Ozone Clothes Deodorizer

The wife purchased a small battery operated refrigerator Ozone deodorizer to replace the Arm & Hammer box of baking soda. it was not expensive at around 25.00. Anyhow I remember last fall it was mentioned that there were dedicated gear bags that used ozone generators to deodorize hunting clothes and hunting gear. I believe for those who may be looking into that sort of thing a reasonably priced setup could be made with one of these refrigerator models and a cheap Walmart large plastic tote with a good fitting cover. There are all kinds of those refrigerator ozone deodorizers for sale on Amazon and none are very expensive.

Al

2017-02-25_150049.png

Edited by airedale

If anyone is interested, what I do is I have a dedicated regular closet in the basement for all of my hunting clothes, and I put this ozone generator inside of it and run it for 30-45 minutes the night before I go hunting. I bought some slit pipe insulation to put on the sides of the bypass doors to help make the closet airtight. It's by no means completely airtight, but the unit cranks out so much ozone I really don't think it matters. Only issue is that the ozone is bad for people and pets to breathe. So sometimes if I let it run too long, my wife can smell it upstairs and complains.

One oddball concern i have is that I have some silver-based anti-bacterial scent proof clothing, and I worry that the ozone will cause the silver to oxidize and lose effectiveness. I try to keep those clothes out of the closet or in a plastic bag or bin. I try.

• 2 months later...

I have a room in my basement that is close to air tight where I change and hang my hunting stuff.  After Grizz suggested this (even though it concerned me at first since I know ozone can be harmful)  and after further research, it seemed that 1/2 life was very short and it tends to be heavier than air so it wouldn't leave the room.  So I bought a generator and turned it on for an hour after every hunt to deodorize my hunting clothes that were left hanging in that room.  I had a great season.  No idea if it had anything to do with the ozone generator, but my clothes did not seem to hold odors, even after gutting deer etc.  plus it cut down on washes in season.

I should note that I try to always play the wind since I figure I smell like a skunk to deer no matter how clean my clothes are.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

carbon "odor absorption" based clothes go into plastic totes. anything that's not that gets put into a cedar trunk with simple desiccant dehumidifier canister.  no doubts ozone creates an environment that destroys and prevents bacteria.  haven't done anything with ozone though.

But with carbon, it can only hold so much before the suit is rendered useless... That's why ScentLok had to pay all that money out.. Factor in how much scent has already been absorbed before you even get to put it on the first time.. to me, not worth the $$$... 

110v generators such as this inside of a room or closet (I use an eBay portable linen closet ) do a great interim washing. Ozone said does great for ground blond use but the battery units do not have the output or longevity for open air use and still leave your tracks in as is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grizz1219 said:

But with carbon, it can only hold so much before the suit is rendered useless... That's why ScentLok had to pay all that money out.. Factor in how much scent has already been absorbed before you even get to put it on the first time.. to me, not worth the $$$... 

before i use it each time i throw it in the dryer to "recharge" it.  i also practice pretty good scent control, so it's not like i'm throwing it on to hide stink.  i like the stuff i've got for function more than anything.  still can't afford to be careless with wind, but it seems to buy me a little time.  regardless if i wear carbon, treated stuff, or use ozone it wouldn't change the way i hunt and precautions i'd take.

Trust me.. I used the carbon stuff in the past.... but logic dictates carbon doesn't release scent molecules till it reaches a temp above what fabric can take, it's not worth spending the $$$ on it IMHO.. Ozone can be replenished into the clothing... Along with smart scent elimination and hunting with the dominant wind like you described is my approach and as I wrote, best season ever... so I'll continue with that...