Remington 700 recall..

Read in the NYODN  safety issue with the trigger . It can fire without the trigger being touched...

This made me think of the guy that shot his sister in law...was it a Remington???? If so was it in the recall years??? Did it take deaths to uncover this???? So many questions.

I also would like to know ...having bought mine  New and registered , why did I have to read about it in a hunting magazine? When ten point had a safety issue they sent me a notification right away

Edited by growalot

I believe they are currently only doing a recall on the ones with the x mark pro trigger. Last I knew they were still battling in court about the rest of them. There's a documentary that used to be on Netflix called "Remington under fire" that has a good bit of info about the design flaws of the Walker trigger which I believe is in a majority of 700 rifles and is currently not being recalled.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I've been hearing of this for years. If indeed there is a problem with certain 700 triggers, why would Remington, not correct it right away? Remington is one of the most popular brands of firearms in the US. Why jeopardize that reputation? 

I've heard Remington quality and qc started declining after they were bought out by the Freedom Group in 2007.

My friend's older 700 (from the 90's I think) never gave him any issues.

I thought of the 700 but the qcconcerns had me go with a ruger instead.

There have been lawsuits against Remington well before they sold to Freedom Group about these triggers.  I have no way of proving if these triggers are truly defective or not (I've surely never had an issue with my 700's), but I know that many of the accidents that did occur would NOT have occurred if the shooter practiced safe gun handling.  Check out the latest 60 minutes report that was aired about a month or so ago (Maybe you'll find it on youtube?).  A young kid shot and killed his brother with a M700 in their living room.  He even went to jail for it.  The kids father found out about the trigger issues and now he's suing Remington.  The two brothers apparently had a squabble and one of the brothers got the rifle out and loaded it just to scare his brother.  Boom, the gun went off and his brother is dead!  If I were a judge I'd throw that suit right out the window.  Defective trigger or not, you load ANY gun and point it at someone YOU are responsible if the gun goes off, case closed!

• Like 2

Yep if I remember correctlly this has been a long long ongoing thing appearently under some conditions when the safety is released the gun fires. I remember a store from one of the 3 major networks had to be 10 plus years ago based upon a women who shot her kid when she released the safety to unload it. I agree with the assumption that if general rules of gun safety were used none of this would happen... but if its still happening what on earth is remington thinking not addressing the problem? Almost all bolt action rifles use the same mauser type action and dont seem to have this problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I first heard of this more than ten years ago.  For two consecutive years back then, I hunted the last weekend of gun season at a friends family camp in the southern tier.   One of the daughters married a  very a tightly-wound, former army drill sergeant.  The first year, he had his brand-new, model 700 Remington .270, while I had my old Ruger M77, .30/06.    I remember him explaining at length, the superiority of his top-of-the-line Remington, and the ballistic advantage of the .270 over over my mid-grade, Ruger .30/06.  

One evening, after a few beers in town, I asked him for a couple rounds for backup the next morning (I only had half a box), in case I ran out and had to defend myself against a hungry bear.   I explained that his smaller bullets would chamber and fire out of my larger-bore rifle if necessary (certainly with extremely poor accuracy).  Because my gun would fire his bullets but his would not chamber of fire mine, I claimed that as an advantage for the 06.  Maybe even one that could stop a guy from becoming bear poop.  That pissed him off a bit and he would not let me borrow any.  I pointed out a second advantage, at the little store on the top of the hill, when we stopped on the way home from the bar.   They had a few boxes of 30/06 in stock, but no .270.  

The next year, I was quite surprised to see him packing his old 12 ga slug gun and not his beloved model 700 rifle.   He explained the trigger issue that had recently came up.  I think he had seen something about it on TV, and he may have also experienced a misfire on the target range.  Being a no-nonsense type of guy, he gave up on that rifle and never hunted with it again.  I could tell that he was saddened by the ordeal and did not want to talk about it.           

Edited by wolc123

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I first heard of this more than ten years ago.  For two consecutive years back then, I hunted the last weekend of gun season at a friends family camp in the southern tier.   One of the daughters married a  very a tightly-wound, former army drill sergeant.  The first year, he had his brand-new, model 700 Remington .270, while I had my old Ruger M77, .30/06.    I remember him explaining at length, the superiority of his top-of-the-line Remington, and the ballistic advantage of the .270 over over my mid-grade, Ruger .30/06.  

One evening, after a few beers in town, I asked him for a couple rounds for backup the next morning (I only had half a box), in case I ran out and had to defend myself against a hungry bear.   I explained that his smaller bullets would chamber and fire out of my larger-bore rifle if necessary (certainly with extremely poor accuracy).  Because my gun would fire his bullets but his would not chamber of fire mine, I claimed that as an advantage for the 06.  Maybe even one that could stop a guy from becoming bear poop.  That pissed him off a bit and he would not let me borrow any.  I pointed out a second advantage, at the little store on the top of the hill, when we stopped on the way home from the bar.   They had a few boxes of 30/06 in stock, but no .270.  

