saw dust

2012_taco

This might sound strange but, I am accumulating lots of saw dust from my woodworking lately and i hate to just throw it out. Does anyone know someone who could use it for their animals? I remember a pig farmer used to stop at the nearby wood shop and pick up all the saw dust for bedding. Unfortunately the wood shop is no longer there. (Rip Dave) PM me, thanks 

I use mine for animals out of the shop when its clean (no MDF,melamine, etc) for bedding my critters when I have some.

Walnut is bad for hooves on cattle/horses and such, so you don't want to mix that in (I would also avoid things like the more exotic tropical woods that contain mystery oils).

Yes you can soak up old stain. I get nervous about spontaneous combustion on things like that, so set the can somewhere away from buildings.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Just sayin.

LOL.....good stuff.

I worked in a shop where there was a dust explosion in the collection system, lucky on a day I wasn't there. Thankfully  outside in the blower unit, shattered windows in the area and made a pile of scrap metal of the equipment.

You could run an ad on Craigslist in the 'pets' section. I'm sure you'd get takers. The drawback is that you might end up dealing with some strange people. :sorry:

It can also be used as mulch for weed control or tilled into gardens, but it has to be mixed with a lot of high-nitrogen fertilizer for that.

• Like 1

Do you have wild turkeys? put out a pile  near a field...you should see a dusting bowl in no time.

Sawdust Fire Starters

Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill each with sawdust. If your husband doesn’t do woodwork, anyone who does would be thrilled to give you as much sawdust as you want. Melt old candles in a double boiler or in a candle warmer. A small amount of candle fragrance would give off a nice aroma. Carefully pour melted wax into each cupcake liner, by pouring into a measuring cup first.

Allow to dry thoroughly and remove from muffin tins. Package into cellophane bags to give as gifts, with instructions attached – “Fire Starters – Toss one or two fire starters into fireplace with logs to help ignite a good fire.” Add the name of the fragrance used – “Cinnamon Fire Starters.”

PS.... great little gifts...if you have kids in any girl/boy scout..4H or in need of fund raising ideas...good thing for kids to make as x-mas gifts that come straight from them not just Mom and Dad funded...lots of ideas...soaked in scented oils and hung in cloth bags in closets...car mirror...under kitchen counter,bathrooms...

Edited by growalot

26 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Looks like a real smart idea with a propane tank laying next to it.

Its not full of propane, its the compressed air source with a full port valve to propel the dust so it ignites. 

Put a flare like that into regular shop waste with no air and it just sits there smoldering.