Remington 700 recall..

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Any model 700 made since the early 80's does not need the safety to be moved to the fire position to open the bolt.  Just want to point this out. For the ones made before then you did need to put it in the fire position.

dont know the year of the gun but i do know that this particular gun you did have to push the safety off to open the bolt,,,,which IMHO is an issue in and of itself.

Remington is liable for some innocent people dying. All for profit. they have been pushing under the carpet for years. They did their own testing and said that there was nothing wrong with the model 700. That's a bunch of crap. I would never own any 700, I have known about this for a long time. send it back for a rebuild if you have one.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, ny hunter said:

I have never you fire a 270 out of a 30-06 I don't think it is possible....

Yes, it IS possible to chamber and fire a .270 Win in a 30-06..Back when the .270 was introduced ( around 1925, I think)  It wasn't considered necessary to " IDIOT PROOF " products for liability purposes.. However when the .280 Rem was introduced by Remington to compete with Winchester's .270, the shoulder was intentionally moved ahead a few thousandths so that it could not be chambered in the similar sized .270 OR a 30-06...

The .270 case is a "necked-down" 30/06.  If you fire one in a 30/06, you will "fire-form" the case back to a 30/06.  It could then be trimmed and loaded with a 30 cal bullet.  There is no safety risk because the .270 case is completely supported by the 30/06 chamber.  Accuracy will be terrible, because the bullet is not in contact with the rifling.  Velocity will be down a bit because of the pressure loss around the bullet.  The rifle will not be harmed.  A quick internet search will show how this has been done (mistakenly) many times without harm (other than missed animals or targets).  

If I were charged by a hungry bear and had no 30/06 ammo, but did have a .270, I would try that before using the rifle as a club.   If this were the other way around, the guy with the .270 becomes bear poop because the 30/06 bullet will not chamber in the 270.

I'm not trying to start any arguments with anyone about this topic, however, i disagree with the whole situation. One occurrence was where two young boys were home alone arguing with each other when one of the boys pulled out his 700 and aimed it at his brother when it "accidentally" discharged. Is it a sad occurrence? YES, but where is the proof that it accidentally went off? There is none, and if i remember correctly, the news said that the rifle was later inspected and deemed to be in perfect working order. Of course the family doesn't want to accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, their son did in fact shoot their other child. Maybe if the kids were taught proper gun safety the accident would have never happened. I do feel sorry for the families loss, but in no way do i believe it was the guns fault. 

• Like 1