Getting back into fishing

RobC

So I'm looking for a rod and reel combo for steelhead in rivers and small mouth bass, pike, and musky. I doubt there is a do all combo so I'm open to a few options. For steelhead I have a nice st. croix  rod so I really just need a reel for that. I'd like to keep it under 100 dollars for the reels and same for the rods, so less then 200 for a combo. I haven't really been a hardcore fisherman in years so I'm not sure whats out there anymore. I mostly cast spinners and mr twister type baits but also like to float jigs and sacs for steelhead. I can't believe how many differents reels and rods there are available. My research for reels has brought me to two options so far Okuma Ceymar c-40 or pflueger president models. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm drowning in stats and specs lol.

can't help with the steelhead.but for the bass i use a 7' medium/heavy  st.croix with a pflueger president [6930]  for the most part,to be honest i have 10 set ups for freshwater depending on what and where is it necessary not at all.You did say if your fishing off land or a boat? i don't using like baitcasters  when fishing from land.but on my boats i use st.croix's with abu garcia's black max's baitcasters.all i use is st.croix rods so can't speak for othere brands. 

hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 11:12 AM, RobC said:

So I'm looking for a rod and reel combo for steelhead in rivers and small mouth bass, pike, and musky. I doubt there is a do all combo so I'm open to a few options. For steelhead I have a nice st. croix  rod so I really just need a reel for that. I'd like to keep it under 100 dollars for the reels and same for the rods, so less then 200 for a combo. I haven't really been a hardcore fisherman in years so I'm not sure whats out there anymore. I mostly cast spinners and mr twister type baits but also like to float jigs and sacs for steelhead. I can't believe how many differents reels and rods there are available. My research for reels has brought me to two options so far Okuma Ceymar c-40 or pflueger president models. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm drowning in stats and specs lol.

I would make up 2 different combos because those 2 species are on different ends of the spectrum when it comes to fishing for them. Most bass pike and musky are heavier setups where in the river you want long noodle rods. I would look into any of the better shimano spinngin reels ($70+) and invest into 2 rods. Normally when you buy the more expensive reels you will get 2 spools allowing you to just change spools to allow multi-species use. Rods aren't as big a deal get a couple gander mountian rods (lifetime warranty) one long 10' medium/medium light for the river fish and another 6' or 6'6" in medium heavy. The rods should run around $30-$40 each. You will spend a little more than your original budget but it were me I would setup for whatever you are going to target most often then get the other pole later.

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

I have owned a couple of Pflueger presidents.  They are a good quality reel for the money.  Then again, most reels in the same price range are fine.  You just want a reel with 7+ bearings.  A reel with less won't last.  

Two rods would be ideal, but it's pretty amazing what you can land when you have a a high quality drag and a fairly fast action rod.  You could easily stay under $100 for a combo.  I've caught loads of fish with a $30 Ugly Stick rod and a $40 Mitchell reel.  With that said, there is a difference between an Ugly Stick and a St. Croix!  

Most of all, have fun with it.  The most important part is to get out there.  Trial and error.  You can always spend more money on gear later.  Tight lines!

• Like 2

In terms of price point it's hard to beat the president. I've handled lots and lots of reels as I currently work in the industry and the President is a stand out beating even hundred dollar price range reels. Rods are a toss up for the most part. You said you have a good one for steel and that type of fishing so a bass rod can be any variety of actions, lengths, etc. Depending on presentation and use. For bass, pike, possible musky (not trolling musky) you would be best fit generally of course to a medium of longer length 7+ or a medium heavy if you prefer 6 and a half. I personally prefer lighter side of things but do use a medium heavy for heavy cover and flipping. 

And i agree gander mountain brand rods are actually a pretty good rod at a solid price point, especially when they are on sale.

