Elk hunt

Woodjr55

Still up in the air. I don't think I want to do guided but I may consider a drop off hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start to google "Semi Guided" or "DYI".

Also check forums at Monster Muleys and Bowsite. Tons of info from people who actually hunt western states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Don't be afraid to contact some hunting consultants/booking agents.

These folks get paid by the outfitters to drum up business for them, and usually it costs no more to book a hunt through them than to book it on your own.  Tell them what kind of hunt you are interested in and how much you can afford to spend.  They are also very helpful in getting your tags, maps, etc.

I have used Butch Mannasse Outdoor Adventures several times with good results, but  a search will find you several others. It doesn't cost a dime to talk to them and see what they have to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've hunted western states quite a few times.

For Colorado, there is first, second and third season.  First season will require points.  Second and third season you can typically buy a tag OTC.  The upside of later seasons is less people.  The downside is, at the elevation the animals will be at, anything after October 1st, you can be dealing with considerable snow and cold......not idea for bow-hunting (or getting around in general).

I've hunted the early muzzleloader season (last week of September and first few days of October) many times and I have had it in the mid 70's and also been snowed off the mountain with close to 0 degrees outside.  You never know.  Third season, which I think falls in November, you are asking for really, really bad weather.

Also, the peak of the rut for Elk is early (September) unlike deer.  This will also play against you on the later season hunts.