Where to pattern a shotgun in lower NYS?

jmark

It's kind of ridiculous.  Having grown up in NC, I just can't believe how insane this state is.  All the ranges around here that even allow shotguns at all, limit you to slugs.  The only place I know of that doesn't is Blue Mountain, and that's only on the skeet range.  Anyone know anywhere in the Westchester/Putnam/Rockland areas where I could pattern a shotgun?  I'd even drive to Dutchess or Orange if I have to.  I suspect there may be places out in Suffolk, but I try to avoid the bridges... but open to suggestions.  Help?  Taking my son out for Spring Youth Turkey Weekend, and need to try out a new gun.  

Blue Mountain sportsman center. Call them and ask the specific times they are doing it. When I went I had one on one help and in 2 (second one was just to be sure) shots I was dialed in. Ill be going up in like 2 1/2 -4 weeks to get it sighted in and place my ground blind up. 

14 minutes ago, jmark said:

Thanks, guys.  I will definitely check with Blue Mountain, we will probably be up there next week.  The folks that work there are great.  Sounds promising.  

Be sure to call them and ask when they do it. I don't remember when they start. I might call them my self to find out actually.

You're in the wrong part of the state....I have three gun clubs within a 10 minute drive...

Or you could go to most any state land ( lots of that around) and just set up a target and shoot,  or stop and ask a farmer if you could do it in his back 40..

Of course, I live about 5 hours northwest of NYC...<<grin>>....Good luck...Hope you find a place..

Anywhere you can legally hunt with a shotgun, you should be able to go out, set up a target, and pattern it (barring any areas that specifically prohibit target shooting).

I can't speak for downstate, but upstate and western NY are relatively liberal with target shooting and what not.  NY state land, by default, is open to target shooting.  There are certain rules to be aware of and certain areas do specifically prohibit target shooting (usually with signage or bulletins).  

Don't go to Sterling Forest to sight in/pattern  Firearms are between limited dates (by permit only) and no target shooting allowed there...period.

Possibly can at Stewart if you can find a spot to set up, It is also used by hikers and mountain-bikers, so you have to be very careful where you set up. (There is a range there at Stewart but is Police only, and you know when it is in use very quickly).

I know of another parcel in Orange County that it can be done at, but unless you know where it is exactly, it is easy to miss. It is currently snowed in and will be very muddy and rutty to get in there.  Unless have an SUV/truck with decent clearance, I would not go there.

Blue Mountain is probably your safest bet this time of year.

Or call Davis Sporting Goods - Goshen location.  There is a range there, just not sure about patterning at the range.

Thanks.  I just called Blue Mountain.  According to the very nice woman I spoke with (my experience is that everyone who works there is helpful and pleasant), they have a "patterning board" down by the skeet range.  And you can pattern a shotgun any day/hour that they are open, you just have to check with the RSO.  She also said it's ok to bring your own paper targets to attach.  So I guess we'll be taking a drive up there soon.  Will report back, but it sounds like this is a good (almost the only) option in our immediate area.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmark said:

Thanks.  I just called Blue Mountain.  According to the very nice woman I spoke with (my experience is that everyone who works there is helpful and pleasant), they have a "patterning board" down by the skeet range.  And you can pattern a shotgun any day/hour that they are open, you just have to check with the RSO.  She also said it's ok to bring your own paper targets to attach.  So I guess we'll be taking a drive up there soon.  Will report back, but it sounds like this is a good (almost the only) option in our immediate area.  

When I did it, they sent me and everyone else to the pistol range section where they train police. Its a really great place and take safety very serious. A lot of people are turned off by this, but in my opinion id rather be safe. Ill be headed up there soon as well. 

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I give you guys a lot of credit that have to go through all of this just to pattern a shotgun! If I couldn't shoot in my backyard I would most likely just fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it sucks to drive 40 min just to take 2 shots and be patterned. But better to be patterned than go out in the woods with out it. 

jmark,

what gun is your son going to be shooting ?  Have a few different loads to try ?

In sighting it in shoot some cheaper field loads to get it close to where it should be. Let him do most of the shooting getting a feel for the gun and the process of the actually sighting in. .  Then maybe shoot the more potent turkey loads yourself . No need for the little guy to get flinchy on a bird worrying about the kick. He won't feel shooting the stout load on a bird but paper he will. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

jmark,

what gun is your son going to be shooting ?  Have a few different loads to try ?

In sighting it in shoot some cheaper field loads to get it close to where it should be. Let him do most of the shooting getting a feel for the gun and the process of the actually sighting in. .  Then maybe shoot the more potent turkey loads yourself . No need for the little guy to get flinchy on a bird worrying about the kick. He won't feel shooting the stout load on a bird but paper he will. Just my opinion.

Some good advice right there! Thats exactly what I do with the youngsters. 

Thanks for the advice, guys.  Gun will most likely be Remington 870, 26 inch barrel (new one).  I'll probably pick up a turkey choke for it, although I believe it's full as is.  

The kid's not all that small - he's taller than me at 5'7"+... actually, I should go check, he grows about an inch an hour.  He's only 12, though.  I should probably have another look at the mailman, no one in my family was ever this tall at that age.  He's lanky, though.  But has been ok shooting 30-06, for example.  I'll start him out with some light loads at the range.  I think he'll be ok.  (Me, I'm not so sure...)

As for fishing, yeah, we do that, too.  In the summer. :)

jmark