shooting rests

i've been looking at purchasing a rest to sight in my 30-06. what do you folks have experience with? so far i am looking at the Caldwell "rock" front rest with a medium rear bag or perhaps a one piece rest like the Caldwell "stinger". not interested in the lead sled, reading bad things about them. would like to keep it around  100 bucks or so. thanks in advance.

I have a Hart front rest and Protektor rear bag but I know people that use the Caldwell and it is adequate.

That said, if you had a tight budget and a wife/girlfriend/sister/mother/cousin/aunt etc with a sewing maching, you could easily have them sew up a few home made sandbags and be GTG, happily.  All it'd take is 3 for the front and one for the rear......

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

i have the caldwell rock and rock jr. if the bench your shooting off is short sided the legs on the rock might be to long that's why i picked up jr. I use the rock on the bench i made.Ether way the name says it all rock solid.I picked up a protek OR rear bag but never could get used to it.

11 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

That said, if you had a tight budget and a wife/girlfriend/sister/mother/cousin/aunt etc with a sewing maching, you could easily have them sew up a few home made sandbags and be GTG, happily.  All it'd take is 3 for the front and one for the rear......

^^^^^i've sewed up plenty of pants legs to make sand bags works great.

There are many good choices available and priced for everyone's budget. I do a lot of benchrest shooting and the main problem I have always had is the fit of the front rest to the rifle's forestock so I have several different style rests that I use depending on what firearm I am shooting.

A couple of years ago I had a gift card to use and so I purchased a Caldwell Tack Driver shooting bag. It is just a simple heavy large one piece setup that will hold a your firearm rock steady and will fit just about any rifle out there, for a casual shooter just trying to get their rifle sighted in this works great and is priced right. I like it a lot and use it frequently.

2017-03-23_071211.png

• Like 2

If your handy and a diy guy. Google (shooting rest from old car scissor jack) I am going to make a couple.

Please post some pics

I currently use a Hyskor and it works great. Is it on the expensive side, yeah, hut it has lasted me 10 Years and should last for my grandkids

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk