Tara or Tyrone Forage soybean

Anyone ever hear of these "Tara or Tyrone Forage soybeans", or know anything about these or use them? I just found them and did some research, I believe the Tara Forage Soybean is designed for our region, where Tyrone is a group 7. It does not state the maturity group for Tara blend. The product says it can grow over 6ft produce over 40% crude protein. Mossy Oak Biologic i noticed sells them so that kind of worries me. But I think i am going to try them, mix them half and half with 2 Pioneer AG soybeans for winter foods.  I have yet to try a forage soy so this will be new to me.. Good price too

http://www.taraforagesoybeans.com/

Good idea to mix AG and forage together, I imagine.  I get AG beans for free, but I think forage beans would fit my needs better.    I don't have alot of acres, so the forage would stand up to browsing better.  

$70 isn't a bad price at all.  I'm curious how they will perform for you.  Deer sure love beans!

• Like 1

They sure do, people laughed at me but I surround my beans with Irish spring soap until they are tall enough to withstand some graze pressure. It worked great. Take the soap down. When your ready and after time they start eating it lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a 1.5 acre plot I usually do. But I'm going to talk to the landowner next door that I hunt and basically manage for, and see if I can get 2 or 3 acres of a field or 2 to plant strictly soybeans. So at least a 1.5 acre spot.

14 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yes, the prior years have been RR . Hence the price difference
I'm sure.

RR beans are really nice but pricey, I was going to do RR corn but holy $$$$ I think it was close to $1.75/lb. and that was cheap locally.

New York:                                                                                                         

Sinclairville Seed Company
Ken Smith
6454 Andrews
POB 535
Sinclairville, NY 14782
716-962-8345
cell: 716-499-8720

www.sinclairvilleseed.com

K & K West
Honeoye Falls, NY
585-737-8769

You may want to contact these guys in NY the sell RR eagle brand forage soybeans...along the same line as tara,just RR.

Edited by growalot

Yea I was going to get ahold of K&K West and ask a few questions. My buddy is buying 3 acres worth as well so whichever way we go, we are doing the same planting. Originally it was going to be Eagle seed soys but idk, I like this Tara soy. That's a ton of pods for a forage bean.. Probably absolutely perfect growing conditions tho lol

I .like the idea of pure summer forage. but idk what kind of time i will have this year to do any experimenting or alot of projects, we are expecting our 3rd child at the end of June. So "Just in case", my intentions were to try and get a double whammy, summer forage(forage bean) and winter(AG) as well as maybe cow peas or iron clay.. Worse case if time lets me, Ill over seed some brassicas into them if they dont do well or get hammered.