Wood working project

I started to build a new coffee table and 2 end tables for our living room. My wife has been very patient as she asked me if I could build them years ago! Every time I start a new bow rack or beard board I get reminded. They still need lots of work like drawers and bottom shelf, but I've got lots of time and my shop is heated.

IMG_20170212_165303944.jpg

IMG_20170212_152703237.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Looks awesome. Is that oak? What will the finish be? 

yes I had some red oak trees milled several years ago and let it air dry. I'll probably stain it with Early American stain and lots of coats of wipe on poly.

Thanks all, I'll keep the pics coming.

• 1 month later...

My project came to a halt as my better half hasn't picked a stain she likes. So I started to build a portable gun rack for a friend. I added a wood burned scene on the headboard. Still needs varnish and I'll add some felt where the guns rest. Post the finished product in a few days.IMG_20170410_184518662.jpg

IMG_20170410_184536160.jpg

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Zem18 said:

Wish I had some of that talent. I'm an amateur. Looks great.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm an amateur also, I had the opportunity to work with a friend in his shop and he taught me a lot. I wish he was still around (RIP Dave). His tools were much better and there are times when I have to ask myself how would Dave do this? Slowly I have been acquiring tools for my shop but  I will never have the shop he had, or the ability. Just keep trying and you'll be surprised what you can do, just be patient and careful around the saws and planers! 

I still need a dust collector! the dust in my shop is everywhere!

• Like 2

I too just bought some used tools and I'm slowly getting there making things out of pallet wood. I have the same dust issue but am building a homemade cyclone using a shop vac I saw on YouTube. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I see you went with pocket hole joinery.  I used to dabble in woodworking a long time ago (relatively speaking), and I only had to make one piece with mortise and tenon joints before I bought a pocket hole jig and never looked back. 

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

I see you went with pocket hole joinery.  I used to dabble in woodworking a long time ago (relatively speaking), and I only had to make one piece with mortise and tenon joints before I bought a pocket hole jig and never looked back. 

Me too, I'm a terrible hack but I can actually make some things that look decent with my Kreg jig