Backpack overnight hunt

sodfather

24 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Ok something I always wanted to do is go on a backcountry overnight hunt. How many of you have done one of these excursions? I'm looking for a state land that you can camp in during hunting season. What are some of the items I need and what I need to know? Thanks

Depends on the season and how far back in you want to go. Early bow, a 3 season 2 man tent or hammock will do for shelter. I would go with the tent to make sure you have a dry place for gear, but to each their own. A few flashlights and a head lamp ( spare batteries ), a good first aid kit, maps and a compass are the top priorities. A good sleeping pad, a solid cold weather sleeping bag ( if it's rated to 20, it's really only good to about 35 ), packable folding saw, a good solid knife that can help cutting wood, plenty of spare rope or 50/50 cord ( don't skimp on the para cord if you go that way! ), perhaps an alcohol or trioxine stove, plenty of water proof matches and a couple lighters, some sort of cook kit ( stay away from aluminum-go stainless at minimum! ), and of course water and food. Food is the tricky one, you can buy dehydrated meals like the Mountain House stuff ( which are actually pretty good and somewhat affordable ), but you will need to pack a lot more water to make them. Or, you can pack thing like microwave rice ( you can heat in a cook pan ) and jerky, this will get you buy and is lighter to pack in.

Severe cold and snow is a whole different game! You best have your shit wired tight if going out in this! The gear is pretty much the same, but you want gear rated for severe cold.

Check out this YouTube Channel. He gives honest and tested reviews of the gear he tries. Most of it's aimed at bad weather.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOutdoorGearReview

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Hunting NY member .....Haven't heard from him in a while but this guy does it up right and very enjoyable to hear his stories.

I thought about linking to Robins threads, but he canoes in, and wasn't sure if sodfather had a canoe or boat to access lands.

If you can ATV ( which isn't allowed on most state land ), snowmobile ( a few state lands allow it ), or boat in, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities and comforts. Big canvas wall tents and stoves! A cot or even a small folding bed. Real food!

I've  done things from  canoeing the Yukon to hunting/ camping in Montana in -6 degrees . An over night in NY ? Tent , sleeping pad, bag, whatever food you like and perhaps a stove like a jet boil, rain gear and a change of clothes .

A good sized flask and a few cigars .

Personally if weather is good I've got no problem with a bag under the stars , a large ham and cheese sub, a six pack , and a couple Bone Shaker smokes.

Pretty much what I do a few nights a year , to reconnect me to the earth, although there are some uncharted rivers I'd like to shoot  way north of the Yukon perhaps for my 60th.....

• Like 3

My very first deer hunt was with a  high school buddy. We hauled a bunch of stuff up the hill (approximately 3/4 of a mile) and built a lean-to out of poles, branches, and leaves and spent three days and nights up there, eating a squirrel here and there along with our other food supplies, and just generally roughing it. By the way squirrel cooked over an open fire on a stick looks like a lot better idea than it actually turns out to be. Nothing wrong with the taste of the squirrell, but when it was done, it was a pretty tough decision as to whether to eat it or make a pair of shoes out of it. No deer, but we had a lot of fun. We did manage to stay warm even though we got about 6" of snow right off the bat.

4 of us guys from work went on a do-it-yourself moose hunt with tents. We had two canoes and a 8' aluminum boat with a 7.5 Eska motor. We drove up to Shining tree to Three Bears Camp, and rented a cabin (Canadian law required the us of an outfitter). In the morning, we took dirt roads (only a little better than log roads) for 40 miles. Off-loaded the boat and canoes and supplies. Got into a large lake...went to the other end of that....portaged 150 yards.... into another lake and went to the swampy end of that lake. By the time we were done, there wasn't even the sound of an airplane. We did get a moose on that trip. It was great! No down-sides, just fun. Of course we spent the whole year planning it and driving everyone at work crazy with practicing moose calling.

• Like 1

I do it every so often from my camp in the Adirondacks. I pack very light, basic survival gear that I carry every day. Only things I add for an over night is a good sleeping bag "I think mine is called a jungle bag with the liner" and my jet boil "not the brand just a dry fuel jet boil with built in cup, uses sticks and boils water in about a minute" I'll pack a couple packs of raman noodles and a couple packs of oatmeal and that will last me 2 nights. I use a closed foam pad that is about4' long and rolls up small and weighs nothing to sleep on. I use tyvec as a tarp to put over me and sleep with a cold camp. I have done this down to about 0 degrees and never had a problem.

My over night pack doesn't add 10lbs and makes camping very comfortable for a night or two. Light weight and a small pack allows me to hunt all day pick a camp site and sleep and be hunting before light the next morning. I don't have to go set up a camp when I could be hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

True Story: When I was in my twenties two of my friends and I took a backpacking/trout fishing trip near Rosco NY to fish the beaverkill river. We loaded up the back packs for three days & each one of us carried two six packs in addition to our tents, food, sleeping bags etc.  Since the Cherry Wood State Forest was on the edge of the Beaverkill we decided to camp there and fish our way toward Rosco.

