Blizzard of '77 anniversary

turkeyfeathers

I began work at Huntley Steam plant on Grand Island a few months before the storm. I got to work at 7 AM and by 11AM the snow storm was at white out conditions. Truck engine choked with snow. I had to sleep on the generation station floor for the night. The following morning, I dug out the truck and headed home. The journey took a couple hours, as opposed to the normal 15 minute commute. The company almost didn't feed us due to our temporary employee status, but someone finally went to Nucherinos for food delivery. Interesting 24 hours.

• Like 1

Forty years have gone by. Seems like yesterday. We were also experiencing an energy crisis that winter. Many government offices and school were closing for extended periods to conserve. People would be put on list for fuel oil deliveries. We ran short  ( as many did) twice in December of 76 with no home heating oil. Lucky we had a backup wood stove for heat. Lines would form at gas stations, many running out. People were placed on a gallon limits/ week.

As far as the blizzard, it was bad, to say the least. I have many pictures; old Buffalo News, and Lockport Union Sun and Journal newspapers with stories and pictures that were delivered 2 weeks later, when our road was opened thanks to the owner of County Line Stone payloaders and bulldozers. They were in front of our house with a bulldozer at 2am. one morning, clearing tree top drifts.  I remember bouncing around in bed as the frozen ground  amplified the vibration  of the cleats making it feel like an earthquake. Our well water froze that winter; never before or after, did it. Their were many heros created by that storm. 

It all melted later in February; we had a big flood. The rest of that winter was a piece of cake.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

I was 4 and don't remember any of it but the blizzard of 93 was a fun one!

That's ok , I was 18 and don't remember it !

Now '93 I was working , fire trucks were getting stuck on the roads , busses and cars abandoned in the middle of intersections , car fires burned themselfs  out before we could get there. Was on nights , almost none of the day shift could make it in so we were all held over. 

• Like 1

I remember it well...The "gang" not being able to drive would take after dark walks around the neighbor hood(which a country neighbor hood are the back roads) though we did have 4 streets...and we listened to the trees popping...some actually sounded like they were exploding it was so loud...also being of age to drink...we spent some time just chilling in the local bars..didn't have a store with in 4 miles but back then we had at least 3 bars in the area...lol

After that we all carried candles, snacks, water,matches and blankets in our cars...I drove back and forth to Alfred to Perkensville every day..always carried at least two changes of clothes as well as a heavy parka and pack boots..

Edited by growalot

I was a high school senior with a four wheel drive Jeep pickup, chains on all four corners, in Newark, NY. I also had chains, cables, and shovels in the bed and spent several days pulling cars out of tough spots for people. I never charged anyone, but I made a couple thousand dollars in tips over the few days that I couldn't get to my trap line. The skiing at both Brantling and Bristol was exceptional that year, but I recall that the ice fishing sucked. Who wants to dig out a garage-sized pile of snow just to fish?

• Like 2

I was 12 (man some of you guys are young LOL!) I thought it was great.  I remember walking, with my dad, around the corner to my grandmothers house to help dig my uncles car out. The snow was almost to my waist. after about a half hour of digging, I guess my father and grandfather realized that the roads were so bad  that my uncle couldn't go anywhere anyways, so they  quit. My uncle got pissed. Must of had a hot date or something.  The language got loud and the expletives flew. My grandmother called me inside. LOL!! 

• Like 2

15 years old for me.........not many memories other than walking OVER electric lines at Hopkins & Sheridan in Williamsville and then seeing hi-lifts digging out our intersection at home. 

The October Surprise is another story, that one I remember!!

• Like 2