Texas approves poison for feral pigs

uberyan

http://mashable.com/2017/02/22/texas-feral-hog-apocalypse-pesticide/#klbqzrUVWkqJ

I don't quite understand the claim that it will only be harmful to pigs and not humans or other wildlife.

Wild hogs are larger than a lot of other animals so it can't be based on body mass. So unless they've managed to make the poison only work on pigs from a genetic level I'm calling BS.

15 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I won't say I like it, but some of the country is pretty rough and thorn covered, too tough to run dogs even. I can see how it would be the last option in some areas, but don't like the idea of ANY poison being let go into the food chain.

I understand they're a big problem over there. If I was a landowner at my wit's end I'd probably be scrambling for solutions as well (I'd probably try the helo hunting method first or invite all y'all to come by and have at em for gratis). But a broad spectrum poison just doesn't seem like the correct answer on any level.

Warfarin isn't like some fast acting neurotoxin either. It's an anti-coagulant and blood thinner. It kills the pig by causing internal bleeding over an extended period of time. Could take days or even weeks. I'm no tree hugging PETA nut, but that doesn't seem like a very human way of killing. 

BTW, Australia had implemented this same thing for their swine problem a few years back and then terminated the program and recommended against it.

I don't know how I feel about this, but as the hunter population continues to slide, we will be experiencing more and more situations where hunting cannot cope with the growing populations. And when that happens, we begin to see the ecological and wildlife hazards that some species can cause when they become more plentiful than we can control. We have not experienced the problem here in NYS ....... yet, but those who have in parts of the country where these things are flourishing, describe a huge problem with very no other solutions. I know poison can have plenty of unintended consequences, but some of the documentaries that I have seen show another kind of catastrophe that is just as ugly as the consequences of poison. Frankly, I don't know enough about the poison they are recommending to make any comments, but the selection of the right poison probably is where the choices have to be done correctly.

Edited by Doc

Is it possible that the land owners with the feral swine problem are more worried about the risks and liabilities of letting in hunters to take care of the problem, than they are of the unsure ramifications of the poison?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, TACC said:

Is it possible that the land owners with the feral swine problem are more worried about the risks and liabilities of letting in hunters to take care of the problem, than they are of the unsure ramifications of the poison?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Dont quote me on this but i think their hog problem goes beyond hunters.  I dont think hunting alone can take care of this problem.