Crazy price ranges out there....

My brains about fried looking at seeds ,mixes...price and shipping differences...crazy on ranges of some..I compared  Welter mixes to preferred seed her in NYS crazy:

Wildlife Forage Feast | Low Maintenance Forage Seed

ff222.JPG

Enlarge

*Weight: 20# = $105.00 + NYS tax and dealer mark up if you don't pick it up

Quantity:

Summer, Fall & Winter Wildlife Forage Feast

40% Dwarf Essex Forage Rape
15% Hobson Forage Rape
15% Bonar Forage Rape
12% Improved Forage Kale
9% Appin Turnip
9% Pasja Hybrid Brassica

Seeding Rate = 6 lbs. / Acre

Welter seed:

BIG BUCK BRASSICA MIX
. . . . . . . . . . . .
Per lb.
$2.60 x 20 # = 52.00 +18.85 in shipping = 70.85 + 3.00 for under 25# + 70.85 no tax I believe
By popular demand, we have formulated a mixture of our
customers’ favorite brassicas in one special blend! Big Buck
Brassica Mix is a mixture of Purple Top Turnips, multi
crowned Pasja Hybrid brassica, Ground Hog Radish, and
Dwarf Essex Rape. Excellent as a deer attractant and food
source! Plant 7-10 lbs. per acre.

117.50 for 25# of their similar mix  then add shipping...it's worse than the preferred seed mix...I think I have hit nearly every site and seed/seed mixes...Some have actually sent me e-mails with coupons to save on shipping ,because I left the carts  when I saw the costs..... Learned alot about some new seeds out there though..

on that preferred seed I was thinking the same thing...and if you break down the cost of each seed in the mix...well LOL...but hey guys don't have the time or I would assume patience to delve in to this as some of us do...There is mark up and then there is bend over and up...:wink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, growalot said:

117.50 for 25# of their similar mix  then add shipping...it's worse than the preferred seed mix...I think I have hit nearly every site and seed/seed mixes...Some have actually sent me e-mails with coupons to save on shipping ,because I left the carts  when I saw the costs..... Learned alot about some new seeds out there though..

Dumb questions...are seed prices better in late fall as opposed to now? can you load up on seed at a better price and save until needed?

Do the deer eat the brassica mix?  I had a mix last year that included purple top turnips and some brassicas, and they didn't touch them.  The turnips were half out of the ground, not hard to get to, ended up with turnip soup, roasted turnips, turnip casserole, not roasted venison...

They tear them up in my neck of the woods. My plots look like bulldozers have been going through them right now. They usually eat the greens and small bulbs first, and then dig up the other bulbs later in the winter. I usually use a 30% rape, 30% Groundhog Radish, 40% Purple Top Turnip mix that I put together myself using seed from the local AG store. Ive had great luck with it the last few years.

I have also used SplitG2's seed mixes with great results.

• Like 2

It can take up to 2 years for a herd to recognize brassica as a great food choice. This is why I always start new to the area or new types of seed with things they know and like already. So if the deer in your area do not know brassica as a good feed...give them time. It's like when I first started soybeans...no one here planted them at the time and the deer barely touched them until just before leaf drop...Now watch out!

Biz this stuff is great for the guys with little time ,small areas and $$$$...but my problem is...look closely at most of those seed labels and you will find your actually not getting 9 #'s of seed...They have a large Percentage of added(seed coat) material to seed. Now that happens and seed coat is a great thing...but some of their #'s just seem...a tad excessive to me/IMO. Then I also tend to break down actual seed cost within a blend. Most of that stuff is 2-4 a pound...that's generous on some of it...which is why I and like WNYBH tend to buy and mix...I will still buy "bagged" mixes...like the plot shot...but it has to be a deal...and then once I have a "base" I tweek it with my own choices...because they NEVER actually plant as much as they say...at least the way I like my seedings

• Like 1

That stuff is mostly rye grass, isnt it? Youd be better off getting some winter rye (not the same thing as rye grass) and maybe throw a little clover and/or turnip seed in with it. It will grow with a minimum of ground work. Granted you may not get the optimal results that way, but it will do alright. You can make a better mix yourself for cheaper than that stuff. Spend the extra cash on fertilizer/lime.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Biz this stuff is great for the guys with little time ,small areas and $$$$...but my problem is...look closely at most of those seed labels and you will find your actually not getting 9 #'s of seed...They have a large Percentage of added(seed coat) material to seed. Now that happens and seed coat is a great thing...but some of their #'s just seem...a tad excessive to me/IMO. Then I also tend to break down actual seed cost within a blend. Most of that stuff is 2-4 a pound...that's generous on some of it...which is why I and like WNYBH tend to buy and mix...I will still buy "bagged" mixes...like the plot shot...but it has to be a deal...and then once I have a "base" I tweek it with my own choices...because they NEVER actually plant as much as they say...at least the way I like my seedings

39 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That stuff is mostly rye grass, isnt it? Youd be better off getting some winter rye (not the same thing as rye grass) and maybe throw a little clover and/or turnip seed in with it. It will grow with a minimum of ground work. Granted you may not get the optimal results that way, but it will do alright. You can make a better mix yourself for cheaper than that stuff. Spend the extra cash on fertilizer/lime.

I did fast acting lime twice last year and did WTI clover, but it gotten eaten so fast I never saw it grow more than an inch or two.

Their clover never produce a lot the first year...the second it pops...read their articles...it mentions this several times...I planted chicory plus last year. I won it,it is mostly their clover. The Deer had the area mowed to dirt way before season started...I over seeded with a bit of turnips just to keep their interest...I expect it to be lush this spring..but will do a bit of frost seeding.

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

Their clover never produce a lot the first year...the second it pops...read their articles...it mentions this several times...I planted chicory plus last year. I won it,it is mostly their clover. The Deer had the area mowed to dirt way before season started...I over seeded with a bit of turnips just to keep their interest...I expect it to be lush this spring..but will do a bit of frost seeding.

If that's the case. When should I expect to see it grow this year? I planted in late august if I remember correctly. it grew about 1 inch quickly but then deer hammered it and it was gone for the fall. I had planned to put the no plow in same area, but maybe I should wait to see if the clover grows this spring? will it grow even with all the leaves covering it or should I leaf blow the area like I did before I limed and planted.

If it wasn't stressed to bad before it got some roots established..this spring check the crowns to see if there is any growth then hit it with a 0-20-20 or a 10 -20-20. Just keep the nitrogen low..weeds love nitrogen. Also their deliberate ph finicky..check the ph level they like it close to neutral.

BTW.. I Believe the very fast growing clover in their mix is an annual they include as a fast growing green up cover for the slow growing perennial clover in the mix. It keeps customers happy.

Edited by growalot

14 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If that's the case. When should I expect to see it grow this year? I planted in late august if I remember correctly. it grew about 1 inch quickly but then deer hammered it and it was gone for the fall. I had planned to put the no plow in same area, but maybe I should wait to see if the clover grows this spring? will it grow even with all the leaves covering it or should I leaf blow the area like I did before I limed and planted.

Depending on how far north you are, it should start to grow in April/May.  The problem with late summer/fall planting clover on its own is winterkill and in your case overbrowsing.  If the deer didn't kill it before it got established, then you should be all set.  Definitely wait and see if the clover grows.  It could save you alot of time and effort.  Raking or blowing the leaves off wouldn't hurt.  Chopping them up with a mower or brush hog might also work. 

Even if the clover is thin, I would stick with it.  It is a better food source than No Plow.  With that said, No Plow is sometimes a good choice for a brand new plot.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Wow ...it's taken some time but looks like I have a new seed source...not bad on prices in Ohio ...shipping is what it is but they are doing some stuffing...$5 open bag charge but prices are low enough it's not bad...and Daughter has friends in Ohio that visit and she visits...I just need to see how close they are...it might work well for me..

10# of Balansa

5# of alfalfa

5# of medium red

Hancock beat them out on the iron clay and hemp pricing. with free shipping

• Like 1