The next year, I was quite surprised to see him packing his old 12 ga slug gun and not his beloved model 700 rifle.   He explained the trigger issue that had recently came up.  I think he had seen something about it on TV, and he may have also experienced a misfire on the target range.  Being a no-nonsense type of guy, he gave up on that rifle and never hunted with it again.  I could tell that he was saddened by the ordeal and did not want to talk about it.           

Oh man, I don't know who's BS'ing more here.  The guys who claim that their 700's fire by themselves or your post here??   You consider it an advantage owning a .30-06 because it could fire off a .270 round in a pinch?   I honestly don't even know if you could get a .270 Win to chamber into a .30-06 rifle?  I think the neck of a .270 is slightly longer.  I never tried it, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to give it a try or even consider that as an advantage to owning a .30-06.   Dude, I'm sort of glad you DON'T own a 700 because from what I've read here you sound like a good candidate to have it fire by "itself". 

11 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Have him PM me. I'll buy it off of him. 

I certainly don't suggest it but the 270 will chamber in the -06. the shoulder dimensions are the same and while the 270 is a touch longer the outside case neck dimension is only .308. Does that .308 sound familiar? yup, the bore of the -06. So the neck of the 270 will fit down the bore of the -06 to allow for the extra length. BUT AGAIN--- NOT SUGGESTING IT

• Like 1

In hunter education courses, it's taught, to NEVER try to load a round, that is not designed for that firearm. So I find it outlandish, that on a hunting forum, someone would would post of loading a 270 into a 30-06! C'mon man....

• Like 6

I sent my Remington 700 to ilion. It was no big deal you send it through ups no ffl needed they changed out the part. They even replaced the bolt only cost me shipping. It did discharge on its own twice in the ten years I owned it both time the gun was hot and on the bench. 

Unfortunately, my Remington 700 30-06 was part of the recall. My .243 was not.

The good news is that the turn around was only 3 weeks and they replaced the trigger.

The bad news is I have to get the scope back on & dial it in...

Anyway - it was worth the aggravation because it's a great rifle and better to be safe than sorry...... 

If you have a 700, there are two ways to know if your trigger is good,  1) if the trigger has groove on it (on the face of the trigger where your finger touches it) or 2) if the trigger is smooth but has a tiny punch mark on the bolt release, which is that little tab right in front of  and above the trigger. Both my 700's are old and fall into the recall...

I'm sure I have posted on this in the past and certainly my dislike for remingtons is no secret.

I can say from FIRST hand experience that this trigger issue IS not a joke, a could be problem, a just in case recall... I was on hand when a remington 700 .243 discharged when the safety was released so that the gun could be unloaded!  After calming down after flipping out on my buddy for being so careless (thank god the muzzle was pointed in a safe direction) he said I never touched  the trigger. I took the gun emptied it, reloaded 1 shell in the chamber placed the safety on and with the muzzle pointed into a dirt bank I pushed the safety forward and the gun discharged!

I told Frank that gun goes back to camp and it does not come back to camp until I see a repair receipt for it.  a few months later I see a recall notice in outdoor life (late 90's early 2000's)  Frank called remington and they said "your serial number does not fall in the recall range."  I could not believe it so I called them, they told me the same exact thing! After explaining that they need to look at widening their range for the recall as its obvious this 700 is doing exactly what your recall states.  The refused to address it and simply told me that if I felt there was a issue with my firearm to take it to a gunsmith.

Needless to say there were some statements made by me that their failure to further investigate could potentially open themselves to a massive liability case, and not that they really care but I will NEVER purchase another remington product whether a firearm, ammo, clothing, nothing EVER! If you will not address an absolutely potentially deadly KNOWN issue with one of your firearms I have no use for you!  

They said sorry you feel that way and hung up, and to this day I have not bought a single remington product nor will I ! 

10 hours ago, grampy said:

In hunter education courses, it's taught, to NEVER try to load a round, that is not designed for that firearm. So I find it outlandish, that on a hunting forum, someone would would post of loading a 270 into a 30-06! C'mon man....

all i can say is consider the source! 

hopefully someone with little experience searching for info that happens upon this thread reads ALL the replies so they see that under NO circumstances do you try to load and fire ammo that is not a direct fit for that firearm! 

actually I would say that his post should be removed as it could lead to a deadly situation!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, reeltime said:

I can say from FIRST hand experience that this trigger issue IS not a joke, a could be problem, a just in case recall... I was on hand when a remington 700 .243 discharged when the safety was released so that the gun could be unloaded!  

Any model 700 made since the early 80's does not need the safety to be moved to the fire position to open the bolt.  Just want to point this out. For the ones made before then you did need to put it in the fire position.