We parked the car loaded up and went on our way. The guy that had all the info & topo maps led us out into the woods and we ended up walking about 2 1/2 hrs. till we found a nice level spot near a stream to set up camp. Dropped the back packs, got the tents set up, had a beer, and began to gather firewood since it was pretty cold out.

Suddenly just on the other side of the stream a car drives by. So I say to the "guide" what the (I won't say what). I got the topo map from him, took a compass reading, and as near as I could tell we were about 100 yards from the road the car was parked on. You have got to be kidding me!!!

I walked down the hill, crossed the stream, and walked to the car in twenty minutes. Got the car, drove it up, and parked parallel to the campsite so we wouldn't have as far to walk. We decided to stay there because it was a nice spot, it was getting dark, and we knew we were going to be doing a lot of walking the next few days fishing. Turned out to be a nice trip and we still laugh about it to this day but I still don't trust him to be able to read a map and navigate.

• Like 7

Indian Lake has some great opportunities if you want an ADK hunting experience. I have done this a few times with buddies in  NZ rifle season and we had snow on the ground. We stayed in the campsites on east shore of the lake (not on an Island). were able to hunt right out of the campsites on foot. There was a marina on the west side that rented boats. with 4 guys and a lot of gear we rented two. Were up there for 4-5 day stays. Great time, big country but definitely not SZ deer densities...lol 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_ej_operations_pdf/indianlakeislands2016.pdf

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

True Story: When I was in my twenties two of my friends and I took a backpacking/trout fishing trip near Rosco NY to fish the beaverkill river. We loaded up the back packs for three days & each one of us carried two six packs in addition to our tents, food, sleeping bags etc.  Since the Cherry Wood State Forest was on the edge of the Beaverkill we decided to camp there and fish our way toward Rosco.

We parked the car loaded up and went on our way. The guy that had all the info & topo maps led us out into the woods and we ended up walking about 2 1/2 hrs. till we found a nice level spot near a stream to set up camp. Dropped the back packs, got the tents set up, had a beer, and began to gather firewood since it was pretty cold out.

Suddenly just on the other side of the stream a car drives by. So I say to the "guide" what the (I won't say what). I got the topo map from him, took a compass reading, and as near as I could tell we were about 100 yards from the road the car was parked on. You have got to be kidding me!!!

I walked down the hill, crossed the stream, and walked to the car in twenty minutes. Got the car, drove it up, and parked parallel to the campsite so we wouldn't have as far to walk. We decided to stay there because it was a nice spot, it was getting dark, and we knew we were going to be doing a lot of walking the next few days fishing. Turned out to be a nice trip and we still laugh about it to this day but I still don't trust him to be able to read a map and navigate.

That's funny, great memory

Ok something I always wanted to do is go on a backcountry overnight hunt. How many of you have done one of these excursions? I'm looking for a state land that you can camp in during hunting season. What are some of the items I need and what I need to know? Thanks

Was talking with my brother about something like this last night. I think with the exception of WMA's, unique areas, and any refuge or preserve, camping in public lands is allowed, state parks I believe may have fees. But lots of public land available to camp, my goal is to get so far out to camp hardly a soul has set foot on the rugged terrain (at least in recent years). The public land near me is flat land swamps, no camping (WMA) and for the most part the closest large chunk of public around, drawing lots of ppl from nearby populated areas.Unless u go find a spot hidden miles in the cattails, u seldom find a secluded spot.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Just don't wait too many years to do it. You might all of a sudden find that time can wipe out your ability to handle adverse camping conditions. I worked in quite a few of these kinds of back-pack trips, but I will say that I can't really do it now......lol. But the memories of some of those trips are priceless.

Make a float plan, solo trips are fun but letting someone know when you expect to get out of the woods is imperative to your survival if something goes terribly wrong.  Calling them when you get out lets them know you are ok.  No call gets help started your direction.  Float plan on car/truck in envelope allows rangers to know where you plan on staying in case they do need to find you or send rescue, should be on the windshield under wipers in waterproof zip lock bag.

GPS location device if you really go back far, past 7 miles is what I consider far from any road.  Calamity can happen at any location, if you have health issues or are prone to getting hurt this piece of tech is a life saver in an emergency.

Maps water proof, compass 2, GPS, fire starters, proper gear for the time of year, bug nets if early season, tent and sleeping bag, mat.  Knife, rope, cord, flash lights, binoculars and good boots!  Enough food to last more than you plan on staying.  Peanut butter is excellent choice for extra food, takes little space, provides great energy and can last a long time if needed.  Water purifier is much lighter than packing in water or drinks a couple of larger Gatorade bottles work well for storage after you drink them.

The early part of the trip is most dangerous!  Reasoning is that if you go for a few days or more and something goes wrong the first day, you have over a week until anyone even knows you are in trouble sometimes, be safe!  Consider bringing a friend on your scouting trips, it will allow him/her to have a insiders view on where you go and what you plan on scouting.

I would stay away from using the water as a mode to get in unless you are familiar with boating, falling in the water can kill as the water is so cold and very dangerous if you overload the boat.

