Deck (clean and re-stain)

BizCT

I'm looking to have my deck cleaned and re-stained the same color it is. I am located in northern Westchester county. Anybody do this? I have a few free estimates already setup, but figured I would see if anyone on this forum is experienced in this and looking for work.

Thanks.

Power wash it and do it yourself. Not much to it The spindles take the longest but they make special brushes for that to speed up time. Betcha you'd be done by your 4th Modelo Heck , my dad surprised us by doing ours when we were in Ithaca 2 years ago. He was 90 at the time lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Power wash it and do it yourself. Not much to it The spindles take the longest but they make special brushes for that to speed up time. Betcha you'd be done by your 4th Modelo Heck , my dad surprised us by doing ours when we were in Ithaca 2 years ago. He was 90 at the time lol.

Use a car wash glove for the spindles

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

f that. I'm not spending hours painting a deck and stairs. I did it years ago as a kid for my grandfather's deck and it sucked. I'm not burning a pool day or golf day to do this. I do everything else landscape-wise and pool-wise, but I have zero interest in cleaning/sanding and staining.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 4

Seriously? Really?
Maybe you can get the people who install your new shed to do your deck as well or vise versa. As you like to say, "Money Is King!". Maybe you can get a discount for having both done at once and paying with cash.
:clapping:

Lol. I was joking about 8-10 guys. I'm hoping $1K or so. Have a few estimates coming Saturday.

That sounds pretty steep.

I read like $700-$1500 but have no idea. Guess I'll find out soon. Figured whoever comes is going to complain about all the slats I have. It's wacky.

If your using a legit company that's paying there guys on the books I'd say 1200-1500 range. Cash guys I'd say half that. Material you need is no more than $200 and the rest is gonna be labor

Thx. Yea I plan to use legit company but negotiate with cash. I don't want to go down the road of a trex deck until we have kids someday and then do siding at same time and pick colors/style all at the same time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thx. Yea I plan to use legit company but negotiate with cash. I don't want to go down the road of a trex deck until we have kids someday and then do siding at same time and pick colors/style all at the same time.

Do yourself a favor also, ask each contractor how they'll be applying the decking stain. The right job is to have it applied by brush. It's the only way to work the stain into the wood. If it's roller applied eventually the deck will peel, most likely during the winter. 

Do yourself a favor also, ask each contractor how they'll be applying the decking stain. The right job is to have it applied by brush. It's the only way to work the stain into the wood. If it's roller applied eventually the deck will peel, most likely during the winter. 

Thx for the tip

• Like 1

Damn if I lived a little closer I'd pop over on a weekend and do it. The amount of board ft I've stained over the years has gotta be incredibly high. Did 2 complete houses for my parents, 6000sqft and a 4800sq ft house. Plus my old house 2300sq ft and every gigantic deck my mother always built on their houses. My old man always used to joke I should be a painter since I somehow always ended up being the one doing the staining.

With a decent pressure washer I could have your deck cleaned and stained pretty dang quick.

• Like 1

O and if you thought about doing it yourself. The easiest way I've always found was doing it with a sprayer and someone following behind you to brush it in and catch any runs. Spraying spreads the stain a lot easier and the brushing pushes it in and gives you the better look. It's a much faster process than just trying to brush it all on. With untreated pine or similar wood, it soaks most stains up faster than you can apply it with a brush.

• Like 1

For a deck that size I'd look into composite decking.  I hated staining my deck on the old house.  Used composite decking on the new deck.  3 yrs old and still looks like the day I installed it.  I'm never staining again!!

• Like 1

For a deck that size I'd look into composite decking.  I hated staining my deck on the old house.  Used composite decking on the new deck.  3 yrs old and still looks like the day I installed it.  I'm never staining again!!

I can 2nd that. Composite is where it's at these days. In your case Biz, you'd save money since your hiring out for staining to be done. Idk about you but my decks always need a fresh coat every 3-5 years depending on which brand stain I used the first time and how much sun it gets.

Just don't use anything Thompson's watersealer. Good god that stuff is junk. If you have a dog(s) you'll find out really quick what a cheap stain will do! Lol

Yea like I mentioned I'm not going to trex ($12k - $15k) until we have kids and know we staying here long term. I would do it same time as siding on house so whatever colors we pick everything matches.