Running coyotes with dogs next week

Looks like the local guys will be running coyotes next week. Got a call for permission to enter my property if needed. I was fine with it and wished them luck. 

My neighbor been hearing a lot lately so hopefully they will connect. Being a landowner there is nothing like getting a phone call asking permission to hunt rather then learning hunters were all over your property when you were not there.

• Like 7

Funny you mentioned this topic. By me the locals feel they dont need to ask permission,  they just release the hounds. Just this past weekend i was up at camp prunning some apple trees that are set about 30 yards from the road and i hear  hounds across the road on my neighbors property (mind you none of my neighbors gave these guys permisson) and then comes the locals in thier pickups cruising the roads. A  coyote came running off my nieghbors property and crosses into my property not 10 yards from me hauling ass, then came the hounds 10 minutes behind him. The encounter was pretty neat, im just pissed that these guys feel they dont need to ask permission.

• Like 1

Hounds running where they aren't wanted has caused a lot of ill will in my area. An ECO told me it is a major source of complaints. I have a neighbor who confronted one of the local coyote hunters when he caught him releasing his hounds on a fresh track right next to a posted sign. The hunter actually got belligerent. He and his crew seem to have an attitude that dogs don't/can't trespass, only people can.

No excuse for deliberately releasing dogs on property without getting permission that being said one has to remember and understand Coyotes and Dogs can not read posted signs.  More often than not these chases can end up going many miles from where they start crossing many many property lines. I know if a chase does happen to go through my property bottom line the Coyotes and Dogs are just briefly streaking through causing little if any real problems. Actually I like listening to the Hounds and as long as gun safety is observed it does not bother me.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

They recently put up signs at Golden Hill State Park in Niagara County stating "No coyote or fox hunting" Small game hunting is allowed in the park, and a lot of non hunters also use the park for dog walking and joggong etc. I have seen guys going in there with their hounds an letting them go after the fox and coyote, and I think they caused problems with people just walking thru park, which is not very large area and there are safety zones marked also. I'm not positive as to why they stopped the coyote  and fox hunting, but a pheasant hunter told me last fall that is reason they might do it.

5 hours ago, airedale said:

No excuse for deliberately releasing dogs on property without getting permission that being said one has to remember and understand Coyotes and Dogs can not read posted signs.  More often than not these chases can end up going many miles from where they start crossing many many property lines. I know if a chase does happen to go through my property bottom line the Coyotes and Dogs are just briefly streaking through causing little if any real problems. Actually I like listening to the Hounds and as long as gun safety is observed it does not bother me.

Al

Thats the obvious, i think we are all capable of knowing that a dog will run anywhere without boundaries. Im not blaming the dog, i love the sound of hounds. Its the irresponsible owners. Ive had a couple of choice words with some of theses guys. Nothing ticks me off more then seeing these guys walking on the street with shotguns and his buddies driving the roads, while i'm trying to walk my property with my young kids. Trying to teach them ethical hunting  and them having to witness these idiots. Lets just say that the whole neighborhood must of heard me. Guy had the nerve to ask me who i was and was nasty, lets just say that was the last time he got loud and his buddy encouraged him to stay in his car. I know where he lives and the DEC has his info. To be honest i would probably give them permission if they asked and i knew when they were running the hounds. The guys this weekend was a different crew than the guys from last year, atleast these guys werent walking the roads. They were smart enough to stay in thier pickups and keep driving. I even got a wave...lol

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Hounds running where they aren't wanted has caused a lot of ill will in my area. An ECO told me it is a major source of complaints. I have a neighbor who confronted one of the local coyote hunters when he caught him releasing his hounds on a fresh track right next to a posted sign. The hunter actually got belligerent. He and his crew seem to have an attitude that dogs don't/can't trespass, only people can.

If im not mistaken your in Otsego county. Im on the Otsego/Deleware county border. Its very possible we might be encountering the same group of idiots. The DEC officer did tell me that the dogs cant tresspass that much i do know, however the key is that these guys can only release hounds on property they have permission to hunt on. But that does not give the hunters the right to tresspass or to retrive thier dogs where they dont have permission. Problem is these guys do not have permission from me or my neighbors. If by law they cant shoot from the road and once they step off the road they are tresspassing, then why the hell are they walking the roads with shotguns. Thats my gripe, i dont need these local idiots shooting into my property while im trying to hunt or doing whatever with my family.  

