Getting the itch

doebuck1234

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

Fished today got 11 only a couple big ones. Gotta say wasn't the most pleasant day. To the guy spot jacking on the catt all day.... Leave me alone lol this dude followed me five times!! Right back to my original spot. 

I figure if I followed you long enough you'd feel sorry for me and give me a fish !!....<<grin>>....

Seriously though, the streams that I fish are all blown out and it takes a better fisherman than ME to catch fish under those conditions.  Fortunately, I am retired and can wait until  water levels are somewhat more desirable....Hehehehehe....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a young fellow ( 19)  out this afternoon for his first stream fishing outing...We fished a few of my select spots....

He took a 14" brown, lost another and then landed a beautiful 19" male that weighed 2 lb. 7 oz....

I also caught ( and released) an 18" male, but I was mostly instructing rather than fishing.

• Like 6

On 4/11/2017 at 8:33 PM, Pygmy said:

I took a young fellow ( 19)  out this afternoon for his first stream fishing outing...We fished a few of my select spots....

He took a 14" brown, lost another and then landed a beautiful 19" male that weighed 2 lb. 7 oz....

I also caught ( and released) an 18" male, but I was mostly instructing rather than fishing.

Now those are some nice stream browns for a first outing! Well done on taking a young man out for a guided trout stream adventure, one I'm sure he will never forget. It sounds like you both had a great time and the stream trout fishing seed was planted well!

Were you fishing with worms as usual? and did the water have much color? Are fish of this size common there? I usually fish a small wild trout stream where a 12" is a nice one, but am exploring the Wiscoy this year and hope to land a 15" or better.

Yeah, GM, worms it was...The water was a nice green color, so we did not have to sneak as much as if they were gin clear. 

We were fishing tributaries to a major  ,heavily stocked trout stream...The tribs are not stocked, so the fish we catch there are either wild or possibly holdover stockies that ascended from the main river..

14" to 20" trout are common in these little creeks, which is one reason that I like to fish them..The other reason I like to fish them is because I seldom see another fisherman, and often not even a boot track.  90% of the fishermen prefer to fish the main river where the DEC dumps in thousands of trout..

• Like 1