Rough day to be a squirrel

gjp2nd

Falconers consider grey squirrels dangerous to their birds. They can turn and bite the hawks legs. This bird seems to have things quite under control.

Could you send that bird down here. I had five of the rodents at my bird feeder yesterday, and that doesn't count the red ones.

Nice shot! I remember years ago, probably in my teens, I was walking down a similar trail while hunting and had a hawk go zipping into some pines off the side of the trail. After some sounds of a brief struggle the hawk emerged with a grey squirrel just like in this photo. 

Here's a similar shot from one of my homebrew game cams of a barred owl taking a frog from the surface of a small pond in the early spring.

DSC01278_zpsinzrxb2y.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 8:07 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Falconers consider grey squirrels dangerous to their birds. They can turn and bite the hawks legs. This bird seems to have things quite under control.

Could you send that bird down here. I had five of the rodents at my bird feeder yesterday, and that doesn't count the red ones.

I once tried to "bark" a squirrel on the side of a hickory trunk with my .36 flintlock. I knocked the squirrel down but when I got to it, it had revived & was getting to its feet. Knowing better than to grab the critter with my bare hands, I used the crescent steel buttplate to pin it to the ground. The little bastard turned & started gnawing on the buttplate making a sound that sent chills up my spine.

And yeah, awesome picture.

Edited by wildcat junkie

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Those red tails don't seem to have much of a problem with them..I have never actually seen a redtail strike a squirrel, but I have seen them carrying grey squirrels  on 3 different occasions ( one just last spring)...In all three cases the squirrel appeared either dead or paralyzed.

All three were quite a distance from the nearest road, so I assumed the hawks had actually caught the squirrel rather than picking it up dead from a road.

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Those red tails don't seem to have much of a problem with them..I have never actually seen a redtail strike a squirrel, but I have seen them carrying grey squirrels  on 3 different occasions ( one just last spring)...In all three cases the squirrel appeared either dead or paralyzed.

All three were quite a distance from the nearest road, so I assumed the hawks had actually caught the squirrel rather than picking it up dead from a road.

Those hawks have good hunting skills. A hawk that failed to quickly kill or control the squirrel would likely end up removed from the gene pool. 

Edited by Curmudgeon
Auto correct
  • Like 1