Deck (clean and re-stain)

BizCT

My dad always used a pump sprayer every other year , it was always really quick. I know you said you wanted someone to just show up and do it and be gone , with that first quote though ,you may end up saying screw this crap and knock it out yourself.

Biz what kind of stain is on the deck now?  Is it Semi transparent or solid and which stain are you looking to put on it again?

If the existing stain is a transparent or semi transparent and you want to use the same the deck needs to be stripped down to bare wood again.  If not the new stain will puddle or lay on top of the existing finish and will not be able to penetrate, which means it will peel off in a short period of time.  If you are going to use a solid stain on top of the existing finish then you don't need to strip the deck, however it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Also make sure you don't do this job until the weather stabilizes and the overnight temps do not drop below 50-55 degrees otherwise moisture and dew will compromise the new paint and can cause bubbling and peeling. Any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask.  I have 40 years of painting experience. 

Biz what kind of stain is on the deck now?  Is it Semi transparent or solid and which stain are you looking to put on it again?
If the existing stain is a transparent or semi transparent and you want to use the same the deck needs to be stripped down to bare wood again.  If not the new stain will puddle or lay on top of the existing finish and will not be able to penetrate, which means it will peel off in a short period of time.  If you are going to use a solid stain on top of the existing finish then you don't need to strip the deck, however it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Also make sure you don't do this job until the weather stabilizes and the overnight temps do not drop below 50-55 degrees otherwise moisture and dew will compromise the new paint and can cause bubbling and peeling. Any other questions or concerns please feel free to ask.  I have 40 years of painting experience. 

7269401d76321593d9bb0e0ab59aae1f.jpg

Previous owners left this. The color is California Rustic and we are fine doing same exact color.

Deck isn't in bad shape, we just want it to look fresh.

89817130417163d408eea141f8e19f9f.jpg

My neighbor got his whole outside of house painted for under$4,500 so I'm going to call his guy next. I would think a deck (15x16) shouldn't be more than $1200 or so to powerwash, prep, and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so it is a solid stain.  Instead of power washing it, which could cause more damage than good, go to Home Depot or your local paint store and buy a deck cleaner that you can apply and use with a bristle brush.  Use it as directed and hose it off. Power washing opens the wood pores too much and also removes wood from the deck.  When the pores are open they absorb water deeper into the boards and take longer to dry even though they may feel dry to the touch.  Once the deck is cleaned allow at least two to three days, depending on weather, to dry before staining it.  Only do one coat so it dries well and cures properly.  In a year or two, depending on wear, you can top coat it again. 

The bare spots on the boards tell me that you let it go a little too long before refinishing it.  You want to try and avoid that in the future.  Your estimate of around $1200 is in the ball park for that job. 

• Like 1

Damn that first quote was crazy! Could almost build a whole new deck for that much! Lol.

I agree with the no pressure washing if your doing a solid. Especially since your boards are a little jacked up to begin with. 41e48cfb0125fbeceeba6cec35ede89a.jpg

My deck is looking even worse than yours but just an example of the type of wood not to bother pressure washing. New deck boards is one of my summer projects. Have a builder coming over in a couple of hours to give me a quote on building a new garage. Once that's done with I'll move onto the decking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Lota' work, lota good product=lota money

From the pic though there really isn't a lot of work if your a painting contractor. The way I see is 1 man day for power washing even if it only took a few hours which it would. And 2 man days to stain the deck. Material I'd say no more than 4 gallons of stain at $50 per gal (homeowner prices).

From the pic though there really isn't a lot of work if your a painting contractor. The way I see is 1 man day for power washing even if it only took a few hours which it would. And 2 man days to stain the deck. Material I'd say no more than 4 gallons of stain at $50 per gal (homeowner prices).

Yea estimate today said 1 day to clean/prep. 2 days of stain. He thought 6 gallons total counting steps and pillars etc

On 3/8/2017 at 8:29 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I read like $700-$1500 but have no idea. Guess I'll find out soon. Figured whoever comes is going to complain about all the slats I have. It's wacky.

I would give up the pool day and spend the weekend doing the work yourself then take the spoils and buy yourself a new hunting toy with the money you were going to give away,, that type of work is about as easy as it gets....

:)

• Like 1

I would give up the pool day and spend the weekend doing the work yourself then take the spoils and buy yourself a new hunting toy with the money you were going to give away,, that type of work is about as easy as it gets....

Nah. I've done it before and it sucks. I already have all the other landscaping to deal with every weekend. Gotta put out like 40-45 bags of mulch as well. Only so many good weather weekends and nothing fun about cleaning and painting wood.

22 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nah. I've done it before and it sucks. I already have all the other landscaping to deal with every weekend. Gotta put out like 40-45 bags of mulch as well. Only so many good weather weekends and nothing fun about cleaning and painting wood.

Ahhh.... but you have the hot tub for the bad days :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When you do go to composite decking do your research very well. I have a sensational pool around two tiered deck with $12,000 of shit composite cracking and warping all over the place. Correct Deck I think it was which of course went bankrupt and bought out by another to avoid lawsuits.

• Like 2

When you do go to composite decking do your research very well. I have a sensational pool around two tiered deck with $12,000 of shit composite cracking and warping all over the place. Correct Deck I think it was which of course went bankrupt and bought out by another to avoid lawsuits.

I would just use Trex

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would just use Trex

Or Azek even better..If its gets full sun it will be scorching hot to the touch when walking on it. Definitely get sample pieces first to keep out out there so you see the difference vs. wood

• Like 1

Now I'm thinking Trex deck. Was real close to pulling trigger on 1 of two guys ($1200 or $1500) for cleaning and re-staining, but now I'm thinking why waste that money and just put it towards Trex deck? Have estimate coming Sunday (guy who did my grandfathers brand new deck in the fall). We'll see.....

On 3/8/2017 at 8:29 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I read like $700-$1500 but have no idea. Guess I'll find out soon. Figured whoever comes is going to complain about all the slats I have. It's wacky.

Are you handy? Remove the old decking and put on some composite for $500 more then never worry about staining again.

How big is your deck? After having it done 2 times you could have paid for someone to put the composite on and the decking.

Edited by chas0218

Are you handy? Remove the old decking and put on some composite for $500 more then never worry about staining again.

How big is your deck? After having it done 2 times you could have paid for someone to put the composite on and the decking.

I would want everything new. The entire current deck torn down and A new old built without using anything from the old one.