Vest

Buckmaster7600

As most of you know I hate calling turkeys and haven't done it in years, that being said things are changing. My brother is going to hunt with me this spring and he doesn't have what it takes to run and gun with me so I guess I'm going to call for him. My daughter is 10 and keeps asking about going as well so more than likely we will sit and call as well and my back and hip aren't getting any better so I'm not as mobile as I was not long ago.

I have never worn a turkey vest even back when I called but I can see where they might be helpful. In my research I have found that some have a "kickstand" this is seems like a great idea to me because I rarely sit against a tree and am usually in some bushes or weeds with nothing to sit against.

Does anybody use one of these vests or have any recommendations on what one to get?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017174692/alps-outdoorz-nwtf-grand-slam-turkey-vest this ones seems alright but maybe too bulky?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kensig (?) is supposed to have a pretty highly rated kickstand vest I've heard. Best thing I did was buy my daughter one of those gobbler lounger chairs. I even make her carry it. It's comfy for the kids and they won't get ancy ,uncomfortable and wiggle around. Not going to lie, I grabbed hers a few times and then she gave one to me for Fathers Day. Yes, they'd be cumbersome to run and gun with but ideal for sitting  long term. Vest you're looking at is just a shade under 8 pounds. That's a little heft before loading it up but you also pack much lighter than I when afield.  

Kensig (?) is supposed to have a pretty highly rated kickstand vest I've heard. Best thing I did was buy my daughter one of those gobbler lounger chairs. I even make her carry it. It's comfy for the kids and they won't get ancy ,uncomfortable and wiggle around. Not going to lie, I grabbed hers a few times and then she gave one to me for Fathers Day. Yes, they'd be cumbersome to run and gun with but ideal for sitting  long term. Vest you're looking at is just a shade under 8 pounds. That's a little heft before loading it up but you also pack much lighter than I when afield.  

Thanks, she already has a low chair that she uses for squirrel and deer hunting. A chair for me is out of the question, old habits just die to hard to have it in my hand or hanging off me.

I think you're talking about the tenzing? It looks nice but for 300$ for something I hope to only use a few times a year is a bit much.

I was at cabelas the other day and didn't like the pockets on any of them. Especially the tactical one.

What didn't you like? Too many? There's 2 different "tactical" models. I was looking at the cheaper one. I thought the fold down pouch with the double pot call holder was nice. I like using 2 different pot calls so it looked like the best option for that.

I run and gun a lot and hate carrying stuff in my pockets. Slows me down and makes running awkward plus limits mobility. I'd rather have more pockets on a vest with everything stored in there so my legs are free to move quickly when needed

What didn't you like? Too many? There's 2 different "tactical" models. I was looking at the cheaper one. I thought the fold down pouch with the double pot call holder was nice. I like using 2 different pot calls so it looked like the best option for that.

I run and gun a lot and hate carrying stuff in my pockets. Slows me down and makes running awkward plus limits mobility. I'd rather have more pockets on a vest with everything stored in there so my legs are free to move quickly when needed

The vests fit pretty well but the pockets hung of the front and felt "floppy." I tried everyone they had there and didn't love any of them. I think I'm going to drop the coin on the tenzing and be done, optics planet has free returns if I end up not liking it.

• Like 2

The vests fit pretty well but the pockets hung of the front and felt "floppy." I tried everyone they had there and didn't love any of them. I think I'm going to drop the coin on the tenzing and be done, optics planet has free returns if I end up not liking it.

That tenzing one looks sweet. But damn is that a steep price. Let us know how you like it...I may have to give it more thought!

That tenzing one looks sweet. But damn is that a steep price. Let us know how you like it...I may have to give it more thought!

I will it's on the way. I use a tenzing upland vest for gun season and I love it and the quality is second to none, if the turkey vest is the same quality it should last a long time.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I will it's on the way. I use a tenzing upland best for gun season and I love it and the quality is second to none, if the turkey vest is the same quality it should last a long time.

I  have a tenzing t2200? Its a day pack with a gun/bow sling and even a rain cover built in. Not sure on exact model, but what a quality product.  

Buckmaster,

I just bought this vest a few weeks back. I haven't hunted with it yet but after field testing it in the yard it is great! Very Comfortable and lighter than I expected. You can always remove the chair legs/frame from the vest if you find it to cumbersome. Goodluck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...