SB 4739 - Establishes the yearling buck protection program

Rebel Darling

Here's an FYI:

New York State Senator Thomas O'Mara, chair of the EnCon committee, today introduced SB 4739 - Establishes the yearling buck protection program.  Deputy Majority Leader DeFrancisco is a co-sponsor.

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/S4739

Don't harass the messenger...  Ha.

Cheers...

• Like 1

We all are individuals, and we all hunt for different reasons and have different goals. So if someone wants to let five yearling bucks pass, to perhaps shoot a mature eight or ten point buck, last day of the season. That should be their choice. If someone else, wants to go out on opening morning and shoot the first legal buck that comes along. That should be their choice. I buy the tag. I don't need someone to tell me what to shoot.

• Like 21

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

We all are individuals, and we all hunt for different reasons and have different goals. So if someone wants to let five yearling bucks pass, to perhaps shoot a mature eight or ten point buck, last day of the season. That should be their choice. If someone else, wants to go out on opening morning and shoot the first legal buck that comes along. That should be their choice. I buy the tag. I don't need someone to tell me what to shoot.

But by your own definition you are already allowing someone to tell you what you can or can not shoot.  This is altering what the definition of a "legal" buck is.

8N is one of the overpopulated areas and they want 4 on at least one side...Sure that makes tons of sense NOT....Well wonder if the big mature 6pt made it and if he will continue passing on those genes...I know we have had a few like him around...4 to one side...I could pull up a bunch of little buck that have 4 pt. one side....

At least they are consistently inconsistent.

AR is almost always associated with heavy/appropriate doe harvest. There's plenty more does than bucks in those overpopulation areas. But we'll leave the science out of making laws, right?

• Like 3

First, is hasn't passed yet. Getting your under garnets of choice in a bunch won't do any good. With that said, it's NY, so it probably will pass. Do I agree with it, NO!

Second, look at this site! Most of the people on here won't shoot anything less then a 6 or 8. So why the uproar? Look at the posts, and how many people have stated "I let a real nice 6 pass today, waiting for the big boy I have on cam.". This plays right into hunters telling other others to let the little guys have a pass and only take mature bucks. So what's the big deal? Why complain about a possible law that will allow the smaller bucks to thrive?

As grampy hit on, it should be a choice.

But, people get ticked off even when things go their way. Go figure. 

Just goes to show the everyone gets a participation trophy is still alive and well in NYS, when you have to help the lazy hunters get trophy's by passing up deer.

If they want to pay the $$ for my hunting license I will be happy not to fill a buck tag until then its my money being spent to pursue a animal of my choice! Not the hunters who think the game needs to be changed so they can win!!!

• Like 1

AR has been beneficial here in Pennsylvania. But we're not NY.

The result over the past ten years regarding buck harvest is: 50% plus of the harvest consist of 2.5 year old or older bucks with less than 50% consisting of 1.5 year old bucks. Before AR, there was a serious overharvest of 1.5 year old bucks at around 80% of the harvest and we killed an estimated 80% or more of all available bucks.

We had a serious lack of age structure in our herd. Herd reduction and AR have combined to create closer buck to doe ratios and better age structure in the herd. Healthier deer.

Trust me it's been a hot button debate since the beginning but its been more about herd reduction than AR. Hunters weren't seeing as many deer so complaints were pretty high. AR is well accepted here but ours is (3) points to one side for most of the state and (4) to a side in the western part of the state where bucks tend to grow larger, more points at earlier age.  

I understand NY is much different in regards to winter loss so I really have no idea what effect it would have on your herd. Just trying to pass along info. from a neighboring state that has AR in place.

• Like 2

First, is hasn't passed yet. Getting your under garnets of choice in a bunch won't do any good. With that said, it's NY, so it probably will pass. Do I agree with it, NO!

Second, look at this site! Most of the people on here won't shoot anything less then a 6 or 8. So why the uproar? Look at the posts, and how many people have stated "I let a real nice 6 pass today, waiting for the big boy I have on cam.". This plays right into hunters telling other others to let the little guys have a pass and only take mature bucks. So what's the big deal? Why complain about a possible law that will allow the smaller bucks to thrive?

As grampy hit on, it should be a choice.

But, people get ticked off even when things go their way. Go figure. 

What are you even saying in all this Mumbo jumbo?

It's laughable. Even worse because this is a poorly written document - most overpopulation zones are out, but not all, they require four to a side in many units, and these units have issues with producing 4 a side one year olds, which defeats AR.

