Rage Hypodermic Fail

pistolp71

Anybody have any issues with Rage Hypodermic broadheads failing? I had 2. First was buck at 20 yards broadside, perfect shot, blades opened and broke inside and came out like a field tip. Killed him, but way too long and obviously blades shouldnt have broke, didnt touch shoulder. Second was another buck, 23 yards broadside, shot behind shoulder, no penetration,assuming blades broke again, arrow broke off in him. Hardly any blood trail. Just found him yesterday in a lake after 4 months. After seeing the shot on him, right behind the shoulder I'm sure if it was a fixed blade, its a pass through and quick recovery. After 27 years of using fixed blades, I had a friend talk me into trying them. Never again. Just curious if anybody else had an issue.

I have used fixed all my life but back in 09' i decided to try a two blade rage on a buck at 27yds. In flight one of the blades deployed and it nose dove and hit him in the hoof. Never again have I used one but I was thinking of giving them another try this year but scenarios like yours are what make me hesitant.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

8 hours ago, pistolp71 said:

Anybody have any issues with Rage Hypodermic broadheads failing? I had 2. First was buck at 20 yards broadside, perfect shot, blades opened and broke inside and came out like a field tip. Killed him, but way too long and obviously blades shouldnt have broke, didnt touch shoulder. Second was another buck, 23 yards broadside, shot behind shoulder, no penetration,assuming blades broke again, arrow broke off in him. Hardly any blood trail. Just found him yesterday in a lake after 4 months. After seeing the shot on him, right behind the shoulder I'm sure if it was a fixed blade, its a pass through and quick recovery. After 27 years of using fixed blades, I had a friend talk me into trying them. Never again. Just curious if anybody else had an issue.

Could be the poundage you shoot that's giving you the problem with those heads

• Like 1

I know you do need some good KE to get the blades to deploy.  What poundage are you shooting, draw length?  Ever weight your arrows and with speed find the KE?  Like stated above it does need a bit extra to deploy the blades and this does result in slight lose of KE due to blade deployment.  Supposedly...

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Seems like there's plenty of guys that have great success with these. A friend of mine usually kills 6-7 deer with them each year and has been for awhile.  He loves them.....

(farm tags)

Same here, have friends that love them. That's why I gave them a try. For me personally, big mistake.

Here's a couple of pics, just in case you guys think I'm crazy. First 2 are the first buck and shows the field tip sized exit and broken broadhead, second two are of the second buck showing the shot and how it opened, and the rack that I should have been able to recover that morning. Not 4 months later and had to walk out in a freezing lake yesterday to get.

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG

33 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have killed a bunch of deer with them and never had an issue.  Every deer was a quick death with absurd holes.  Could be a poundage issue as my compound is 82lbs.  That said, if you have had problems, shoot what you have confidence in.

Yup,agreed, completely lost confidence in these. I literally wouldn't use them again if someone paid me. Started second guessing myself on the shot placement until I found him yesterday.

11 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Looks like a good shot, crazy!  How far was the lake from the shot and how far where you able to track it?  I understand being upset he is a really nice buck!  Shame.

The lake wasn't that far, but he wasn't there when I looked for days and probably miles after the shot. I tracked him for about 150 yards on a light blood trail, found a spot where he likely bedded and was probably bumped by us. It was on a hill near a very thick part of the woods. After that I figured after being bumped, he went into the thick section, we backed out and I came back the next morning pretty confident he would be dead in there somewhere. After walking and mostly crawling on my hands and knees for hours and searching the next 3 days. Nothing. Fast forward to yesterday, go to take my treestand down and shed hunt and look again for the buck, I look out in the lake and see something partially floating, first thought was maybe a tire. Take a closer look and can see its a deer but couldn't see the head. Couldn't help but to wonder if it was him,. Proceeded to take off some clothes and walk out there in that freezing water and sure enough it was.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

c5c5615f51e731083712d5dc129e033f.jpg
Same deer from my stand litterally fell over I gotta think poundage or possibly faulty or misused clips could be to blame. The broken blade could happen to any blade the right torque on it will snap those hardened blades pretty quickly

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

No clips on hypodermics, just shock collar. Those blades should not have broken off like that on a broadside shot not hitting bone.

• Like 1

No clips on hypodermics, just shock collar. Those blades should not have broken off like that on a broadside shot not hitting bone.

Yea I couldn't remember what they called them. Those collars can be a pita and I was actually using them wrong until I saw a post on here about using them. And that arrow didn't pass through?

18 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yea I couldn't remember what they called them. Those collars can be a pita and I was actually using them wrong until I saw a post on here about using them. And that arrow didn't pass through?

Nope, the arrow broke off when he ran but judging by how much was sticking out, it didn't penetrate far at all.

Only other thing I could think of was if you have those quick spin fletchings.  They have a pretty sharp angle and make the arrow really spin but at 20 yards plus I would think the spin is just really getting started.  That heavy spin might have an adverse affect on the blades as they enter spinning so fast that once they deploy the side presser on the blade is too much and causes a brake?  Just a theory but if you shoot standard fletching at minimal angle offset this would have little effect at short distance as the arrow is just starting its spin at 20 yards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Only other thing I could think of was if you have those quick spin fletchings.  They have a pretty sharp angle and make the arrow really spin but at 20 yards plus I would think the spin is just really getting started.  That heavy spin might have an adverse affect on the blades as they enter spinning so fast that once they deploy the side presser on the blade is too much and causes a brake?  Just a theory but if you shoot standard fletching at minimal angle offset this would have little effect at short distance as the arrow is just starting its spin at 20 yards.

Hmm, good thinking. I don't use quickspin but I fletch my own with blazer 2 inch at a helical, forgot the degree, would have to check.

• Like 1

Nope, the arrow broke off when he ran but judging by how much was sticking out, it didn't penetrate far at all.

I don't understand how that could happen without hitting bone. What poundage are you shooting. I mean a field tip will pass through without hitting bone. Doesn't make sence to me. I don't blame you for being unhappy with the results and I would probably not be using them again either if I had that experience but seems to me like there's something else that caused the problem.

I lost a buck with a xbow 2 years ago with fixed blade rage on it behind the shoulder shot and only got 6 or 7 in of penetration. I believe that 1 the shot was on the further side (35 yards) and by the time the arrow connected it had lost alot of speed and 2 I must have connected with a rib on entrance. Bled forever and looked for days still have not come across him. And he walked away like nothing happened so could clearly see the arrow sticking out. Was crazy.

And then again look at Papist buck this year if I remember right (I can't remember for sure) he put a perfect shot on that buck and still ended up going way further than should and caused him to find a few days later. They do crazy things durring bow season when pumped up on gogo juice.

That shot on the deer in pics with even a few inches of penetration should have killed that deer relatively quickly. Crazy stuff happens in the woods

• Like 1

I've killed dozens with mechs including the Chinese rage KOs. My setup is pretty typical,
60lbs, 430ish grain arrows. I treat every head as one and done so them breaking while not ideal does not concern me.

Having said that I don't blame you for switching, once something fails you, swap it out of your setup. Heck of a buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1