Jury Duty!!!

Lawdwaz

I've been summoned to be a juror in the US District Court/Western District; filled out the questionnaire right away and mailed it in. 

I'm supposed to call today after 5:30pm, to report (if instructed to) at 7:45am tomorrow.  The recording says that my information hasn't been filed yet and if I haven't sent in my questionnaire, then I should do so.  Then it says that I should call back on date and time shown on the paper work. 

Sooooo, am I supposed to go there or not?  Fortunately I'm off tomorrow so it's not a huge deal but WTF are you supposed to do if you had to work and just maybe had to be to work by 6am, 7am etc?  I'll call again later tonight then call in the morning I guess......

JFC why do these assholes need to complicate this stuff?

You should have received a juror number.  When you call, the recording should say "juror numbers x-xx must report for jury duty on Feb 21."   If you aren't in the first group, you have to check every night.  Call in tomorrow and find a live body - commissioner of jurors or similar title - and ask.  

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

You should have received a juror number.  When you call, the recording should say "juror numbers x-xx must report for jury duty on Feb 21."   If you aren't in the first group, you have to check every night.  Call in tomorrow and find a live body - commissioner of jurors or similar title - and ask.  

Got a juror number and keyed it in, it told me what I said in the OP. 

I'm sure its just a simple misunderstanding on my part.......... :)

Jury duty sucks!! make sure you save the receipt you get saying you satisfied your duty, as it is good for 7 years. Although you can get called for county service or another level of court. They say jury duty is randomly picked from voters registration but i seem to get called every 7 years almost to date!

The last time for me was a few years ago...I was there nearly all day and had to sit through the vetting of every single juror. The only one left in the gallery ...The judge would stop every once in a while to say how lonely I looked sitting out there. Oh such fun, it was interesting watching body language and how the individual jurors answered questions...a few had some baggage and didn't ask to answer privately,to my surprise.

• Like 1

I called at 7:45am as instructed and got the same message.  I'll call their "manned" phone after 9am and see what's up......

They give you two options when doing the questionnaire; mail in or via their web site.  I used the mail in form the day I got it.  It said it had to be in within 10 days. If they didn't get it within 10 days, why wouldn't their system red flag it and send out another???

Heck if I know...... 

I was picked to sit on two jury's. The last time was nine months ago, here in Albany county. Both times, I thought there was no way they would pick me to sit on the jury, because I was 100% truthful answering the lawyers questions. And I didn't think my answers, to their questions would be conducive for either side. The first trial lasted a week. the second lasted almost three weeks! I am the only one, that does what I do at work. Needless to say, I came back to a huge mess, especially after the three week trial. And thankfully, my employer paid for my time away. But what a huge PITA it is going down there! Had I known they would last that long, perhaps I wouldn't have been as truthful in my opinions, and just said what I knew would get me excused. Like the majority of the other prospective jurors seemed to do. 

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I called at 7:45am as instructed and got the same message.  I'll call their "manned" phone after 9am and see what's up......

They give you two options when doing the questionnaire; mail in or via their web site.  I used the mail in form the day I got it.  It said it had to be in within 10 days. If they didn't get it within 10 days, why wouldn't their system red flag it and send out another???

Heck if I know...... 

Now I know.......I called at 9:15am and left a message.  A very pleasant gal named Diane (name changed to protect the innocent) called back a couple minutes later.  She said that I didn't send back the questionnaire, I said nicely "yes I did".  Then she said "oops, I just found it".  :)

Some how it wasn't marked as "received" when it came in via USPS.  She apologized and said that she would change the automated call in system for my juror number and that I should in fact call back so the system knows I checked in.  I can still be called for three MORE trials in the next 89 days (it was 90 days but one down, 89 to go) but she said I'd get a letter with at least 10 days notice to call in again and I probably won't hear a thing from them for at least the next 6 weeks as they have nothing scheduled.

She was way to nice for me to give her any trouble about the angst and consternation I suffered because of the confusion.  :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Larry said:

I have been on 5 jury’s 3 murder trials and 2 arm robberies. Convicted all 3 murderers and 1 of the robberies the other was not guilty that poor bastard spent over a year in jail because couldn’t make a 2500 dollar bail.

Geeze, Larry, you could be consider a professional JURIST !!...<<grin>>...

I have served on trial jury duty twice but have never been picked to sit on a jury..

I served one stint on grand jury...We voted to indict two guys in a high profile murder case( very interesting), but most of our cases were DWIs and child molesters...The child molester stuff SUCKS...I was not aware there were so many of the slimey bastards out there...

did a month on a Grand jury, loved it . Been called for jury duty but not picked . My occupation was always exempt from jury duty till a few years ago . Grand jury was prior too my current job .

Honestly I think my answers ,since they were mostly opposite the others is what did me in .They don't like free thinkers in the box.

11 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

did a month on a Grand jury, loved it . Been called for jury duty but not picked . My occupation was always exempt from jury duty till a few years ago . Grand jury was prior too my current job .

Honestly I think my answers ,since they were mostly opposite the others is what did me in .They don't like free thinkers in the box.

You loved grand jury?  You are a sick puppy Larry and where is that key hide box?  I need $20.

• Like 1

It beat loading safes into tractor trailers all day ! Work paid me and the day was shorter as well .Plus there was women !!

i did excuse myself from one case , as the defendant was a friend ....

One box is under a Civic somewhere in Buffalo, the one here I'm sure has no $20 in it.

Edited by Larry302

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Just let the lawyers know that you will make a great juror because you can spot the bad guy a mile away.  You will never be selected for any jury, criminal or civil.  lol

Why not just say " let's give that SOB a fair trial and then hang his butt " !  Then again , that might give you contempt of court . 

The first time ,they asked me if I would have a problem awarding Ms. So and So a large sum of money if they could prove fault in some big traffic accident ,my response was " I'm not sure ,let's give it a try". Shortly after,they told me to have a nice day,thanks for coming in.

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Hehehehe....An answer from one of my CO-jurors to a question from an attorney..

" If they weren't guilty, they wouldn't BE here ! "

He did not get selected to sit on the jury....hehehe....

The one jury I sat on that was the attitude of at least 2/3 of them. God help you if you're innocent and end up on trial. They werent able to prove the case (the prosecutor was literally an idiot, it was embarrassing) but the jurors were still saying "well something went on here, I still say guilty". It was an eye opener

When I sat on the grand jury, we no billed two cases that really pissed off the ADA . To bad, in one case they were really over charging , and basically lying .

A cop,placed his hand on a guys neck / trap area , from behind , the guy kinda shrugged his shoulder and he spun around, and that broke a bone in the cops hand. He was not trying to arrest the guy at that time . 

The cop was showing how the guy spun, the ADA said he needs to,put it into words as they can't record a " movement ". The cop did not know how to say what happened , so the ADA said " so at that point he swung at  you" 

I stopped the proceedings and said , " he's showing the guy turned away ( spun) and you're saying " he swung at you " like he punched the cop  that's not correct .

So they changed it , and  later we dismissed all the charges . Had it gone forward and without my challenging what they were trying to do , the record would have  showed he swung at the cop .

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Recently in the juror selection process we where waiting and the lady walks in and says for those of you wearing hats you will have to remove them in the court room? I'm thinking no sh-t so i politely asked if i was wearing a turbin and i was a rag head would i have to take it off, well after a short commotion and without elaborating I was dismissed ;-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk