About to buy first ML - thoughts?

BizCT

So my Dad informed me that he has been doing research and plans to buy his first ML soon. He has been talking back and forth with someone at muzzle-loaders.com

He is leaning towards the CVA Accura MR 25" barrel model with Leupold 3x9 40mm Ultimate Slam Muzzleloader scope over the V2 model with the 27" barrel.

Further, my Dad said Muzzleloaders.com prices with the $40. FFL transfer fee & $2.00 special shipping charges for what he's looking at totals about $775, which is appox. between $75 to $100 cheaper than Cabelas, Dicks, or Gander Mt. where you have to also pay tax.

What are your guys thoughts?

I know nothing about ML's other than the name T/C and Jim Shockey. I will not be buying one or getting involved with ML's- I'm simply just asking before my Dad makes a purchase.

Thanks.

If he's just looking to hunt the late season with a ML he could spend a whole lot less than that for a scoped ML that will do the job. He's going to sight it in and then fire it a few times a year maybe.

If he's a gun guy and wants a higher end option I get that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First off there is no need for a ffl for a muzzleloader.

That's the muzzleloader I have and I like it. That being said its not 200$ better than a cva wolf. I don't have that scope because I hate the reticle because it's too busy.

He doesn't need an FFL to have a gun shipped from another state (I think Oregon) to NY?

A convicted felon cannot possess a firearm, but CAN hunt with a ML.  I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I've been told by a gun shop owner.

I will need to look this up again BUT...I believe they changed that law so no convicted felon without special circumstance(judge review) is allow to use a blk. powder gun...This I think was changed last or 2 years ago...I'll dbl check.

We bought FIL a Thompson center he loved it...I have a traditions LT break open and love it.... His 1200.00...mine 300.00 both killed deer

Found it..longer than I thought...

http://ocshooters.com/blog/?p=274

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've got the Encore Pro Hunter it's a great rifle but if I started over I'd get a CVA Wolf and have $600 to play with

I have the same (camo and stainless), but buy once cry once.  It was worth it I think.  Very enjoyable to shoot and just fits me well. 

• Like 3

Now Biz. Please explain to me why a self proclaimed Weatherby snob such as yourself would even look at that Muzzleloader? lol

Buddy had a CVA wolf and that one was junk. They replaced it becasue it wouldn't fire every time. The Optima they replaced it with is a nice shooter but falls way short of my Encore once it is stretched past 100 yards. Whatever you settle on make sure the model has a the muzzle over bored for easy bullet starting and  fast follow up shots. You will thank me later. 

And some sort of speed breech is nice to have. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I have the same (camo and stainless), but buy once cry once.  It was worth it I think.  Very enjoyable to shoot and just fits me well. 

I hear you, mines the same stainless/camo and its a nice rifle but when I bought it I also bought a .308 barrel. Ive since sold that so what im left with is a gun that i shoot three times a year and thats if I kill a deer. Maybe the Wolf wasnt a great example but something like the Triumph thats strictly an ML would have been a better gun for me

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hear you, mines the same stainless/camo and its a nice rifle but when I bought it I also bought a .308 barrel. Ive since sold that so what im left with is a gun that i shoot three times a year and thats if I kill a deer. Maybe the Wolf wasnt a great example but something like the Triumph thats strictly an ML would have been a better gun for me

Never even pulled the barrel on mine.  I agree.  The pro hunter xt would have been just fine for a few dollars less.

Yes he can, take a look at knight or TC, you want nice look at a Cooper. If it were me I'd buy a used White. You won't find a muzzloader today that can compare to a White as far as accuracy and ease of use.

Edited by sbuff

59 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Yes he can, take a look at knight or TC, you want nice look at a Cooper. If it were me I'd buy a used White. You won't find a muzzloader today that can compare to a White as far as accuracy and ease of use.

So, basically anything but a CVA

Cva wolf with 3x9 konus scope shooting 250 or 300 grain shockwaves with 100 grain 777. That package is an excellent rifle IMO I use it all rifle season 200 yards all day. Thumb breech for easy removal for cleaning I have had 0 issues.

I bought mine at cabelas paid for it at register and walked out no NICS check or ffl required.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Cva wolf with 3x9 konus scope shooting 250 or 300 grain shockwaves with 100 grain 777. That package is an excellent rifle IMO I use it all rifle season 200 yards all day. Thumb breech for easy removal for cleaning I have had 0 issues.

I bought mine at cabelas paid for it at register and walked out no NICS check or ffl required.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Chalk up another happy CVA guy. The guys who pay twice as much are really bent that they're high dollar rig can't shoot better then a CVA.

• Like 1