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

It's hard to beat a Shimano Sahara front drag I have fished a lot with other brands and the only ones that compare are Okumas and Penn. The lower end Penns can be finicky but great customer service. Out of my 16 trolling reels 2 are Penns the rest Okuma. Out of the 8 spinning reels 3 are okuma and the rest shimano (mix of Sahara and Spirex). I have only used a few Pflueger a couple lews and I have always went back to the Shimano or Okuma. I used the customer service through Okuma once when I bought a broken reel and wanted parts to fix it. They sent me all the parts free I just had to cover shipping, they are a great company and take care of their customers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys. So last night I ordered the president and the okuma ceymar. Looks like this weekend I'll be going out to gander mt to pick up a rod or two. I have a few bait casters that were giving to me that I've never used I've always had trouble with them spooling up on my cast, guess I just need to get out and practice more. Pretty excited to get out and fish this spring. My parents bought a cottage on Chautaqua Lake this winter so I'll be taking the boat out hopefully every chance I get. For steelhead and bass I'll be fishing the Cattaraugus Creek. Lake fishing has always overwhelmed me and I've never had too much luck. But I bought a few books and maps for local streams and lakes so hopefully I'll finally have some luck on the lakes. Thanks again guys the internet sites are great but it's almost too much info.

• Like 1

There are weights under that cap on the side of the bait caster. Adjustment all to the outward position. That helps slow the spool down until you get used to throwing the baits. Start with a little heavier jigs or baits and keep that thumb ready on the spool the second that bait hits the water push that thumb onto that spool as fast as possible. Below is a picture of the door (1st picture) on the side and the little weights I'm talking about (2nd picture). You can click them in any position but with all of them out it will slow the spool a lot faster making the casts shorter but less likely of backlash.

KastKing-carbon-7-5KG-Max-Drag-Power-bai

36b8049eceb65bc8b9b586cb1205c19d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I hate Okuma and have tried a few and everyone has sucked! I would buy the best Shimano that you can afford. I have shimanos that are closing in on 20years of over use and abuse and still work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad and I each bought bought a shimano baitcaster at the bass pro shops worlds fishing fair in 1987, one is still going strong the other needs a gear replaced. I love shimano stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what'd u wanna do? Steelhead rods will be long to keep line off the water, but good luck working a jerk bait easily with a 10' rod. Reels, keep it simple, sounds like your just looking for a general setup, a lot of the hardcore guys have reels/rods setup for each setup (crankbait/spinnerbait, finesse, ect) forget all that. Medium weight rod will serve your purpose, 6'6" -7. I prefer 6'6" being on the shore. Although 7' is better for drifting, the creeks I fish usually aren't that wide and can keep line off the water reasonably with a 6'6"" or 7'. I have to laugh at the guys who got a free spool 12' rod bc that's what the steelheaders on tv got. Well when u fish a stream 30 yards wide it doesn't need to be that long to keep line off the water, and running your drift 20 ft past you before u recast isn't anything that couldn't be done with a spinning combo. Reels, my brother had the president was a good smooth reel, although I didnt like how the handle attatched. Generally I don't look at gear ratio, I will slow or speed up my retrieve as needed and don't choose my reel from that. the # of bearings, how smooth, and the grip, is how i decide. Also smooth drag, I HATE rough drag systems, but like anything, if u dont cheap out this usually isnt an issue. With a reel just make sure u get the right size for your weight rod, they usually have few sizes of each reel variety, whether a light, medium or heavy setup. If your willing to spend 100 on a reel I can't imagine youd be dissapointed, I hardly spend over 50 for a good general reel, of notable brand. I couldn't tell you the variety of species I caught with my general setup. I think setup is stressed a lot in the fishing shows as being crucial, which it is important but not practical for the once in awhile or weekend fishermen to have 6 different rod/reel combos. Just bc KVD fishes cranks/spinners on his 7'6" MH 7:2:1 gear ratio baitcast with 30lb braid, doesn't mean you can't fish cranks/ spinners with your M 6'6" spinning combo with mono, BUT u will have a harder time fishing these baits and bringing fish in, and can lose them easier. Which equates to money in pro fisherman standards, and why they go into setup so much, that and the fact their sponsored by those companies

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I have burned out the drag on every Okuma I purchased chasing salmon/steelhead.

I use the Diawa reels now; they are midrange in price and the drags hold up very well. I use them in Alaska and have NEVE had one fail. Nothing worse then having a great fish on and the reel destroy itself on a long run from a king.

Buy quality now and enjoy it for years.....