Pro Hunting Show Fail

CanastotaCamo

Sooo.... Being in withdrawal from archery season, I downloaded the Hunt Channel for my Roku Player. I try to watch videos that aren't on big game celebrity shows on fenced in ranches, so I look for smaller local productions. I saw a show within the channel called 704 Outdoors in NC. Seemed good to give a chance. Within minutes of the show starting they were shooting does over feeders. I immediately turned it off and 2 thoughts come to mind. Could I morally hunt that way even if it were legalized in areas I hunt. And, how can someone ever have a tv show and/or call themselves professional hunters when you are shooting deer over a bait pile???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sooo.... Being in withdrawal from archery season, I downloaded the Hunt Channel for my Roku Player. I try to watch videos that aren't on big game celebrity shows on fenced in ranches, so I look for smaller local productions. I saw a show within the channel called 704 Outdoors in NC. Seemed good to give a chance. Within minutes of the show starting they were shooting does over feeders. I immediately turned it off and 2 thoughts come to mind. Could I morally hunt that way even if it were legalized in areas I hunt. And, how can someone ever have a tv show and/or call themselves professional hunters when you are shooting deer over a bait pile???

What about Killing a deer over a 1/8 acre of brassica?

What about killing a deer while hiding in a treestand?

What about pretending to be a doe and calling in a deer?

What about running deer with dogs?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

What about Killing a deer over a 1/8 acre of brassica?

What about killing a deer while hiding in a treestand?

What about pretending to be a doe and calling in a deer?

What about running deer with dogs?

What about Skittles from Halloween falling out of my waders in the swamp?

• Like 3

I won't get into the moral judgment of how people shoot deer legally, but I would say that is a pretty boring show to watch.  Without ratings, not sure how it would survive TV.  I sure as heck wouldn't sponsor it as a business owner, or watch it as a hunter.

Sadly, you don't have to go all the way to NC to find that garbage, it happens right here in NYS as well.

If it was legal here, the vast majority of guys on here would do it. They might come on here and blast me and say they wouldnt, but they would.

Would I? Absolutely, like mineral blocks, etc for trail cam pics, but bait piles and feeders for hunting purposes are too expensive to keep filled for me. I get anxiety shelling out for fertilizer and seed for food plots every year lol.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If it was legal here, the vast majority of guys on here would do it. They might come on here and blast me and say they wouldnt, but they would.

Would I? Absolutely, like mineral blocks, etc for trail cam pics, but bait piles and feeders for hunting purposes are too expensive to keep filled for me. I get anxiety shelling out for fertilizer and seed for food plots every year lol.

It would be interesting to see, what critters would show up on my cams, if I could have a big pile of corn, in front of them! And I do agree with you. If it were legal, many would have no problem with baiting. And I would have no problem with it, "if" it were legal. But it's been ingrained in me for so long that it's "wrong" or "unethical", that I'm not sure I could actually do it myself. I'm being completely honest here. 

• Like 1

Baiting makes sense to control population or if you're harvesting purely for food, but at some point it turns from hunting into simply deer farming. 

Yea, it's like the guys upstate who hunt big food plots or corn fields and then on top of that hide in a treestand. Can't get much easier than that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, it's like the guys upstate who hunt big food plots or corn fields and then on top of that hide in a treestand. Can't get much easier than that.

I admit to hunting over food plots. And I suppose looking at the BIG picture it could be considered baiting.  But is it really? With a food plot we try to keep deer in "the area". With baiting it seems as if you try to bring them to "a spot".  I've given this some thought many times. And I guess it all boils down to plots being legal. Could using fertilizer spikes on up and coming oak and apple trees be considered baiting? Cause I do that too.

I could never hunt over a feeder or a bait pile for deer in NYS. If I was on a guided hunt out of state where it's legal, I would! I paid to harvest game, so by any means necessary. That's just my personal opinion, and I pass no judgment on anyone who did if it was legal here. If it's legal, do what you want to do.

As for corn fields in upstate? Um, we have a lot farms once you venture north beyond NYC. Even out in WNY. So, yes, many people hunt farm land when owned or given permission to do so.Nothing wrong with that either.

As for food plots, no law against it, so if yo have the land to plant, the equipment to get it planted, then go for it. I do think large food plots are sort of cheating. If I was ever in the financial way to buy a large parcel of land, I would never cut down sections of forest to plant a food plot. I may clear underbrush and toss out some throw and grow though.

Just my thoughts on this one.

43 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Steve Rinella relayed a story, I think on one of his podcasts about lion hunting with dogs.  In the story he was hunting deer with an acquaintance from what he described as a very cush and comfortable tree stand.  It was heated, with lighting, rolling chairs and windows that were perfectly set up to shoot down pre-established shooting lanes containing food plots.  It sounded more like a treehouse than a stand honestly.  Rinella mentioned to his acquaintance how he had recently gone lion hunting with a houndsmen; his acquaintance replied that he didn't see the challenge (I'm paraphrasing here) in that type of hunting, literally as he was rolling around on his chair to check for deer at his different shooting stations.   I thought it was funny, but Rinella's point I believe was to show that the idea of "fair chase" and "challenge" is often times subjective and varies from one hunter to the next.

