I'm making the switch

Buckmaster7600

My commitment to killing a buck this year with my longbow has sparked a new interest. I know have a Flintlock on the way. If I can get it shooting acceptably I will use it for the entire season "excluding crappy weather."

I am having so much fun with the longbow and can't wait to stick a wood chicken with it in a couple months that I think the Flintlock will add to the fun of the regular season and muzzleloader season.

Anyone on here have any advice on where to start with the flintlock? It's a 50cal left hand Lyman deerstalker, the carbine of flintlocks.

a7025dcb21c4c30736b9e911b3489e26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I haven't killed (or used for that matter) my flintlock in many years.  I also hunted PA late season with the flinter for a number of years, probably 1985-1995??  Killed a few doe there and at least one here in NYS with it.

You need a possibles bag for all the extra stuff you'll need to bring along.  Lets see.......touch hole cleaner, bullet puller, powder viles, extra bullets and patches, little screw driver, pan powder and?????

OK, I'll go see what's in my purse.  Hang on.........

18 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Now that's a man purse! I have a muzzleloader pouch I carry now that I should be able to fit everything in.

How accurate was yours? Max range 50yds or so?

It's been so long I don't really recall what the accuracy was but 50 to 75 shouldn't be an issue.  One thing though, my eyes have changed a TON in the last 10 years and open sights could be a bugger.  I do know I killed a doe at approx. 70 yards one time, head on shot.  She dropped like a ton O bricks........

It's a very long story on how I got started in flintlock hunting and the story involves a very close friend (Wally) who is now deceased.  Fond, fond memories of good times.

I was just talking to another good friend a couple weeks ago about giving the flintlock another go.  One thing my old buddy Wally always wanted to do was kill a buck with the flintlock and he never did.  In his later years of gun hunting he even took it on opening day of gun season if the weather was good.  Now these were the days when in-lines were just coming around and he had zero interest in them.  I said to my buddy Dave that I'd like to kill a buck with the flintlock to honor Wally's memory.  Who knows, maybe I'll do it this fall??

• Like 3

It's been so long I don't really recall what the accuracy was but 50 to 75 shouldn't be an issue.  One thing though, my eyes have changed a TON in the last 10 years and open sights could be a bugger.  I do know I killed a doe at approx. 70 yards one time, head on shot.  She dropped like a ton O bricks........
It's a very long story on how I got started in flintlock hunting and the story involves a very close friend (Wally) who is now deceased.  Fond, fond memories of good times.
I was just talking to another good friend a couple weeks ago about giving the flintlock another go.  One thing my old buddy Wally always wanted to do was kill a buck with the flintlock and he never did.  In his later years of gun hunting he even took it on opening day of gun season if the weather was good.  Now these were the days when in-lines were just coming around and he had zero interest in them.  I said to my buddy Dave that I'd like to kill a buck with the flintlock to honor Wally's memory.  Who knows, maybe I'll do it this fall??

You should!

I Have killed bucks with almost every legal weapon other than Trad archery "killed a doe with a recurve" and a flintlock I guess it's the last of a long line of tools. I guess the old saying of going full circle is true, the Xbow made me want to shoot Trad and I have hunted and killed deer with every firearm from rifles to pistols and the fastest wizbang magnums to pistol cartridge carbines. I am someone that always looks for a challenge and I guess this is just the next progression.

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You should!

I Have killed bucks with almost every legal weapon other than Trad archery "killed a doe with a recurve" and a flintlock I guess it's the last of a long line of tools. I guess the old saying of going full circle is true, the Xbow made me want to shoot Trad and I have hunted and killed deer with every firearm from rifles to pistols and the fastest wizbang magnums to pistol cartridge carbines. I am someone that always looks for a challenge and I guess this is just the next progression.

The only legal weapon now in NYS that I haven't killed with is a xbow.  No desire or interest.........

What powder will you use with it?  Bullets?

The only legal weapon now in NYS that I haven't killed with is a xbow.  No desire or interest.........
What powder will you use with it?  Bullets?

I'll shoot black powder 3 or 4f depending on what it likes, I hope to be able to use 1 powder for pan and main charge.

Bullets I'm hoping to cast my own conicals if it will shoot them if not I'll just use round balls.

I have a Lyman Deerstalker percussion, it loves 90grn of black powder and 385 grn Hornady Great Plains Bullets. If you have time try to check out the Saratoga Muzzleloader club, lots of old guys that have put in time there that can help you with any flint lock questions you might have.

100 yard gun all day long

• Like 1

I'll shoot black powder 3 or 4f depending on what it likes, I hope to be able to use 1 powder for pan and main charge.

Bullets I'm hoping to cast my own conicals if it will shoot them if not I'll just use round balls.

Might want to be careful with 4f as a main charge. With the smaller granules, the same volume is actually a different charge than 2f or 3f and they don't burn nearly the samr. At least that's the way I remember reading it from a book by Sam fadala. I'll double check when I get home from work this evening though.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Mr buckmaster I have a couple flintlocks I'd love to dust off as well as a couple flintlock kit pistols I'd love to see fire just Dont know were to begin we gotta get together one of these days maybe u could check that 35 marlin out for me as well

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

1 in 48 is a compromise twist, supposedly to handle both patched roundballs and conicals . The groove depth shallow or deep matters to. I'm betting it will shoot conicals better then prb!!!

don't rule out sabots unless your wanting to keep it traditional.

Steve 

My 1 in 48 TC Hawken shoots both conicals and round balls quite well...Certainly good enough for hunting accuracy at open sight ranges..

If it were my rifle I would try a proven conical like the Lyman Great Plains bullet first, just for simplicity...Just lube it,, load it and shoot it..After that I'd try the PRB...

Don't bother with those silly expensive semi-sabots like powerbelts.. The PRB or a simple conical will do everything you need, and at ML velocities, lead projectiles expand and work just fine.

• Like 1