Getting the itch

doebuck1234

I am in the Adirondacks and early season look great until the blizzard. 

We need the water and haven't had snowfall in the last few years like this. It will definitely retard very early trout season access in the mountains.

I have the "itch" also and my fly boxes are filled and ready to get going....

Best of luck this season....

• Like 1

I'd like to get out for some panfish soon, not sure about trout but maybe.   I have a little tributary to the Cattaraugus Creek I need to fish again just for the shear beauty of it.  Many years ago I fished it and it just seems like I've been to busy for the past 20 years to find the time.  :(

• Like 5

Since my trip to Orvis, a couple weeks ago, I've had the itch too. I like to small stream fish for natives.  But with the recent snowfall, my first outing will most likely be on farm ponds. Or the north end of Thompsons lake, below, or across from the nature center, for browns or rainbows. By mid April, the conditions should improve considerably, for my small stream adventures. 

• Like 3

I fished the headwaters of the Cohocton twice back during the warm spell.....Caught 5 trout each time, a total of 6 browns and 4 brookies... Nice to be back on the stream... With this snow, it will be a few days before I go again..

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Hey did the DEC do a fish shocking this year?

Not sure.if you meant stocking.they usually post it up by county on the dec website but havent seen anything but 2016 reports so far.last year in my area i know of it being a few weeks late of opener

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I'd like to get out for some panfish soon, not sure about trout but maybe.   I have a little tributary to the Cattaraugus Creek I need to fish again just for the shear beauty of it.  Many years ago I fished it and it just seems like I've been to busy for the past 20 years to find the time.  :(

I know the feeling.Seems like a dont get too much time with work etc etc.Either take a day off here n there or try to hit up the creek after work once in a while.During the summer it is more difficult to fish this portion of creek as its the "george bridge" location and its swarming with people.

They did Cold Brook ( Keuka) and Catherine ( Seneca)....Don't know if they have done Naples yet or not...

The general opinion was that the run was well underway and many fish would be spawned and back in the lake prior to the April 1st opener..Probably won't be a banner year on the Fingerlakes rainbow tribs..

4 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

As trout season approaches im starting to get the itch!!Luckily i live across the street from Oatka creek.At laundrymat as i type this and this is my view.May have to take a walk over this afternoon and toss a spoon in!

20170318_084100.jpg

What's the proper pronunciation of that creek's name ?  Is it  OAT-ka  or is it o-AT-ka ?

Looking back at past photos on my phone now im really gettin the itch.neighbor showed me a secret bass pond hes had permission to fish sence he was a kid(50 now)last year.took me out on small ram-x with trolling motor.ponds prob only 4ft deep in most areas.sorry about crooked pics.was deff my biggest LM bass to date.didnt bring scale or tape like a dummy.wasnt sure what to think when he said there was some big bass in this place.guess he wasnt kidding

20160808_101453.jpg

20160808_101438.jpg

• Like 1

Told me if i caught another big fish he was gunna throw me in the water.BOOM.another slob.not as big but fun!
20160808_124644.jpg

A solid 6 lber id say, watching the ice melt and itching myself. Almost all my best bass have been caught late april- may in small-medium ponds. Prespawn for bass whether sm or large is imo the best time,the number of 3 lb bass i catch in may i bet out numbers the rest of the year,

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hopefully the fishing this year will be a little different in small streams and creeks.Used to fish black creek alot growing up and almost every other cast their would be a fish on.seemed like in past few years it declined alot.Was a big write up on oatka creek and the duck problem there has been.didnt catch it when it came out but read through it yesterday.ive gotta say i did see alot of them on the creek last season.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2016/01/25/trout-fishing-off-hungry-ducks-may-reason/79116562/

Im dying.....I started to get my boat ready before the storm.........went to bass pro and picked up some new stuff............respooled all of my reels.....I have more stuff coming from Tacklewarehouse.........I am ready!!

10_23_12MO1.jpg

• Like 3