hunting accident

Well look, there really is two parts to the safe shot rule:

1.    Identify the target (not "pretty-much", but absolutely without question)

2.    Be sure what or who is in the line of fire behind the target. (pretty much impossible at night or with a flashlight)

How on earth can you satisfy both of those requirements in the dark, or in a flashlight beam? How can you know for sure what is just outside the beam, moving into the line of fire? This is one target ID problem that blaze orange has no hope of solving.

The dangers of night hunting are obvious, and I think unavoidable. So what can be done about it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doc said:

The dangers of night hunting are obvious, and I think unavoidable. So what can be done about it?

Really no reason to do anything about it. Hundreds if not thousands of hunters are out calling through the season at night without incident. This incident is a hunting "accident" that occurred due to hunter negligence. Similar accidents like this occurred this deer season and one woman died as a result. If you can't identify the target , or know what is beyond you do not shoot...plain & simple. The shooters own words:

The shooter, Brett Blackburn, told deputies he thought he saw the eyes of a coyote while hunting with his 14-year-old son. He said when he shot his rifle, he heard screams.

You don't shoot at eyes at night any more than you shoot at movement during the day.  Fox season is closed  so he didn't even attempt to identify what he was shooting at. The guy messed up and that is all there is to it. Problem is he messed up someone else's life in the process. In addition to the legal system punishment I hope he is held responsible for medical bills and restitution to the family.

We hunt the adks and do primarily drives and never once has a person looked like an animal I've lost opportunities at big bucks because I wasn't positive on a rack or not, I think you could dress up like a deer and walk past me and I'd be able to tell its just common sense and its not that common anymore.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 1