbs-up>>

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I know in Vermont and New Hampshire that having them dragged out by horse is the most common. They advertise in the regs books.

Yeah, some guys hire horses here in VT.  I know guys that pull with two 4 wheelers chained together.  My sister's boyfriend shot one and hired a high school football team to drag his moose close to 3/4 mile.  It took them 7 hours!  

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Yeah, some guys hire horses here in VT.  I know guys that pull with two 4 wheelers chained together.  My sister's boyfriend shot one and hired a high school football team to drag his moose close to 3/4 mile.  It took them 7 hours!  

Man......why not quarter them up instead?

I'm not really sure.  I don't know anyone who quarters them.  Not sure if the state discourages it.  All our big game gets reported at an official reporting station.  The state uses the reporting stations to gather data, especially with moose.  

The football team thing was more of a bet / fundraiser.  I think he said he would give them $300 if they could do it.

Im really not interested in harvesting game other people have scouted for me or have a history with. So I never gave it much thought, but it would probably either be either a Brown Bear, Moose or Elk archery hunt. Has to be Archery attempted first, then ML as back up..

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Im really not interested in harvesting game other people have scouted for me or have a history with. So I never gave it much thought, but it would probably either be either a Brown Bear, Moose or Elk archery hunt. Has to be Archery attempted first, then ML as back up..

That rules out brown bear, then.. As far as I know, all brown bear hunts require a non-resident to hire a guide..

Besides that, there is a very good chance that  your guide ( who will be carrying a rifle with a hole in the barrel as big as your thumb)  will have to kill the bear to keep  it from shredding your ass after you annoy it by pricking it with your play toy...Hehehehe..

• Like 3

Fred Bear had to shoot several polar bears before he could register one in P&Y...

He would shoot the bear ( most likely a good kill shot, but a bear mortally hit with an arrow can certainly live long enough to get to you and kill you)  , the bear would charge, and the guide would have to kill it with his rifle, making it ineligible for P&Y...

The natives no doubt killed them with their bows and arrows, but I wonder how many Indians ended up as bear poop for every one they killed...<<grin>>....

Hunting large, heavy dangerous game ( the big bears, lions , cape buffalo and elephants)  with a bow  is  certainly a viable method, but unless you have a death wish, you'd better have someone with icewater in his veins and a BIG rifle standing beside you when you release your arrow......<<smile>>......

• Like 3

Because it is only a dream hunt  might just as well go whole hog and be transported back in time to the Jurassic period and go on a big time dinosaur safari. My hunting vehicles would be several military HumVees rigged for hunting to haul my hunting party, paleontologist guide, gun bearers, supplies, hunting weapon battery and a shipping container full of ammo. My long range heavy rifle would be a Barrett light fifty autoloader, up close a 460 Weatherby mag for my medium rifle, and three 7mm light rifles, one chambered in 7 mm Remington Ultra Mag, one in 280 Remington and one in 7mm08. For wingshooting those flying reptiles a Ithaca Mag 10 3 1/2 with a crate of various sized buck shot loads.

Ahhhh! now that is  real dreaming, bring on the T-Rex and get that Barrett light 50 hot!:taunt:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Money is no object right?

I have an idea of a hunting world tour of sorts.

Only catch being the animal is something the indigenous people would've hunted for food and it's also something I'd eat myself. Also would need to be on public or undisturbed private lands, i.e. no ranches or stocked preserves. Preferably solo hunting or minimal guidance.

Dall sheep - Alaska/BC

Wild boar - Russia

Sika deer - Hokkaido, Japan

b0168240_17303989.jpg

Water deer - Korea (this one is a bit of a stretch as I'm not sure if they were ever really hunted as a food source and most Korean traditional hunting was based around pheasant hunting. But I'll make an exception just to be able to mount a "vampire" deer.

220px-Chinese_water_deer_Stuffed_specime

Red stag - New Zealand

Caucasian tur - Georgia

Kudu - Africa (again, not sure about the meat on this one but awesome enough of a mount to go for).

Tragelaphus_strepsiceros_%E2%99%82_(head

I should probably start with my first whitetail though...

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Fred Bear had to shoot several polar bears before he could register one in P&Y...

He would shoot the bear ( most likely a good kill shot, but a bear mortally hit with an arrow can certainly live long enough to get to you and kill you)  , the bear would charge, and the guide would have to kill it with his rifle, making it ineligible for P&Y...

The natives no doubt killed them with their bows and arrows, but I wonder how many Indians ended up as bear poop for every one they killed...<<grin>>....

Hunting large, heavy dangerous game ( the big bears, lions , cape buffalo and elephants)  with a bow  is  certainly a viable method, but unless you have a death wish, you'd better have someone with icewater in his veins and a BIG rifle standing beside you when you release your arrow......<<smile>>......

Even if I had the $, I don't think I would do a polar bear hunt since you can't bring it back to the U.S. Can't imagine spending all that money and only coming home with a picture.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Alright Pygmy, I shoot the bear with my bow and you finish it off, deal?  I hope you are a slow runner though.  If you miss, I just need to be faster than you.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Elmo said:

So as long as we're time traveling, how about going back in time and having a hunting accident with someone like Adolf Hitler?

Or any of the following people (in no particular order), who I can't stand:

Tiger Woods, A-Rod, All Manning's (Eli, Peyton, etc.), Lebron James, All Kardashian's, Notre Dame Sports Teams, etc.

I would go back about 150 years and hunt whales from an open boat.   Getting a harpoon into a big hump-back, tossing a couple loops of rope around the loggerhead, and hanging on for the Nantucket sleigh-ride would be cool.  

Don't forget it would likely be exquisite tasting like the Minke whale I ate in Iceland!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The natives no doubt killed them with their bows and arrows, but I wonder how many Indians ended up as bear poop for every one they killed...>....
Hunting large, heavy dangerous game ( the big bears, lions , cape buffalo and elephants)  with a bow  is  certainly a viable method, but unless you have a death wish, you'd better have someone with icewater in his veins and a BIG rifle standing beside you when you release your arrow......>......

Did you ever see the Bob Foulkrod hunt where the guide shoots the polar bear a 64th of a second before it kills Bob? I'd love to find that online! I think we rented the VHS from Nicks Sporting Goods

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Did you ever see the Bob Foulkrod hunt where the guide shoots the polar bear a 64th of a second before it kills Bob? I'd love to find that online! I think we rented the VHS from Nicks Sporting Goods

I believe I did, but I'd rather see the version where the bear was  a 32nd of a second faster or the guide was a 32nd of a second slower....  Bob's a local boy.....<<smirk>>.....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I believe I did, but I'd rather see the version where the bear was  a 32nd of a second faster or the guide was a 32nd of a second slower....  Bob's a local boy.....<<smirk>>.....

Armenia Mountain, right?  Been almost 30 years but my buddy Dave and I visited him at his home.  It was prior to our booking a caribou hunt at Delay River Outfitters.  (wish I had THAT money back!!)