WY - Supertags

BizCT

You have a very slight chance. I have 13 sheep points however until I reach 17 my odds are only .36 in any wy unit.

Moose has 0% chance pre 18 points in any unit except unit 5 for the most part.
I don't put in for any lower 48 mountain goat hunts since hunting in Canada is so easy and affordable.

WY single bison hunt has 10 non resident tags this year and about a 1.5 % draw.

You have a very slight chance. I have 13 sheep points however until I reach 17 my odds are only .36 in any wy unit.

I don't put in for any lower 48 mountain goat hunts since hunting in Canada is so easy and affordable.

Yea but someone has to be picked. $10 isn't bad. What do u consider reasonable for Mtn Goats? I would go with Babine in BC, but don't want to spend $10K even with the usd being stronger than can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea but someone has to be picked. $10 isn't bad. What do u consider reasonable for Mtn Goats? I would go with Babine in BC, but don't want to spend $10K even with the usd being stronger than can

$10-14K, is about what it will cost in a high quality area with excellent outfitter. Considering you spend 2500-3500 in application fees, not counting on the 1000-2000 tag cost after you draw...AND then your looking a 10-15 years to maybe get your hands on a Billy tag in the lower 48. couple that with the fact there are less then a handful of really good units as far as trophy quality in the lower 48 compared to Canada and even Alaska ... all that and the fact that you can schedule and plan a Canadian hunt makes it a deal.

$10-14K, is about what it will cost in a high quality area with excellent outfitter. Considering you spend 2500-3500 in application fees, not counting on the 1000-2000 tag cost after you draw...AND then your looking a 10-15 years to maybe get your hands on a Billy tag in the lower 48. couple that with the fact there are less then a handful of really good units as far as trophy quality in the lower 48 compared to Canada and even Alaska ... all that and the fact that you can schedule and plan a Canadian hunt makes it a deal.

That's why I like $10 per year lol. I don't want 1 bad enough to spend 5 figures. I buy PP in WY for elk deer and lope though. This way someday down the road I can go and hunt somewhere decent. I think I have 3 for elk and 2 for deer/lope. I'll buy again July 1.

That's why I like $10 per year lol. I don't want 1 bad enough to spend 5 figures. I buy PP in WY for elk deer and lope though. This way someday down the road I can go and hunt somewhere decent. I think I have 3 for elk and 2 for deer/lope. I'll buy again July 1.

Regardless if you did draw a Wy Billy tag you would be looking at 10k between the 2000 tag cost and the fact that you would be required to hire a guide because both the tags are in the wilderness area and it required by law. So why spend the same money for a lessor tag?

".....

Wtf is up with the internet today... quadruple post??

55 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

Regardless if you did draw a Wy Billy tag you would be looking at 10k between the 2000 tag cost and the fact that you would be required to hire a guide because both the tags are in the wilderness area and it required by law. So why spend the same money for a lessor tag?

Wouldn't cost $8K to have a guide for a Mtn. Goat. Most are under $5K since there aren't a lot of opps to make $ in this context for them. I'm sure they can be haggled even lower since a supertag is pretty much good for anywhere in the entire state. I'm thinking $7K and way cheaper to fly roundtrip to WY then BC or Alaska. It's all irrelevant since I'll never win anyway. Separately, can the supertags be sold? Bet they would go for big bucks.

Wouldn't cost $8K to have a guide for a Mtn. Goat. Most are under $5K since there aren't a lot of opps to make $ in this context for them. I'm sure they can be haggled even lower since a supertag is pretty much good for anywhere in the entire state. I'm thinking $7K and way cheaper to fly roundtrip to WY then BC or Alaska. It's all irrelevant since I'll never win anyway. Separately, can the supertags be sold? Bet they would go for big bucks.

The only tags that would be worth anything is the sheep and moose tags. Both have decent units in WY, the MG tags are poor at best.

The only tags that would be worth anything is the sheep and moose tags. Both have decent units in WY, the MG tags are poor at best.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trial153 said:

i think u have sheep and moose messed up with.  sheep should be moose and moose should be sheep

if u have 13 sheep points, ur always going to be in the random draw.  when u get to 17 still in random. the point pools above  u have to many hunters.  they will never get to ur point pool for a preference draw. ur only chance of drawing is in the random pool.  to draw a moose tag in the preference pool ur going to need 17 to 16 points now to have a chance in the the lower 3/4 units.  

• Like 1

if u have 13 sheep points, ur always going to be in the random draw.  when u get to 17 still in random. the point pools above  u have to many hunters.  they will never get to ur point pool for a preference draw. ur only chance of drawing is in the random pool.  to draw a moose tag in the preference pool ur going to need 17 to 16 points now to have a chance in the the lower 3/4 units.  

You are correct, I missed it my first post. I guess also you can add to that Shiras moose we have no option to purchase a tag so we're stuck spending 20 years drawing. I put myself in the same shoes in regards to a big horn-tag, in that yes I can go hunt them in Alberta to the tune of 55k however I am not going to. So the 4-5k I spend on drawing a tag over 20 years in three states is a somewhat justified expense. Their is always hope that some state address the point creep issue they created as well. Similar to what Arizona did last year with their reg changes however I think we can all agree that more drastic changes over several years will needed in more then one state.
  • Like 1

i wish i had done things differently when it comes to the point game.  i should of taken the money and invested it. i would be sitting pretty hunting the west every year.  i would buy the tags and hunts that i most wanted to do, not hoping that i get lucky in some draw.  my guess is that  u will never draw in ur lifetime.  good luck     

• Like 1

i wish i had done things differently when it comes to the point game.  i should of taken the money and invested it. i would be sitting pretty hunting the west every year.  i would buy the tags and hunts that i most wanted to do, not hoping that i get lucky in some draw.  my guess is that  u will never draw in ur lifetime.  good luck     

Your probably right. Points have been a big ponzie Game. I did a similar thing with a large plot of land in NY in regards to my yearly bowhunting for whitetail. The money I took out of the land and the taxes saved let's me bow hunt for three weeks out of state yearly for whitetails in better places and better deer then I could ever hope for on my land, and further more I spend less money doing it. In fact I am selling my remaining property for the same reason.
As for a BH sheep I might just get sick for it and go hunt Canada, who knows? Otherwise I been burning all my points the last 5 years. In the next 15 years I am looking at 3 premium elk tags and about the same excellent mule deer tags. After that I am out of the point game. I been booking landowner tags and Canada will keep me hunting till I can't hunt any more.
  • Like 1

Yea Wyoming is already the most expensive state to build points in, now it is even freaking worse.

What about states where you have to buy a license. I think AZ required that. Isnt that more each year?