Gander Mountain Files for Bankruptcy

Elmo

That was released awhile back. Other day calling location nearby Me: I'm looking for Winchester XR turkey loads in 20 gauge. Could you please check to see if you have them. Clerk on phone ; I'm too busy to look. Cabela's had to bury this location as their 10 minutes apart. Sad thing is they just remodeled the whole store and tripled amount of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im not suprised the one in middletown was so nice years a go with the mounts it has been down hill for a while so expensive went around the corner to dicks and the service went the same way horrible i seen where i live sports authority went under too they had i dont care atitude there too dicks took them over by me

The one by me is 10 minutes  away and EVERYTHING is over priced in there. I've only gotten one deal there. I wore my Cabela's ball cap and the manager saw it and commented that I needed a new hat. I said no I like the one I have. He said no, you need a new hat, so go pick one out and I'll sell it to you for $5. I picked one out and it cost me $4.99 with tax. 

This store flooded in 06 and closed, then again in 2011. Then it was remodeled and caught on fire. It was closed more than it was open and they reopened a few years ago as a superstore for firearms. They boast to have over 5000 in stock. Local news said this store isn't closing even though there is the bankruptcy story. 

What I've been reading on other forums  guys across the  county  say their is prices are high and their customer service is sub par .

A guy on the job works the gun counter at the GM here . He says in anticipation of Hilary winning they bought 50 million worth of guns largely on credit as well . Who knows how true that is .

It's too bad. I still go to the one in henrietta, but I bet field & stream is crushing it. When you enter F&S there is a hearth there and a nice atmosphere. When you enter the henrietta store the first display you see is for some cheap crap plastic guns they grabbed off a random shipping container from china (i.e. more fitting in a dollar store). I do still buy stuff from them though. Victor will have a bass pro soon, too. I also wonder where gander fits in.

I'm not really surprised by them going broke. They have a lot of store fronts that must make for a lot of overheard and no where near the amount of sales cabelas or bass pro can do. I shop there when I'm close by but I never make a special trip for gander. Their prices for their "guide gear" is on par with cabelas branded stuff but the quality isn't even close to as good as cabelas.

Gander was  great store for a year or two but then it just got worse and worse. Nothing you want and everything you don't need. They would remodel their store every year and fire a couple of employees. They closed the shooting range upstairs. Now two people can shoot at a time at 14 yards, and they want you to pay for it . I argued it with them and left without paying... first shots to sight in crossbow,-- Not going back.

Ok, having never had any experience with bankruptcy, I have to ask. What does this really have to do with the company's future? Does this mean they are out of business and all stores will be closing? Is it just a debt forgiveness ploy so that they can re-organize and make some sort of come-back? What are the likely options and results for the company and their stores?

Ok, having never had any experience with bankruptcy, I have to ask. What does this really have to do with the company's future? Does this mean they are out of business and all stores will be closing? Is it just a debt forgiveness ploy so that they can re-organize and make some sort of come-back? What are the likely options and results for the company and their stores?

It's basically a get out of jail free card that big companies can play. They are closing 30 something stores across the country but that's about it. They are supposedly going to remain in business and not much will change or happen other than closing select under performing stores in different states.

Their debt will be washed off the books so they can basically start fresh. Restructure some things and try again. I kinda doubt they will ever become as profitable as they hope, and should probably downsize much more than they plan on. Store fronts make for a lot of over head that they obviously can't handle. If they are hoping that by just closing some stores that all their problems will be answered, I think someone in that corporate board room is lying to themselves and selling a fairy tale to the rest.

The biggest reason why business file chapter 11 is to get the creditors off their back. Creditors cannot call in their loans, thus allowing a business to reorganize and restructure their cash flow.

Gander, very well could come out of this with flying colors.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

On 3/14/2017 at 6:07 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

That was released awhile back. Other day calling location nearby Me: I'm looking for Winchester XR turkey loads in 20 gauge. Could you please check to see if you have them. Clerk on phone ; I'm too busy to look. Cabela's had to bury this location as their 10 minutes apart. Sad thing is they just remodeled the whole store and tripled amount of guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called about live bait one time and the guy says we dont have any. I said when will you have it and he goes alright just come in we have it. I got there and asked why he said they didnt have any at first and he says "I HAVE TO WALK ACROSS THE ENTIRE STORE TO GET IT AND IM BUSY!". Alrighty then...

On 3/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, tommyc50 said:

im not suprised the one in middletown was so nice years a go with the mounts it has been down hill for a while so expensive went around the corner to dicks and the service went the same way horrible i seen where i live sports authority went under too they had i dont care atitude there too dicks took them over by me

These stores are the economic canary's  in the coal mine. Gonna get a lot worse

• 1 month later...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/camping-world-buys-out-gander-mountain?src=SOC&dom=fb

Well it looks like gander is pretty much done for. Sounds like campers world is going to keep some stores open but change up inventory. If anyone's got gift cards or points to burn up ya better do it now if your looking to use it on guns or hunting stuff