Looking for (paid) help for Junior Turkey Weekend

jmark

Hi Folks,

My 12 year old has pushed me to all kinds of new areas.  He shoots competitive rimfire, and we enjoy time at the range together.  Never did much hunting but have been dabbling (with little success).  I know turkey hunting is a pretty serious effort, but it sounds really fun and challenging, and potentially very rewarding.  

What I was thinking is, trying to find someone who could sort of act as our "guide" for the junior weekend, in finding a location, in technique, etc.  Obviously I would expect to pay for this.  Somewhere south of Albany/east of Binghamton would be ideal.  We would manage our own accommodations.  He would be shooting his 1946 Marlin 60 (16 gauge), handed down from his great-grandfather (who purchased it in Asia at the end of the Korean War).  

If anyone has any suggestions or willingness to do something like this, please contact me via PM.  

Mods, if this is not an appropriate post, please do whatever you need to do, I will understand.

jmark

• Like 3

Hi Folks,
My 12 year old has pushed me to all kinds of new areas.  He shoots competitive rimfire, and we enjoy time at the range together.  Never did much hunting but have been dabbling (with little success).  I know turkey hunting is a pretty serious effort, but it sounds really fun and challenging, and potentially very rewarding.  
What I was thinking is, trying to find someone who could sort of act as our "guide" for the junior weekend, in finding a location, in technique, etc.  Obviously I would expect to pay for this.  Somewhere south of Albany/east of Binghamton would be ideal.  We would manage our own accommodations.  He would be shooting his 1946 Marlin 60 (16 gauge), handed down from his great-grandfather (who purchased it in Asia at the end of the Korean War).  
If anyone has any suggestions or willingness to do something like this, please contact me via PM.  
Mods, if this is not an appropriate post, please do whatever you need to do, I will understand.
jmark

Good luck. Hope someone makes you an offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be more than happy to take a youth hunter out, with dad of course. But this youth weekend, I'll have my grandson out, trying to get his first turkey. If later in the season, you still have not connected, shoot me a PM.  I know I can work something out for a private land hunt in the hill towns of Albany county. No money necessary. Payment can be made, after you get the hang of turkey hunting, by passing along, what you have learned, to another new hunter. The youngster does have his NYS Hunter Safety Course and Jr. hunters License, I assume.

• Like 4

Can't go wrong with anyone here good too see.

I have not seen anyone ask if you have patterned that 16 yet. May want to get out and check that out run some different rounds through it see what your looking at. Good luck I'm no turkey hunter never killed one but will be taking my cousin out for his 2nd youth season. Last year we heard a few gobble and he about shook right outta his boots he was so pumped. Hope to see some pics

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I sent a message...If they chose to go out with me my first question would be if they patterned that gun!..an old gun like that wouldn't have choke tubes but it could be choked full from the factory. If its not patterning well I have guns they could borrow that are proven turkey killers. I can also help out with a hunter safety course, license and turkey stamps.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, LI OUTDOORSMAN said:

I sent a message...If they chose to go out with me my first question would be if they patterned that gun!..an old gun like that wouldn't have choke tubes but it could be choked full from the factory. If its not patterning well I have guns they could borrow that are proven turkey killers. I can also help out with a hunter safety course, license and turkey stamps.

It just does not get any better than that! Awesome!!!!!

• Like 2

Wow!  I was away for a couple of days and just able to check back.  What a great bunch of people here!  Deeply appreciate all the offers of help.  PM's going out shortly and thank you!  

Oh, and no, we haven't patterned the gun.  In fact, it was a Christmas present from my dad to my son, and is at the gunsmith now having some work done.  We're eyeing a few other possibilities in the event it isn't right (or ready in time).  I've been assuming it's full choke from the factory.  

The boy will be thrilled to hear all this.  Ever since he took the hunter ed course he's been interested in turkey hunting - I think the course made it sound like one of the most challenging kinds of hunting, which seems to have intrigued him.  

Will be in touch, guys, thank you.

jmark

P.S.  Not sure why I said Marlin 60, it's a Marlin 90.  Pic attached (next to my Anschutz).

IMG_2932.JPG

• Like 1

That is a fine old shotgun , and chances are very high that it is choked mod/full, since it appears to have 28" barrels..

Yes, you should pattern it, mostly to make sure that it shoots to point of aim...16 gauge shells are not that hard to find and a good load of  1 1/8 oz of of # 6 or 7 1/2 lead shot  should produce a good killing pattern out to 30 or 35 yards..