Deer blind

52 farmer

1 hour ago, hunter said:

I saw an ad for one called Big Mike and I think they came out with an even taller version. Not sure if it will be tall enough but good luck.

I was going to say big Mikes also, I have one and can't get to box but I think it's 80 inches tall and there was a taller one. XT =extra tall

I bought a blind and always felt restricted, felt like I was missing something by only being able to see out the windows.  I scrapped the blind and built a ground blind.  Decent size so able to put backpack on the ground, drinks, snacks all easily accessible.   Have about 20 of them scattered throughout our hunting property, all built around trees so you can use a tree seat or other small type of folding seat.  Good concealment when sitting, and if you stand up to stretch legs you've got the tree to lean against.  

20161118_102829.jpg

20161118_102850.jpg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, boo711 said:

I bought a blind and always felt restricted, felt like I was missing something by only being able to see out the windows.  I scrapped the blind and built a ground blind.  Decent size so able to put backpack on the ground, drinks, snacks all easily accessible.   Have about 20 of them scattered throughout our hunting property, all built around trees so you can use a tree seat or other small type of folding seat.  Good concealment when sitting, and if you stand up to stretch legs you've got the tree to lean against.  

20161118_102829.jpg

20161118_102850.jpg

Great idea for gun hunting ,not sure it would work for archery.

• Like 1

boo711, since I pretty much quit hunting out of tree stands years ago. This is exactly what I do now. Got dozens of them scattered over two properties. And each year, add at least two or three new ones. And always build them with what I find laying on the ground nearby. With a good sized tree as a back rest and used to break up the human form a bit.  I love being on the the same level as the deer I'm hunting! Placed with wind direction in mind, many times I've had deer close enough to touch! And have taken a number of deer with both bow and gun from these blinds! I have thought about building one large enough to put in a blind like the OP described. For those drizzling days during the pre-rut when the big boys could show up at any time, to stay nice and dry. I have a dog house blind that may work as I'm very comfortable shooting my bow from a sitting position. Looked up the Big Mike blinds, they look really nice too!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 9:23 AM, 52 farmer said:

Great idea for gun hunting ,not sure it would work for archery.

I personally haven't taken a deer with a bow out of one of these yet.  We use these down south where we do most of our gun hunting.  Might hit maybe once during bow season just to do a preseason check on the areas we hunt.  Or a morning or afternoon hunt the last day of bow since we will be down there for the opener of gun season.  

On 2/16/2017 at 9:31 AM, grampy said:

boo711, since I pretty much quit hunting out of tree stands years ago. This is exactly what I do now. Got dozens of them scattered over two properties. And each year, add at least two or three new ones. And always build them with what I find laying on the ground nearby. With a good sized tree as a back rest and used to break up the human form a bit.  I love being on the the same level as the deer I'm hunting! Placed with wind direction in mind, many times I've had deer close enough to touch! And have taken a number of deer with both bow and gun from these blinds! I have thought about building one large enough to put in a blind like the OP described. For those drizzling days during the pre-rut when the big boys could show up at any time, to stay nice and dry. I have a dog house blind that may work as I'm very comfortable shooting my bow from a sitting position. Looked up the Big Mike blinds, they look really nice too!

I love hunting from these as well.  I forget how long ago now, maybe 5-10 years  there was an opening day where it rained from sun up to sun down.   I luckily knew this was coming so I bought one those tree umbrellas.   That made a huge difference.  Plus waterproof clothing.  Woods were quiet all day.  But I saw 14 deer that day, no shots unfortunately.   Even though it rained I guess it was a pretty exciting day now that I think of it!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 2:19 PM, 52 farmer said:

Thinking about buying 1,any input would be great.I am 6'4" tall really looking for something i can stand up and shoot in.

You'd be welcome to try out my Rhino blind I got last fall if that one is in the running.........

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2017 at 8:51 AM, peepsight said:

I have several Barronett blinds (maker of the Big Mike). I'm very happy with them so far

Holy Crap ! I was in the Field & Stream store in Henrietta today and saw one of the Barronette Big Mike blinds . The ground dimensions are 59" X 59" . From hub to hub is 75" and the height is 80"  ( 6' 8" ) . The sale price is $149.99 . I am only 5' 8"  and had plenty of room in there . 

I like threads like this.  We all have our preferences, but it's good to get different points of view.  

I have had good luck with Primos Predator Den.  I like the Predator camo pattern, and I give it good marks for durability.  I have sat in it during some serious downpours, and stayed totally dry.  Shot a couple bucks out of them with the rifle.

I haven't had any kind of luck with the bow out of a pop-up blind, and have switched to a natural blind like Boo, except with more brush.  I enjoyed using them.  Years ago I scouted a cut cornfield midday, cut a "nest" in a hedgerow, built a bench out of field stone, and shot a small doe that evening with my bow.  There's nothing like using your wits and what's on hand to get it done.

I have been curious about the Barronette (Big Mike) blinds.  I see them at Dick's and like the looks of them.  I'm only 5'8", and read reviews that say the windows are up high, and hard to see out of when seated.  Anyone have any experience with this?  

I'm looking forward to less snow and more Spring weather.  Apple tree pruning, turkey scouting, brush blind building & repair, food plotting, and new tree stand sites are all on the To-Do list.  Can't wait!