It is a no win situation for everyone. When a coyote hound is turned loose no one knows where the coyote will take them. It is almost impossible for a hunter to get permission from every landowner the dog may cross. I hunted with a crew once that had dogs run a coyote 12 miles straight line one day. After hitting a state park where hunting was not allowed the coyote made a loop and headed back where he came from.

The hunter has no idea if the coyote will cross back into a block he has permission to hunt so a number of times they are driving the roads trying to cut the dogs off from the chase based on what the tracking system tells them. Most of them do not want to piss off the landowners and are just attempting to catch the dog(s). I have seen it where they stopped to get permission to go catch the dog only to find out the person they asked isn't the landowner. The landowner lives a mile down the road or whatever. By the time that all transpires the coyote and dog could be another 2-3 miles away.

There are those that are inconsiderate and just go where they need to in the interest of catching the dog or shooting the coyote. Unlike a number of species a coyote will not hole or climb a tree. They run until they outwit the hounds or decide to take a stand & fight. That could be a mile or ten miles.

No one has had a solution to this yet and I suspect they never will. It is far to complicated for each side to understand the other and until there is more cooperation between the hunters and the public it will continue.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Goodluck------------  very hard to kill a coyote with hounds.  At least in my experience.  We use to do very well with fox as they would usually cross in same area and once we figured it out we would usually get them every time.  Coyotes would run a much much bigger circle and cross main rds and everything.  Was very dangerous for our dog........ 

On 2/21/2017 at 8:16 AM, Curmudgeon said:

On 2/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I fight with our locals every year. I have caught their dogs a bunch of times and they are pissed when I call them and tell them to come get them. I have hundreds of trail cam pic of the hounds chasing deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm amazed by how much negativity there are in some of these posts, despite the fact the original post started off with a relatively positive note.  I think some people like to vilify houndsmen, but the way I see it, there are good and bad individuals in pretty much every form of hunting.  I think some people have had a few bad experiences with houndsmen and those experiences have informed their opinion on hound hunting in general.

OP, I've met up with a group of houndsmen that regularly hunts the Finger Lakes area; I'm not sure if this is the same group as the one that you interacted with.  But I do know that this group only hunted areas that were either open to public hunting or areas where they had permission.  And they were very diligent about recalling their dogs if they're were heading for private land or areas that were otherwise off limits.  I was actually quite impressed with the coordination they had with one another, not only when it came to posting up hunters along the coyote's likely route, but also when it came to managing and keeping tabs on the dogs.  The few times I've been out with them, I've never seen a dog stray into off limits areas.  Now, I'm sure that happens from time to time, regardless of how careful you are.  But that is a similar concern for bowhunters or gun hunters with a wounded animal running off into private land.  You do the best you can to mitigate that risk, but if it happens, you contact the landowner and get permission to retrieve.  I certainly never saw any houndsmen purposely release their dogs into posted property (where they lacked permission).  Maybe there are unethical houndsmen out there who do that sort of thing, but I don't think they represent the overall houndsmen community.  I'd recommend anyone who has the slightest amount of interest to go to  KC Hounds or another hound hunting website and go link up with some of these guys and gals.  The ones I've met so far are good people and have been very welcoming of those who are new to this type of hunting.

On 2/21/2017 at 4:27 PM, skully said:

Goodluck------------  very hard to kill a coyote with hounds.  At least in my experience.  We use to do very well with fox as they would usually cross in same area and once we figured it out we would usually get them every time.  Coyotes would run a much much bigger circle and cross main rds and everything.  Was very dangerous for our dog........ 

What was so dangerous about it?  You referring to the road crossings?  I agree coyote hunting with hounds takes a lot of work and coordination, but I think as long as you know the local terrain and have hunters positioned appropriately, you have a decent chance of getting one.  The last few times I've been out, we've come away with 1-2 on each outing....granted, the group I was with knew the area very well and seemed to have a good idea of where the coyotes liked to go.  This group also had at least one person with a GPS tracker in the truck so that if the dogs were heading for a main road or into another block of woods, they could intercept them.

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Padre86 said:

I'm amazed by how much negativity there are in some of these posts, despite the fact the original post started off with a relatively positive note.  I think some people like to vilify houndsmen, but the way I see it, there are good and bad individuals in pretty much every form of hunting.  I think some people have had a few bad experiences with houndsmen and those experiences have informed their opinion on hound hunting in general.

