SB 4739 - Establishes the yearling buck protection program

Rebel Darling

Did any of you expand the justification section of the linked legislation via the "expand arrow"? Hunter satisfaction is the only justification, which goes back to how ARs got implemented in certain areas a few years ago. The old proverbial squeaky wheel theorem! NOTHING to do with whitetail mgmt or science based facts! Was solely based on the DEC's surveys showing less than 1/2 ( ≤ ~40%) of NYS hunters were satisfied with their opportunities of taking a mature buck. 

IMO, just a very sad example of what deer hunting in NYS has evolved into in today's world.

• Like 1

Satisfaction survey? Sure it has to be cry babies. Never mind the fact that there are plenty of NY hunters who take their time money out of state yearly and those hunters just my have an expanded pool of experiences to base THEIR options and satisfaction on. So joe blow that hasn't hunted anywhere but uncle mikes back 20's opinion is valid however someone else's has no validity. Add in conspiracies and DEC backhanded innuendos and you have a viable forum consensus. What a typical crock of shit.

6 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Did any of you expand the justification section of the linked legislation via the "expand arrow"? Hunter satisfaction is the only justification, which goes back to how ARs got implemented in certain areas a few years ago. The old proverbial squeaky wheel theorem! NOTHING to do with whitetail mgmt or science based facts! Was solely based on the DEC's surveys showing less than 1/2 ( ≤ ~40%) of NYS hunters were satisfied with their opportunities of taking a mature buck. 

IMO, just a very sad example of what deer hunting in NYS has evolved into in today's world.

Some people here cannot seem to wrap their head around it - because they met face to face, so it must be true.

17 hours ago, Two Track said:

No matter the number of points the antler has, you can't eat them.

I don't care how big the antlers are, or if they have any at all, just want to put some meat in the freezer.

There is nothing wrong with your view. But I do hope you're not naïve enough to think you're not in the minority.

I love horns. Wont hide it. But I haven't shot a buck in 2 years because I refused to shoot yearlings. Plenty of doe meat in the freezer and that's just fine. I have an uncle who will pass mature breeder doe and shoot a 3 point because he "has to get his buck". He is not the only guy who does that, we all know a few. And he's within his rights to do so. Some day I hope the ball busting and guilting I give him will "educate" him to let the little guys walk :drinks:

11 minutes ago, Belo said:

There is nothing wrong with your view. But I do hope you're not naïve enough to think you're not in the minority.

I love horns. Wont hide it. But I haven't shot a buck in 2 years because I refused to shoot yearlings. Plenty of doe meat in the freezer and that's just fine. I have an uncle who will pass mature breeder doe and shoot a 3 point because he "has to get his buck". He is not the only guy who does that, we all know a few. And he's within his rights to do so. Some day I hope the ball busting and guilting I give him will "educate" him to let the little guys walk :drinks:

Antler shaming - you must be a liberal. You probably worry about manspreading, too.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I've hunted plenty of places outside NY for whitetails. I still think AR is a crock myself.

Regardless if AR is the best implementation for a law change its still a change from the status quo which many are not satisfied with. I.e. Many see it a a step no matter how small in the right direction, that may lead to bigger more effect steps at later intervals.

9 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How about no deer hunting whatsoever in the entire state for 2 full years. What would the results be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe hunting for food is a right. And while modern times do not require it, and my venison ends up costing a lot after gear and time, for many it doesn't. It's good quality organic meat.

You would have more of a revolt than the safe act and many animal rights groups would be claiming victory.

Our state may not be perfect, but our deer season isn't broken.

17 minutes ago, phade said:

Antler shaming - you must be a liberal. You probably worry about manspreading, too.

you know I'm not a liberal. You must be a liberal if you can't take a little ball busting. a 63 year old man with a museum of heads on the wall can handle some flack from his 33 year old god son.

I am definitely not excited about the status quo, but I also don't want to throw spaghetti on the wall.

That said I can't complain too much because we (my hunting partners) tend to do pretty well year in and year out. Three hunters and a 2.5, two 3.5s, a 4.5 and a 5.5+ this year. The poor sap who shot the 2.5 y/o passed on a ridiculous 3.5, too.

AR is simply not the right direction, even. Season structure, tag allocation, removing legislators from the body of science so the DEC could be proactive, etc. That is where the direction is "right."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belo said:

you know I'm not a liberal. You must be a liberal if you can't take a little ball busting. a 63 year old man with a museum of heads on the wall can handle some flack from his 33 year old god son.

Glad to see I shook the apple tree this morning.

I am definitely not excited about the status quo, but I also don't want to throw spaghetti on the wall.
That said I can't complain too much because we (my hunting partners) tend to do pretty well year in and year out. Three hunters and a 2.5, two 3.5s, a 4.5 and a 5.5+ this year. The poor sap who shot the 2.5 y/o passed on a ridiculous 3.5, too.
AR is simply not the right direction, even. Season structure, tag allocation, removing legislators from the body of science so the DEC could be proactive, etc. That is where the direction is "right."

Great let's go one buck tag per license to be used in any season. Cut the regular firearms season back to a statewide 9 days staring dec 1 yearly. Forget any AR. Bring enough rope for a comfortable hanging when you propose it.
  • Like 1

Some people here cannot seem to wrap their head around it - because they met face to face, so it must be true.

Sure boss. Just don't hate the messenger. This isn't my pet project. Face to face has nothing to do with it. Just saying something more is needed than a survey and crying. Senators don't care either way. their just greasing squeaky wheels with their ass covered like NYslowhand said.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Anyone can propose a bill in that role. Just because it is written means they used anything other than political posturing to do so. Slowhand nailed it.

The SAFE act was probably one of the biggest acts Cuomo will ever "organize/push" through legislation and the legislators couldn't even get that right (what they see as right). Leaving out the police's ability to carry their necessary firearms...give me a break. Now we see WMUs in the overpopulation areas in and some out and we're supposed to believe that it was based on science? Please.

It's as simple as Slowhand described. Poorly written. Poorly executed. Typical of where we are today here in NY.

Great let's go one buck tag per license to be used in any season. Cut the regular firearms season back to a statewide 9 days staring dec 1 yearly. Forget any AR. Bring enough rope for a comfortable hanging when you propose it.

Despite talking about buck restrictions is like talking about abortion to some I don't think it'd go down like that. Assuming you're talking to DEC you'd just get laughed at brining up one buck rule. I've literally seen it at a private meeting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I'm not a gotta get a buck kind of guy but I will not waste anything. Paying for a buck tag and not getting one is a waste. I do not like eating older bucks and will not shoot one for the decorations on there head. Why is the bow tag either sex and the tag for gun buck only? Make my tag either sex and I will take a doe with it instead of a young buck. Does anyone know why the bow tag is either sex while the gun tag is buck only?  I have always wondered about that. I bet there are a lot of meat hunters who would fill that tag with a doe instead of a buck.

• Like 1

The either sex tag needs to go - and I think many people probably agree. It causes problems in areas where there are no or few DMPs.

They should manage doe harvest separately altogether from the tag perspective.

• Like 3