Recommendations for Ohio Whitetail Hunt Outfitter?

CharlieNY

Am considering a whitetail hunt this Fall with my son in Ohio. If anyone can recommend to me a good outfitter who they have booked with in the past, please let me know. I am looking for a complete package hunt including guide, lodging, etc. We will be going to the Harrisburg Show coming up, and if I receive any recommendations and the outfitters are there, I will look further into a booking. Thank you.

Ohio may not be in its "prime" like 6-8 years ago but there's still a lot of big bucks there. You should find plenty of outfitters at the show in Harrisburg. If your dead set on booking a hunt, your best deals will most likely be found at the show to be honest. The outfitters are there to sell hunts and will usually have some money knocked off the regular price if you book at the show. My dad booked a caribou hunt at the Harrisburg show like 12 years ago and saved a little over 2 grand by booking at the show.

Meeting the people working for the outfits is another big advantage of going to the show. It's nice to talk face to face with the owner and guides so you can get a feel of what kind of operation they are running.

Good luck in your search and good luck hunting this fall!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
If your open to other places I have a place in Kentucky I'm going back to. Not sure if your bow or gun hunting but this place is top notch. I'll be going back October 28th for a 5 day archery hunt.

What outfitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to everyone who contacted me with their recommendations. I was able to book an archery hunt at the Harrisburg show for the first week in November with an outfitter in Ohio who was highly recommended to me by many of those who contacted me. I will report back in November after the hunt with the name of the outfitter and how the hunt went.

8 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What outfitter?

I use Bryan Dirr of Whitetail Crossing in Springfield ,KY. Runs a top notch camp. I've been there before and can't wait to go back. Also love the week that I'm going

• Like 1

Why Ohio? I have a friend who is a very well known and successful booking agent and he has lamented to me that finding good Outfitters in Ohio is struggle for him long term. The main culprit is ohios supper high lease prices make for very short margins and no long term stability in outfitter properties.
In short there are better crops of Outfitters in other states.
Wide rack Outfitters is a bowhunting only Outfitter that gets excellent reviews and I know a couple of repeat customers. I have not hunted there however. I wouldn't recommend any places I have have hunted in Ohio.

• Like 2

I use Bryan Dirr of Whitetail Crossing in Springfield ,KY. Runs a top notch camp. I've been there before and can't wait to go back. Also love the week that I'm going

Do you drive or fly? Can you tell me more about your prior hunts with them?

The website looks pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do you drive or fly? Can you tell me more about your prior hunts with them?

The website looks pretty awesome.

I like to drive there. It allows me to bring an extra bow,big coolers and anything else I can cram in my truck. The ride really isn't bad, it was 12 hours. If you wanted to fly it's only a 2.5 hour flight and they'll pick you up at the airport. I hunted there 2 years ago and seen some great bucks. I passed on a mid 150 as I was looking for something bigger than I have already. Some people think I'm crazy but I did the same in Saskatchewan. My mindset was Booner or nothing. Best of all being in camp was like being upstate with the guys, just a good group of guys. 

I like to drive there. It allows me to bring an extra bow,big coolers and anything else I can cram in my truck. The ride really isn't bad, it was 12 hours. If you wanted to fly it's only a 2.5 hour flight and they'll pick you up at the airport. I hunted there 2 years ago and seen some great bucks. I passed on a mid 150 as I was looking for something bigger than I have already. Some people think I'm crazy but I did the same in Saskatchewan. My mindset was Booner or nothing. Best of all being in camp was like being upstate with the guys, just a good group of guys. 

Cool thx. The xbow October season looks interesting to me. I would fly.

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Cool thx. The xbow October season looks interesting to me. I would fly.

Never realized they had a xbow season. Thanks. If it coincides with when I'm there I'm pretty sure one of the guys coming would rather bring that

Never realized they had a xbow season. Thanks. If it coincides with when I'm there I'm pretty sure one of the guys coming would rather bring that

Tentatively scheduled for 10/1 - 10/22 according to Kentucky official hunting website.

27 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Tentatively scheduled for 10/1 - 10/22 according to Kentucky official hunting website.

Yes just seem that. I'm going on 10/28 so guess they'll be sticking with the compound

• Like 1

Yes just seem that. I'm going on 10/28 so guess they'll be sticking with the compound

I know you passed up a nice one, but I would gladly shoot a 125" + in compliance with their rules. Did you have a lot of shot opps or at least see a lot of deer? I assume that is still pre rut....

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I know you passed up a nice one, but I would gladly shoot a 125" + in compliance with their rules. Did you have a lot of shot opps or at least see a lot of deer? I assume that is still pre rut....

I seen a good amount of deer especially considering the time I went. Last trip, I was there for Columbus Day weekend as one of the guys that came with me was a school teacher. The weather was still warm yet one guy wounded one, I passed and seen a bunch of deer and the third guy seen a load of deer but just not what he was looking for. So basically we were into deer everyday 

I seen a good amount of deer especially considering the time I went. Last trip, I was there for Columbus Day weekend as one of the guys that came with me was a school teacher. The weather was still warm yet one guy wounded one, I passed and seen a bunch of deer and the third guy seen a load of deer but just not what he was looking for. So basically we were into deer everyday 

Sounds awesome. I reached out to them.

44 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sometime in October would work best. I've been on a lot of out of state hunts but not a Whitetail hunt since Texas in 2000.

Well I know there's some openings when I'm there. I like that week when there cruising and searching more than when there chasing in full rut. I used to hunt Illinois during the rut and they'd be chasing all over but it was hard to hunt them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds awesome. I reached out to them.

I just got off the phone with him, I have some guys that are interested in the DIY hunts. I told him you may be reaching out also he's looking forward to talking with you