OP, I've met up with a group of houndsmen that regularly hunts the Finger Lakes area; I'm not sure if this is the same group as the one that you interacted with.  But I do know that this group only hunted areas that were either open to public hunting or areas where they had permission.  And they were very diligent about recalling their dogs if they're were heading for private land or areas that were otherwise off limits.  I was actually quite impressed with the coordination they had with one another, not only when it came to posting up hunters along the coyote's likely route, but also when it came to managing and keeping tabs on the dogs.  The few times I've been out with them, I've never seen a dog stray into off limits areas.  Now, I'm sure that happens from time to time, regardless of how careful you are.  But that is a similar concern for bowhunters or gun hunters with a wounded animal running off into private land.  You do the best you can to mitigate that risk, but if it happens, you contact the landowner and get permission to retrieve.  I certainly never saw any houndsmen purposely release their dogs into posted property (where they lacked permission).  Maybe there are unethical houndsmen out there who do that sort of thing, but I don't think they represent the overall houndsmen community.  I'd recommend anyone who has the slightest amount of interest to go to  KC Hounds or another hound hunting website and go link up with some of these guys and gals.  The ones I've met so far are good people and have been very welcoming of those who are new to this type of hunting.

What was so dangerous about it?  You referring to the road crossings?  I agree coyote hunting with hounds takes a lot of work and coordination, but I think as long as you know the local terrain and have hunters positioned appropriately, you have a decent chance of getting one.  The last few times I've been out, we've come away with 1-2 on each outing....granted, the group I was with knew the area very well and seemed to have a good idea of where the coyotes liked to go.  This group also had at least one person with a GPS tracker in the truck so that if the dogs were heading for a main road or into another block of woods, they could intercept them.

Yea the road crossings were very dangerous in a few areas we use to hunt.  Yea it sounds like you have good system.  It was only my father and I and it was difficult with just the 2 of us.

First Light, Im not sure exactly where you are located, but i know your not too far from me. The coyotes are thick in our parts. A couple of my buddies have been around killing coyotes all winter, having luck every night or 2 and ive been seeing guys run the dogs too. Some guys ran them on my neighbors last year and never asked anyone else besides us for permission, they just went in after them. I wouldnt really care as long as they just carried on with their business and didnt tinker around. But It is nice to be in contact with them. After they ran our hill they told us where they found dens and such which helped with our success calling them in...  

I found a guy trespassing on my neighbors a couple weeks ago, driving a white Toyota Tundra with dog cages in the back. I know he didn't have permission. As Soon as he saw me he pegged it and got out of Dodge.. Im not one to be a rat, but i keep an eye on our properties since most owners are not locals. Not everyone's property is open to the public..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

First Light, Im not sure exactly where you are located, but i know your not too far from me. The coyotes are thick in our parts. A couple of my buddies have been around killing coyotes all winter, having luck every night or 2 and ive been seeing guys run the dogs too. Some guys ran them on my neighbors last year and never asked anyone else besides us for permission, they just went in after them. I wouldnt really care as long as they just carried on with their business and didnt tinker around. But It is nice to be in contact with them. After they ran our hill they told us where they found dens and such which helped with our success calling them in...  

I found a guy trespassing on my neighbors a couple weeks ago, driving a white Toyota Tundra with dog cages in the back. I know he didn't have permission. As Soon as he saw me he pegged it and got out of Dodge.. Im not one to be a rat, but i keep an eye on our properties since most owners are not locals. Not everyone's property is open to the public..

I'm over in Howard, they are local guys.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 9:41 AM, the blur said:

If it were my land, I'd set up foot hold traps all over.    Take the trapping class, learn about it, and set up a few.

What would be the purpose of that? Are you trying to catch a coyote or are you trying to trap a hunting dog.

2 hours ago, vizslas said:

What would be the purpose of that? Are you trying to catch a coyote or are you trying to trap a hunting dog.

My neighbor did that this hunting season they just wouldn't come into the trap. tracks all around but stayed clear of the traps.

Lots of big farm lands there...family members have a big dairy farm there . Their son in laws family has one as well. I can see where that would be a good place to run hounds. They run them out near Atlanta as well ..several big farms all together.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1