The point is this is why NY is where it is - this bill get air time when it's so bad the author should have the ruler smacked on their knuckles. It'd be nice if we could remove legislators from the science based portion of our hunting or require some sort of agency signoff/assessment before these docs see the light of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Odds are this will just stay where it is like the xbow bill. Nothing ever happens.

No i think this will get interest because its not the brightest thing to do. I like the Ar spots i hunt down yonder but we sure dont need Ar up here i the North. Why is 8M not on the list or did i overlook it?

Now if they would doing something that would work like cutting the season in half of taking guns out of the rut they may get something positive done.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

I'm not all that concerned about this bill personally...we have the herd. I don't think this has anything to do with herd management,its about the shooting "accidents" that happened. Make them stop and count before shooting,I can see that rumbling through their little brains. Two birds with one stone. Clearing  the decks for a better image regardless of the facts.

I love the message to the young hunters...you get to shoot any little buck you wish to until your 17yrs old. Yes you don't have to work to improve the herd it's not that important really. BTW,all you older guys with less time afield left..you can't take what you'd like before your no longer able to hunt,to bad you've put in your time..you no longer count.

13 minutes ago, growalot said:

I'm not all that concerned about this bill personally...we have the herd. I don't think this has anything to do with herd management,its about the shooting "accidents" that happened. Make them stop and count before shooting,I can see that rumbling through their little brains. Two birds with one stone. Clearing  the decks for a better image regardless of the facts.

I love the message to the young hunters...you get to shoot any little buck you wish to until your 17yrs old. Yes you don't have to work to improve the herd it's not that important really. BTW,all you older guys with less time afield left..you can't take what you'd like before your no longer able to hunt,to bad you've put in your time..you no longer count.

Most times the older you get in hunting you opt out for bigger deer and not little deer or killing higher numbers of deer. That all came in the younger years.  Todays world screams for bigger higher scoring deer and most are willing to do..and pay what it takes to get to that point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phade said:

It'd be nice if we could remove legislators from the science based portion of our hunting or require some sort of agency signoff/assessment before these docs see the light of day.

Unfortunately NY made the turn on that a while ago, we are doomed. The sad part is we hunters (well most anyway) sat back and let it happen and even encouraged it. We will now reap what we sow.

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

No i think this will get interest because its not the brightest thing to do. I like the Ar spots i hunt down yonder but we sure dont need Ar up here i the North. Why is 8M not on the list or did i overlook it?

Now if they would doing something that would work like cutting the season in half of taking guns out of the rut they may get something positive done.

I thought they took away AR in the Park?

After taking anything legal in my early days, I personally pass on younger bucks now, and am trying to set the bar a bit higher each year.

However, that's me and I'm not pushing my current style on anyone else. I feel it should be left to the choice of each hunter and social pressure and education should be the tools to promote that, not legislation.

NYS is one of the most regulated, over legislated states in the nation. I personally do not want any more restrictive legislation passed by this nanny state.

I registered NAY, and included my opinion for whatever shred of good that might do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

I thought they took away AR in the Park?

They did for last year. Word has it they are bringing it back but not sure why 8M is not on the list they put out.

Their thinking was that to many undersized bucks were being found but the workers that i know on the park say that most of the dead are found during bow season. With the park being so close to the private land they say that the deer are being shot outside the park and being found on the park.

20 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

Here's an FYI:

New York State Senator Thomas O'Mara, chair of the EnCon committee, today introduced SB 4739 - Establishes the yearling buck protection program.  Deputy Majority Leader DeFrancisco is a co-sponsor.

https://www.prolinebowstrings.com/archery-accessories/d-loop-material/

Don't harass the messenger...  Ha.

Cheers...

Yeah they did that last year too. I think its cuz the deer are being shot outside the park Its hard to tell where the boarders are at some parts

10 minutes ago, JoshFrankly said:

Yeah they did that last year too. I think its cuz the deer are being shot outside the park Its hard to tell where the boarders are at some parts

Just to clarify:

There's a substantive difference between what DEC offered as regulations last year and this piece of legislation.  It's a brand new bill, and attempts to codify, in statute, an antler restriction program.  Regulations are more malleable, but a statute would be on the books as law and require an act of the Legislature to remove it.  It's a substantive, and significant difference.

If you're for it, or against it, it's a good idea to let your state senator and assembly member know before it moves...

• Like 1