Deck (clean and re-stain)

BizCT

That's the top of the line Trex. Add in the railing system and you should see the cost of materials. Roughly $80/16' stick. Add $300 for the blind clips. 
About $4200 for the decking material only.

Yea the Trex website calculator has the materials around $5-6K when you include all the structure and posts etc. I'm not keeping any of the existing structure. I was hoping labor would be around the same putting total at 10-12K, guess not......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest there is more in material there than you think.....wrap of deck frame and risers is not cheap. Trex and rail system will exceed that #, plus wrap/frame/etc.

If I was closer I'd crunch a # for cash; but bit too far for me. Did a pile of work around Mt Kisco and Golden's Bridge some years ago, always had great clients around those areas who wanted good work.

Honest there is more in material there than you think.....wrap of deck frame and risers is not cheap. Trex and rail system will exceed that #, plus wrap/frame/etc.
If I was closer I'd crunch a # for cash; but bit too far for me. Did a pile of work around Mt Kisco and Golden's Bridge some years ago, always had great clients around those areas who wanted good work.

I'm north of Mt Kisco (so closer to you!).

• Like 1

Holy ship 20 K for a deck. are they building out of a virgin narwhal whale material ?!

I assume the material is the same price everywhere. Maybe the labor is cheaper upstate?

Wow!! I'm getting quotes for a new 2 story 2 car garage and I'm getting prices from 18-25k so far. That's nuts that I can get a garage built for as much as a trex deck.

Yea I'm sure I could get a pressure treated wood deck for under $10K but don't want the hassle every few years.

Trex is like Vinyl siding on a house. You pay for it, but then don't worry about it for 20-25 years. Speaking of which, what does vinyl siding cost you guys? My friend has a typical raised ranch (under 2K sq ft) and paid around $24K- and that was 3 years ago

Yea I'm sure I could get a pressure treated wood deck for under $10K but don't want the hassle every few years.
Trex is like Vinyl siding on a house. You pay for it, but then don't worry about it for 20-25 years. Speaking of which, what does vinyl siding cost you guys? My friend has a typical raised ranch (under 2K sq ft) and paid around $24K- and that was 3 years ago

Ya I'm sure wood would be much cheaper but I understand why you'd want trex. I'm debating myself on replacing our deck boards with trex but I don't think I'm gonna do it. I have 2 young boys, they will be old enough the next time it needs to be stained to do it for me. I did it for my father multiple times over the years so I expect my boys to get it done for me some day haha. My boys are lucky our house has vinyl siding instead of board and batten like all my parents houses had. Staining wood siding every few years REALLY sucks on a 5000 sq ft house
  • Like 2

Btw, I should mention that my deck is on the 2nd floor so I would have approx 9 steps leading to the backyard so essentially my deck is 16x24 instead of the aforementioned 16x19 (not including steps)

I'm certain too, that a Trex deck will add value to your home, if you should ever decide to sell. So it's not like you're tossing out $. And I'm sure the closer you are to NYC, the higher the labor costs. Being in Westchester, you are fairly close. So home pricing is higher too. My point is that most quality home improvements add value to the home.

• Like 1

If you are going composite I would go with Azek..   Far superior product in my opinion..   We have had ours for 2 years  and never requires more than hosing it off

I know it's not what your looking for but choice dek from Lowe's or moisture shield are great options vs Trex or azek. Same 25 yr warranty and won't break the bank. Another thing to consider when switch from PT to composite is joist spacing must be 16" center's

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 4/11/2017 at 9:20 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was even willing to go with the non Trex railings to save money, but still over $18K for the lowest estimate I have gotten.

128b65706ae0d3ed3694388a3c54ff0a.jpg

They obviously want to retire off your deck. Ask them you want it itemized and see what they are charging for labor. I am willing to bet they didn't want to do your deck so they over estimated. I know of guys in my area that will do this.

Reached a deal. $14K cash. Having it done next April. It's over $6K at least in materials from what I researched, so $8K to tear down the old one and redo the new one along with dealing with the town and engineering approvals etc. I'm good.

Lock it up

• Like 2

I know its a done deal but Trex is not the best out there its real good but not the best. This client of mine had some sort of Brazilian deck done. The wood was so tough the crew went through 20 drill bits installing it. Stain it once and good forever. Mega-Bucks though. I have Trex with Azak trim for 3 years now and love it. My biggest concern was color fading from sun but so far so good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Reached a deal. $14K cash. Having it done next April. It's over $6K at least in materials from what I researched, so $8K to tear down the old one and redo the new one along with dealing with the town and engineering approvals etc. I'm good.

Lock it up

Hey I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing any chance you can pm me the info of the company you are using im looking for estimates now

Hey I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing any chance you can pm me the info of the company you are using im looking for estimates now

Will do.