About to buy first ML - thoughts?

BizCT

Very good point there.......there's a bit of a learning curve with ML'ing and at some point, Papa Biz will be getting a BTDT t-shirt for xmas after some kind of oops moment with the new rig.
Bizzy.........Does dad have any experience with a ML"er?

This will be his first ML. But he's retired and has been doing research for years. He also reloaded for many years. I have never shot factory ammo out of rifle and never will that's how much him and his Dad made over the years. So he has a lot of gun knowledge in general with respect to all the cleaning and other stuff involved. He takes crazy care of all of his guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It's easy to tailor loads using loose powder and typically better groups are achieved, but pellets can be effective.

Have him be safe and read owners manual upon arrival. Muzzloaders are a blast to shoot but like every firearm caution is needed .

It's easy to tailor loads using loose powder and typically better groups are achieved, but pellets can be effective.
Have him be safe and read owners manual upon arrival. Muzzloaders are a blast to shoot but like every firearm caution is needed .

Yup, thx.

Don't feel obligated to buy an expensive inline.  I've seen plenty of bottom end CVA and traditions do 100 yard cloverleafs.  

I'd buy another t/c omega in stainless steel again, even used. 

However, I enjoy flintlocks and just use them.  My t/c is a loaner gun, or I use it in shotgun only areas.

If you live near PA, you can hunt deer in January for $126 a season with an iron sighted flintlock  I've seen numerous public spots in PA beat ny private land.

Don't feel obligated to buy an expensive inline.  I've seen plenty of bottom end CVA and traditions do 100 yard cloverleafs.  
I'd buy another t/c omega in stainless steel again, even used. 
However, I enjoy flintlocks and just use them.  My t/c is a loaner gun, or I use it in shotgun only areas.
If you live near PA, you can hunt deer in January for $126 a season with an iron sighted flintlock  I've seen numerous public spots in PA beat ny private land.

He made the Purchase yesterday.

So what did he get? I forgot to mention Flintlocks...I bought Mr B  beautiful Cabela's some years ago...They were made I think in Italy

I posted the screenshot of the package

44 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Sure isn't easier to clean!

27 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

Pellets do make life a bit easier....He well have to clean when ever he shoots....Weather it's a few shots or 1or 2 they have to be cleaned after every use do not put that off buddy...

He cleans his shotguns and rifles after everytime he shoots, unless its hunting season. So this will be nothing new for him.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 9:55 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Btw, he is going with "nitride" barrel, whatever that means. Thx again everyone.

helps but really doesn't matter.  before he shoots the gun he should have muzzleloader cleaning supplies and pre-cut cotton patches.  some blk powder substitutes will eat through a barrel like crazy.  I have a T/C Prohunter and have had CVA's.  Fit and finish doesn't make up for the difference in cost.  He's definitely making the right decision by going with a dependable scope.  ML sometimes aren't easy on scopes.  if there's a blatantly noticeable delay from trigger squeeze to the gun going bang then switch primer/powder combination.  modern inlines shouldn't do that.  make sure to not ignore cleaning the breech plug for good accuracy plus get in the barrel just after it were the powder ignited and created a ring of build up if there at all.

If he's shooting pellets he will need to clean every couple shots just to load it, you'll  find out what a crud ring is real quick if not using bh209

His problem, not mine. Once he sights it in, he will only hunt with it during the late ML season (if he had a buck tag left). He doesn't target shoot for fun

28 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Wait !!! There's so much more to argue about !

17 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Lol...I love the way biz ended all future discussion in this thread. It was a awesome exit!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Haha. sometimes you just gotta steamroll everyone.

I can confirm he bought the extra breech plug for Blackhorn 209. He also bought IMR White Hote Pellets & Powerbelt 250 grain bullets.

That's it. Thread closed. LOL