I'll tree-stand hunt over food plots or farmlands.  It's not my favorite way to hunt, but I'll do it, especially if I'm looking to add some extra meat to the freezer.  I personally don't care if others use that as their primary method of hunting and I don't care how extravagant their setup's get.  I will say it is a little corny the way some hunting shows go after high-fence trophy animals or animals that have been artificially fed and prepped over successive years and then display those animals as if they are these reclusive, monster, once-in-a-lifetime catches.  I think that is a bit canned and fake, purely from a TV standpoint, which is why I don't like many of the hunting shows I see on TV.

Edited by Padre86
  • Like 4

I admit to hunting over food plots. And I suppose looking at the BIG picture it could be considered baiting.  But is it really? With a food plot we try to keep deer in "the area". With baiting it seems as if you try to bring them to "a spot".  I've given this some thought many times. And I guess it all boils down to plots being legal. Could using fertilizer spikes on up and coming oak and apple trees be considered baiting? Cause I do that too.

But if baiting was legal I would be trying to keep the deer in the area too. I would be using many many big Texas style feeders to outdo my neighbors just like how people plant food plots to outdo their neighbors.

• Like 2

With a well executed plan and an ethical group of hunters, running deer with dogs is probably the most exciting style of gun hunting for deer I can imagine.

The sounds of walkers or another sporting dog hot on a deer's trail piercing the fall morning and the camaraderie that comes with that style of hunting is simply something many of us high-brow northerners will simply never get to experience. What an absolute shame.

• Like 5

Many states allow it and if I'm in that state I most likely would. Here I would never consider it. As for hunting over a food plot.. Deer can enter and exit and feed anywhere in that field..usually out of range.. On a small kill plot your odds increase but they can be wiped out before you even hunt them.. Bait is set out by a timer is different than a bait pile as now are you not only picking the spot but the time as well... 

I've lost all interest in all hunting show as none show reality anymore.. Extremely low pressure areas or private ranches seem to have become the norm..

• Like 1

I couldn't hunt deer or bear over bait or hunt them with dogs. I don't even know if I would shoot a yote after being run to exhaustion by dogs.

And I'm not a big fan of hunting directly over food plots either. In my opinion foot plots are areas meant to help deer survive the hard months and a place for them to want to visit. If I ever own land I would put them in and try and hunt out side them and catch them comming and going not walking around eating. I've never hunted over or around them so haven't had to cross that temptation tho.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do agree watching a "pro" hunter shoot them over bait is funny at least to me but in those states or area it is legal.  On Deer and Deer Hunting they had an episode where Dan Schmidt had such bad buck fever the camera guy had to tell him to relax and take a deep breath.  I remember the buck was inside a low feeder fence and all I could think was SHOOT HIM NOW!  lol  He had to compose himself before he could take the shot outside the 3 ft fence.  Did not bother me that they baited in this spot, I think it was Texas.  If NY was allowed to feed the deer I believe many would.  Think about having a population of wild deer that come everyday and you hand feed some of them.  In the harsh winters we get many hunters could help sustain the herd in the worst of times.  Probably why the state does not allow feeding, it would help the population too much and the state wants less not more.

I think that if the show is educational or entertaining it is worth watching. 

This is a show I watched a few seasons, good bunch of regular guys with some funny episodes showing how things can go wrong.

This is one of those times.

I am thankful that bait is not legal in NY.  I am also thankful that foodplots are legal.   Without them, it would be very difficult keeping huntable populations of deer, on our farms, during the daylight hours of hunting season.  I hunt mostly for the meat, and the foodplots are a very cost-effective way to put meat in the freezer.  If bait were legal, I might get lazy and try it, loosing some of that year-round fun that foodplots provide. 

Watching the soil roll off the plow in the spring, or the corn pop up in neat rows in the early summer is cool.  Trapping and keeping the coons under control as it starts to ripen is fun.  Watching a heavy-bodied, 2.5 year old buck step out from fully ripened and dried corn plot, and burring an arrow behind his shoulder, is even cooler.

I must admit that hunting deer in the Adirondack mountain woodlands is better yet.  The last few years, almost half of my hunting has been there.   What that scenery and solitude adds to the whole experience, makes every deer up there worth about 10 times what those at home are to me.            

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CanastotaCamo said:

You an download growing deer tv, I would highly recommend. If you have Netflix look for meat eater too!

1 hour ago, phade said:

With a well executed plan and an ethical group of hunters, running deer with dogs is probably the most exciting style of gun hunting for deer I can imagine.

The sounds of walkers or another sporting dog hot on a deer's trail piercing the fall morning and the camaraderie that comes with that style of hunting is simply something many of us high-brow northerners will simply never get to experience. What an absolute shame.

I've done this when I lived in South Carolina, and loved it! Very happy I got to experience it a number of times. Actually,  I'm considering an invitation from friends and family to go back down, for a hunt this year. Perhaps for a velvet buck. 

This is going to be fun! Who said baiting is illegal in NY it’s not as long as you plant it and don’t pile it. If you plant a ½ acre of beets that’s habitat improvement and you can hunt over them. But if you dig up that same ½ acre of beets and put them in piles and hunt over them, that’s baiting. Look at the definition of what a food plot is and use for, then look at NY hunting regulations the definition of baiting they are basically the same.

HAVE FUN

• Like 3