Cold Steel Cheap shot broadheads

chrisw

Anyone see these yet? It's a pretty interesting idea to me, the future of broadheads? I'll definitely be ordering a few when they become available to test out on small game first. At $1 a piece what do I have to lose? You can buy 10 of these for the price of one G5 SGH. I'm sure more styles will be in the future, I'd like to see an ultra short compact head. The price of broadheads is getting sickening, this might just be the ticket. I'm curious as to what kind of hemorrhaging these will create though, penetration looks on point but meaningless if they don't cut well in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

download.jpg.e6000707a9baee62870614eb92b

I think broadheads get to much attn. If they hit where you aim and aim in right spot a field point will kill. They are interesting for sure but I think I'll stick with my Chinadermics off ebay. Although walmart had 3 blade fixed on sale for 4 bucks for 3 haven't bought ant yet and they have tons of them. May pick some up for squirrel arrows

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I think broadheads get to much attn. If they hit where you aim and aim in right spot a field point will kill. They are interesting for sure but I think I'll stick with my Chinadermics off ebay. Although walmart had 3 blade fixed on sale for 4 bucks for 3 haven't bought ant yet and they have tons of them. May pick some up for squirrel arrows

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What brand are the fixed blades?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Any idea why? Because of the polymer I'd assume?

I'm not sure. A buddy of mine posted on Facebook the other day that they were illegal but I can't remember why. I'll see if I can find the post again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yes, looking at the picture I would say that they fit the definition of being barbed. So that would make them illegal in NYS. That's too bad because that buck apiece cost is very attractive. I am not a big fan of serrated blades, and while I have had great flight characteristics on 2 blade designs (for some unexplained reason), I do have to believe that a third or fourth blade would leave a wound channel that would resist closure or fat-blocking.

Yes, looking at the picture I would say that they fit the definition of being barbed. So that would make them illegal in NYS. That's too bad because that buck apiece cost is very attractive. I am not a big fan of serrated blades, and while I have had great flight characteristics on 2 blade designs (for some unexplained reason), I do have to believe that a third or fourth blade would leave a wound channel that would resist closure or fat-blocking.

Yea, you may very well be right on the barbed logic.... It does appear less than 90°

The thing looks huge. I shoot a 75 gr. BH and if someone came out with a decent 75gr. small game head that would be great. I know there isn't much of a market for those lighter heads but my bow shoots them great and haven't ever had an issue with energy. I have thought about just making my own head with a triangle shaped piece of stainless attached to a stainless shaft but don't really use my bow to hunt small game it's usually my .22LR.

21 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

They come in 100 grain and 125 grain . I wonder if part of the trailing edge of the Polymer could be ground a bit to make them so they would no longer be considered Barbed . They look pretty neat . 

It's only poly so I would imagine it wouldn't take much.

Some one once gave me a knife made out of a polymer , Cold Steel makes them too. While it had an " edge" you could not really cut with it. I took a file to the edge in hopes of making it better, it got worse.

My guess is it comes as sharp as it can ever be, and that's not much, it appears that it uses the serrations to " rip" more then cut .

a guy at work uses fixed blade Magnus heads, each year he sends them in for free sharping , and it seems they just send him new ones..... That seems pretty cheap .

edit, Cold Steel doesn't make anything, they're a marketing company , everything they sell they have made by others. In the knife world CS is often not though well off , because of their over top claims and almost fantasy type products , plus ripping off others ideas.

Heres a video with the reps quote  " you don't need to have them sharp....."  Seems to be more for , "hey I'm going to shoot that darn squirrel " with out waisting your real BH.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Would having one of these in your quiver during bow season be illegal if you wanted to whack some squirrels while hunting? According to the regs these would be considered barbed. I carry an arrow with one of those carbon express judo tips that I use on squirrel but these are a lot cheaper.

Not sure if this would be like carrying my .22lr and my .270 out into the woods while gun hunting to shoot squirrels or small game while on stand.

Edited by chas0218

4 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Would having one of these in your quiver during bow season be illegal if you wanted to whack some squirrels while hunting? According to the regs these would be considered barbed. I carry an arrow with one of those carbon express judo tips that I use on squirrel but these are a lot cheaper.

Not sure if this would be like carrying my .22lr and my .270 out into the woods while gun hunting to shoot squirrels or small game while on stand.

I do not think it would be an issue unless you shot a deer with one.