Monster bobcat

Water Rat

That's a really pretty cat. I'm really amazed that the spots are so prevalent on a heavy coat cat. Usually you see spots like that on smaller southern cats.

For reference, here's my 42lber (Top 10 all time SCI based on skull size at one point a few years ago). You'll notice the spots on the belly but not as noticeable elsewhere because of the heavy fur.

858f5fbc003057f1f9c112355f55f7a3.jpg

6cf10309eb51a522d0f8a57bd08d54f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Probably 2-3 times bigger than one you would find in NY. Not far from the record:

A male, the 52-pound bobcat eclipsed the Wisconsin verified record of a 48.84 pound cat killed in Marinette County in 1984.

In comparison, the largest verified cat taken in Minnesota weighed 38.72 pounds.

“One over 40 pounds is the rare thing,” Arendt said. “Bobcat hunters are always looking for those.”

To date, no record of a verified cat that is larger has been found across North America, meaning that the bobcat might find immortality in the record books.

Probably 2-3 times bigger than one you would find in NY. Not far from the record:
A male, the 52-pound bobcat eclipsed the Wisconsin verified record of a 48.84 pound cat killed in Marinette County in 1984.
In comparison, the largest verified cat taken in Minnesota weighed 38.72 pounds.
“One over 40 pounds is the rare thing,” Arendt said. “Bobcat hunters are always looking for those.”
To date, no record of a verified cat that is larger has been found across North America, meaning that the bobcat might find immortality in the record books.

Those numbers are low. My was a legit 42lbs from Minnesota. The guys I hunted with get several each year over 40lbs.

Not my numbers:pleasantry:

From

Description

Bobcat are about twice the size of a domestic cat and usually smaller than the Canada lynx. Their fur is dense, short, and soft and is generally shorter and more reddish in the summer and longer and more gray in the winter. Spotting occurs in some bobcats and is faded in others. The face has notable long hairs along the cheeks and black tufts at the tops of each ear.

Males are, on average, one-third larger than females. Both sexes can be greater than 30 pounds; however, averages for males and females are 21 and 14 pounds, respectively. Body length for males is 34 inches and 30 inches for females. Tail length is usually between 5 and 6 inches for both sexes.

DEC

We have a good population of bobcats in my area of 4-H. And see them fairly often. But I've never seen one close to that size! Average size of an adult male cat, here, is 30lbs. Give or take a couple. They really are cool animals to see in the wild. A local trapper told me that a bobcat weighing 35 to 40 pounds is super rare and a huge cat.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Man that is one beautiful cat!

Not my tea, I would not eat it so I would not kill it just to look at it or mount it. I have no issue with those that do where they are sustainable.

i saw an episode on predator nation where  Fred Eichler's wife cooked one up his kid seemed to enjoy it.

We have a good population of bobcats in my area of 4-H. And see them fairly often. But I've never seen one close to that size! Average size of an adult male cat, here, is 30lbs. Give or take a couple. They really are cool animals to see in the wild. A local trapper told me that a bobcat weighing 35 to 40 pounds is super rare and a huge cat.

You are correct. I was told in Minnesota, that 40lb+ is like a 180" whitetail.

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That's a really pretty cat. I'm really amazed that the spots are so prevalent on a heavy coat cat. Usually you see spots like that on smaller southern cats.

For reference, here's my 42lber (Top 10 all time SCI based on skull size at one point a few years ago). You'll notice the spots on the belly but not as noticeable elsewhere because of the heavy fur.

858f5fbc003057f1f9c112355f55f7a3.jpg

6cf10309eb51a522d0f8a57bd08d54f3.jpg

Biz, I've seen the pic's of your cats, and have always been impressed with how big they are. If I remember correctly, one is a Lynx?

Biz, I've seen the pic's of your cats, and have always been impressed with how big they are. If I remember correctly, one is a Lynx?

Those are the same bobcat. This is the lynx. All fluff and looks bigger than bobcat because of long legs, but only 25lb. Big skull though (top 20 all time).

abfa10cdcea90596a54e6259811c1bb5.jpg

b968d21a3fe8285ce8701bf5a8ca1d6f.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 years later...
Just got a 40.3lb bobcat in Maine,with my hound. Looking to see if there are any record books or anything for bobcat skulls.  Taxidermist measured his skull at 5.25 inches wide by 6inches long. Thanks. Jay G

Welcome aboard...hell of a first post

Just got a 40.3lb bobcat in Maine,with my hound. Looking to see if there are any record books or anything for bobcat skulls.  Taxidermist measured his skull at 5.25 inches wide by 6inches long. Thanks. Jay G

SCI will measure it. I had a 42lb. bobcat from Minnesota measured by them. The skull scored 9 10/16” officially. Unfortunately I boiled the skull to clean it and likely shrunk a few 16’s. I suggest having a beetles clean it !

And congrats! Let’s see some pics. If your skull is truly over 11” it’s one of the biggest ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro