Walkie Talkies?

+1 on Midland just don't get hung-up on that 36 miles range, it ain't gonna happen. Open space will give you some distance, in the dense woods it's pretty much line of sight plus maybe few stone throws. Many channels and privacy options, good size and sturdy it survived few stand drops like nothing happened.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maytom said:

We use to use them as well, but any "Hills" in the area and the signal was lost!!! Very frustrating to say the least. everyone uses cell phones now.

The land where I'm hunting is flat (Northern Neck area). Someone suggested marine VHF radios, does anyone have experience with these?

I don't think you can use VHF on land, not sure of the regulations in that state.  The radios are good but like stated your line of sight is key.  36 miles is possible but I have only heard it work from one mountain to another with perfect line of sight on clear days.  Typically it depends on your line of sight, humidity and how many leaves are on the trees.  Simply put the more obstructed it is the worse your connection is.  I have used Midland and Motorola, both work similar.

It is really the only option in remote area with no cell towers.  Good luck!

11 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Thanks Steve. Is this the same model of Midland radio you use?

The ones I have are the "25" miles ones same type. Like TACC says not sure how they come up with the distance but I have used mine at 10 miles. I have also used the VHF type with guys that had them while running coyotes. The VHF will reach a lot farther and are probably more consistent but are pretty expensive to buy and I think a license is required. No big deal getting the license. All that is required is filling out a application letting them know you are using them. A lot of farmers and construction workers use the VHF but with cell phones the way they are today radios are slowly going by the way side.

Nice part about the two-ways is we can use them in the Adirondacks where cell phone service can be quite spotty.

They also come in handy when shopping with the wife and she is at one end of the mall or store and I am at the other.:rolleyes:

I think you are referring to GMRS radios that have the longer range - if using GMRS bands you should have the FCC license to use them (listening is free, but to communicate, you need a license). FRS and GMRS are both UHF frequencies.

As for marine radio, that is suppose to be used on water or water-to-shore communications - if marine M-HF or HF bands are used then an FCC license is required.

For "walkie-talkies", I recommend the type that uses the rechargeable packs and AAA/AA batteries. That way you swap-out if your batteries go dead until you return home to re-charge the battery pack.

The distances they mention with the walk-talkie radios is in laboratory conditions (or estimates in the extreme ideal conditions)  The FRS radios all are 1/2 watt power maximum (as per federal law) and the FRS radios can only have a permanent fix antenna.  No age restrictions on FRS (Family Radio Service)

GMRS (Generl Mobile Radio Service) radios can use 1-5 watts, so in combination with a base station (fixed position with antenna on tower or tree) 5-25 mile range.  FCC license is required.  You need to be 18 to apply for the license.

Do not buy the BaoFeng/PoFung/BTech or Woxun UHF/VHF radios you see on Amazon and eBay - those are for Amateur Radio use and an FCC license is required (after taking and passing the exams).

FYI, the FCC has arrested, jailed and seized equipment of some recent offenders (mainly those that were interfering with Police and other emergency radio systems) in NY.

Another option is the CB hand-helds - no license required, more range, but more expensive than the FRS radios, .

I don't think National Forest would have a coverage, with such vast land it would be 10 times worse than Adirondacks which is in the middle of a busy state. If NY is bad, VA has a potential to be even worse but I agree it all depends where exactly they are going. Alexandria, great coverage - Fort Valley or Shenandoah I doubt it. I have been there few times with no luck for cell.

Voice coverage and data coverage for phone are not always mutual.  I have been in a spot that I could text, but not make a call and other places where I had voice coverage, but no data service..

Visitor center and main camp grounds in Shenandoah had limited (spotty) phone service (on Verizon) a few years ago.  Go off on the trails or driving along Skyline drive - nada.

Kennesaw National Battlefield Park just outside of Atlanta Georgia, has limited cell service too, and that is just a hilly area, not remote at all.

I picked up a pair of Uniden FRS/GMRS radios specifically for the Shenandoah trip in case we needed to split up with the kids.  If I had to buy them now, I would opt for the ones with the NOAA alerts (no phone service or TV in the campground I go to in the Catskills). 

Four days off-grid, you need able able to swap-out batteries if you really use the radios, so models that also use AA or AAA batteries is a good investment.  Also allows the option of just buying rechargeable AA or AAA batteries when the battery pack dies completely.

Just this year I needed to replace the rechargeables in them, as they finally stopped holding a charge. Replacement re-chargeable battery packs are not cheap - but less than buying a new radio. 

Every camp out and hike, we had them in case we needed them, - including for calling the kids back from playing in a spring to have dinner.  Ended up needing a bag of rice once because one of the kids dropped it in the water.

I carry a radio with me when I go out hunting (even alone) in case I need help and there is no phone service (which I can show you a few places on public land in Orange County, NY that has no phone coverage, even on top of ridge staring at a paved public road less than 1 mile from a firehouse).

• Like 1

"...I can show you a few places on public land in Orange County, NY that has no phone coverage, even on top of ridge staring at a paved public road less than 1 mile from a firehouse..." Ouch, that sucks... That always bothered me, we sent a man to the moon over 45 years ago and we could talk to them. By now every other utility pole or any tall structure should be wi-fi repeater or mini cell tower maintained by power companies and paid by taxes.. ok, my rant is over, 10-42 out

• Like 1

8 hours ago, growalot said:

See now thanks for that  perspective...It's been a while since I've driven the Appalachian range so I didn't know how much or what changed ie towers...other than wind turbines popping up in PA

No, hunting the Northern Neck peninsula, near the Chesapeake/eastern side of Virginia..flat as a pancake there. They don't use cell phones because multiple guys are communicating on a drive, and you need to be ready if the dogs chase a deer your way. After reading up and research, I'm fairly certain they are using marine radios. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, growalot said:

Serious question... Why not texting or calling on a cell? With all the towers around now days, new phones and service...isn't there better coverage?

I'm near Bath/Savona. Verizon works okay at the house, not so good to not at all out back. ATT doesn't work at all. We usually carry radios and phones.

• Like 2

Sounds kinda of like where my parents live.

One end of their house, almost no cell service(it's intermittent) on the other side 2-3 bars.

Too far from town for Cable or DSL line, so only have a Mi-Fi device for internet.  Take it into the wrong room and lose internet service. So it's over-the-air stations (you can see the three TV antenna towers from the house) and satellite dish for TV.

Needless to say, they have to keep their land-line phone in case of emergency.

Sad part - only 3 miles from the center of town.

A lot of the local farmers have still have radios in their trucks because of low cell coverage outside of town.