As a beginner I would not go very deep in the woods to start, the more experience you get the more comfort you will have at going in deeper.  Remember you have to get the game out! 

NFA -  Good Luck and be Safe! 

Keep us posted on your progress, wishing you the best of luck!  Moose River Plains has a large area with many locations to do this.  If this spot interests you let me know, I have a bunch of spots you can try out.  Indian lake as mentioned is another location that has many great spots and is a bit closer to civilization.

Dan Ladd has a book out on locations to hunt, I have not read the book yet but hear it is a wealth of information. 

It is sold out now but I think you can still order it.  This one I need simply for the valuable data it provides!

http://adkhunter.com/books-dvds/

1-Book-Cover.jpg

• Like 2

You know, I've got a good memory, but its just a little bit short, but I remember somebody on this site that posted a couple of great videos of a canoe camping trip up to the Adirondacks. The videos and the trips were absolutely fantastic and quite detailed. But I can't recall that he ever posted anything else, so I don't remember the name. If somebody can remember who it was, he would have  a lot to add to this thread.

36 minutes ago, Doc said:

You know, I've got a good memory, but its just a little bit short, but I remember somebody on this site that posted a couple of great videos of a canoe camping trip up to the Adirondacks. The videos and the trips were absolutely fantastic and quite detailed. But I can't recall that he ever posted anything else, so I don't remember the name. If somebody can remember who it was, he would have  a lot to add to this thread.

Fellas,

Not trying to hijack here, but I'm planning on doing something similar this season. Thinking of going up in late aug/sept to camp for a few days with my wife and do a little scouting and hiking then head up in rifle when they get some snow. Thinking of either sleeping in back of my truck (have topper) or two man tent. Also thinking of getting a Delorme satellite messeger/tracker if things should go sideways or to just stay in touch with home. I've been focusing on west Canada wilderness in my topo/satellite research. I guess because if it's size and remoteness and also some of the trailheads seem way off main roads and shouldn't have a problem being away from others. Just wondering if this is sound reasoning? Should I be looking in other areas?

Fellas,

Not trying to hijack here, but I'm planning on doing something similar this season. Thinking of going up in late aug/sept to camp for a few days with my wife and do a little scouting and hiking then head up in rifle when they get some snow. Thinking of either sleeping in back of my truck (have topper) or two man tent. Also thinking of getting a Delorme satellite messeger/tracker if things should go sideways or to just stay in touch with home. I've been focusing on west Canada wilderness in my topo/satellite research. I guess because if it's size and remoteness and also some of the trailheads seem way off main roads and shouldn't have a problem being away from others. Just wondering if this is sound reasoning? Should I be looking in other areas?

Look into Perkins clearing "speculator" good deer population and. Plenty remote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

LI Waterman  You can access this area from Moose River Plains also, took two of my bucks from this area.  Great place to start and it's remote, not many hunters and very few deer in many spots. 

Bunch of other spots you can try but this is one of the larger tracks of remote land in the southern part of the ADK. 

If your interested give me a PM I can offer many choices and additional options. 

FYI:  I set up a camp in Moose River, this year I will go later possibly the 20th of Nov, if you want to try this area I have a few remote locations for you to try.  You would have a life line in case of any issues or if you shoot a brute and need help getting it out.  The boys always have extra food so a free meal is always possibility if you make it up.  We like to bring hunters back to our camp and feed them while telling stories of past hunts.  Great bunch of hunters and just really good people I have meet over the years in this area!  Sodfather you also have the option if interested. 

Depending on the time, I might be solo so you would have a base camp to start from if interested.  I set up a big wall tent.  14-16ft with a 10 ft  extension for cooking.  Usually I am in for 2 weeks and only have hunters with me for a few days, usually 4 or 5 days is the most any other hunters stay.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

LI Waterman  You can access this area from Moose River Plains also, took two of my bucks from this area.  Great place to start and it's remote, not many hunters and very few deer in many spots. 

Bunch of other spots you can try but this is one of the larger tracks of remote land in the southern part of the ADK. 

If your interested give me a PM I can offer many choices and additional options. 

FYI:  I set up a camp in Moose River, this year I will go later possibly the 20th of Nov, if you want to try this area I have a few remote locations for you to try.  You would have a life line in case of any issues or if you shoot a brute and need help getting it out.  The boys always have extra food so a free meal is always possibility if you make it up.  We like to bring hunters back to our camp and feed them while telling stories of past hunts.  Great bunch of hunters and just really good people I have meet over the years in this area!  Sodfather you also have the option if interested. 

Depending on the time, I might be solo so you would have a base camp to start from if interested.  I set up a big wall tent.  14-16ft with a 10 ft  extension for cooking.  Usually I am in for 2 weeks and only have hunters with me for a few days, usually 4 or 5 days is the most any other hunters stay.

This all sounds real nice I know we're a ways from that point but thanks I may just hit ya up on your offer. And a first timer like myself could benefit from someone who has experience.

• Like 1