Buying ag lime

I have the same problem...to vet it delivered you have to have 10 tons delivered at once..then you have to keep it dry to spread. Also spreading it is a bit difficult without the proper equipement.. So you can stop in and ask your local farmer and see who delivers theirs. Ask if they know anyone you could hire to spread or who to rent a spreader from.

I don't know if this will help anybody but this is what I extracted to figure out how much Lime I'd need for a small deer plot. I haven't tried this myself yet and if there's someone who'd like to comment (Right or Wrong) it would be appreciated.

Adjusting the pH for deer food plots

Soil pH

In most cases soil pH of 5.5 to 7 is optimal for all seed blends designed for food plots. Soil typically tests in the acidic range one or more points below normal (IE: 4.5 pH). Typically, most suggest adding lime at 2.2 tons per acre to raise soil pH by one point.

Doing the math

Conversion references: 2.2 Tons = 4400 Lbs. and 1 acre = 43560 SqFt. This divides out very close to one tenth of a pound of lime for every square foot of land. So the formula you’d use to calculate how much lime is required would be:

Pounds of Lime = (Desired pH Measured pH)  X  0.1 Lbs/SqFt  X  the Area in square feet.

Using a measured pH of 4.5 for a reference and assuming your intended pH is the minimum of 5.5 pH. Lets also assume the food plot is a small 20 foot by 50 foot patch or 1000 Square feet.

(5.5 – 4.5 )  X  0.1  X  1000 equals 100 pounds of lime.

You would need 100 Lbs. of lime for 1000 SqFt to raise soil pH from 4.5 to 5.5

5 hours ago, xironman said:

Hansons is a lime quarry in Oriskanny Falls. Cost is around $12 a ton picked up

Awesome exactly what I was looking for thanks to both of you! I just called they don't spread it but that's not the end of the world.

Edited by corydd7
Add info