Handgun license question

Hi I have my hunting license and also my shotgun rifle license. I'm going in soon to 1pp to file for my handgun license. Conflicting information on if premise license Alows you to carry while hunting or do you need a special authorization. Thanks again.

I think "premise only" is just that, as absurd as that is….In a lot of Counties, it will spell out right on the permit what it allows. "no restrictions" (which means jut that)" Sportsman"(you can carry while hunting camping etc.) "Work" (you can carry while on your job) and "resident" means you can have one in you home,

• Like 1

IN NYS there are two,types , premise and carry. I don't know one person who applied for premise . 

As far as restrictions placed on carry permits , they are administrative only. 

They carry no,weight in law. If you somehow got caught carrying your gun say out to,dinner , but it was stamped "hunting and target shooting  only" you have not broken any law . The judge who put those silly restrictions however will revoke it .

• Like 2

How would the judge know that you "got caught", you would need to get arrested for him to see the case, no? For what? violating no law... This entire system is upside down. Like it was said million times gun permits should be treated just like driver's license, if you have one you can use it anywhere in the US. OK, rant over...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bkln said:

How would the judge know that you "got caught", you would need to get arrested for him to see the case, no? For what? violating no law... This entire system is upside down. Like it was said million times gun permits should be treated just like driver's license, if you have one you can use it anywhere in the US. OK, rant over...

The cops tell the judge. Say you're eating out and your cover garment rises up and someone calls, you've not broken the law . Or in the case of a friend many years ago, a road rager blocked his exit in parking lot he was with his wife as two guys got out , and each went up to a different door pulling on the handles. They then saw his gun he had placed on his lap and left. THEY called the cops ! See they had been through the system and knew the first person to call is the " victim". Take note of that !

The judge who signed his permit ordered a hearing , and grilled him on if he was on his way target shooting and so on.

Ive responded to many mva's where an injured person wanted to know if he could bring his gun to the hospital , if not what could he do with it ? 

Some people when they get stopped for a moving violation tell the officer that they are armed, they don't want to reach for a wallet and expose the gun. Or the officer asks , " Any  guns in the car ?" You can lie I guess .

i always chuckle at the time after being stopped , my wife opened the glove box where I had placed my Glock ( coming back from Old forge , did not plan on stopping so I'd did not holster it ). I should have yelled ,"she's got a gun !! 

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Does that mean getting approved in one county does not let you carry in other counties?

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

No once you have it your g9od for state except NYC. But if your permit says only at home that's it. If it's a full carry then you can carry anywhere except NYC

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnR34 said:

Hi I have my hunting license and also my shotgun rifle license. I'm going in soon to 1pp to file for my handgun license. Conflicting information on if premise license Alows you to carry while hunting or do you need a special authorization. Thanks again.

Sounds like you are in NYC. Different rules apply there vs the rest of the state.

I don't know for certain, but it is my understanding you are very limited. Friends in NYC with a pistol license claim they are prohibited from going to a range in Nassau or Westchester. They must stay within the city.

Again, it's hearsay based on what I have been told. Even if true, I have no idea how enforcement works. I know Nassau and Suffolk both have a "handbook" that spells out the do's and don'ts. Check NYC to see if they have something similar. Something in writing from the city is your best bet.

if you are just applying for your license, it might be best to leave the question alone for now. Don't make waves and give them an excuse to deny.

Keep in mind that some of the NYC uses may be "law." Unlike other NY counties, NYC gets to make its law on this. In the end, it is little difference between law and administrative restriction. Violation of either can result in loss of your license. Defending yourself from charges is expensive and difficult to win in NYC.

Edited by jrm

Yeah I think I'm gonna go in just for the premise and not make waves. Unfortunately in the 5 boroughs it's borderline impossible for a carry permit unless your former nypd or need it for work which then there are a ton of laws and regulations 

I have an Uncle that lives in Queens and he had a premise permit and we used to go up state and shoot.....I got got pulled over on 17 going a bit fast and told the trooper we had guns in the car he asked where and why..Told him they were in the trunk and he asked about are permits,he looked at them and thanked us for being honest with him and he told me slow it down and we were on our way....

• Like 1

If you have a pistol in NYC you better have an NYC Pistol permit. You can apply for carry, but unless you are a politician, movie star or some VIP you are not getting any carry permit, no way no how. 

I live in NYC & have a pistol permit for premises only. I will take what I can get. I can take my .357 outside my premises only to target shoot or go hunting during gun season.

In order to take your pistol outside the city for hunting, you must get a hunting authorization card from 1 pp. 

As said before, you can't take your pistol during bow season, but my 357 is always at my side.

Good luck with getting your pistol permit in NYC because it is extremely tedious and you best not have any blemishes, not even speeding tickets, because that will cause you problems with getting your pistol. 

Yes - it's a pain the ass to own guns in NYC, but it is what it is. 

Glad to say that I just got another Purchase Authorization to get my second pistol - getting a glock 19.

In NYC you have to get an authorization from NYPD to get a pistol, not rifle.

So for a city dude, living in bleeding heart liberal Hilary country, I got myself a nice stash of weapons and couldn't be happier.

Cheers

22 hours ago, UWShunter said:

If you have a pistol in NYC you better have an NYC Pistol permit. You can apply for carry, but unless you are a politician, movie star or some VIP you are not getting any carry permit, no way no how. 

I live in NYC & have a pistol permit for premises only. I will take what I can get. I can take my .357 outside my premises only to target shoot or go hunting during gun season.

In order to take your pistol outside the city for hunting, you must get a hunting authorization card from 1 pp. 

As said before, you can't take your pistol during bow season, but my 357 is always at my side.

Good luck with getting your pistol permit in NYC because it is extremely tedious and you best not have any blemishes, not even speeding tickets, because that will cause you problems with getting your pistol. 

Yes - it's a pain the ass to own guns in NYC, but it is what it is. 

Glad to say that I just got another Purchase Authorization to get my second pistol - getting a glock 19.

In NYC you have to get an authorization from NYPD to get a pistol, not rifle.

So for a city dude, living in bleeding heart liberal Hilary country, I got myself a nice stash of weapons and couldn't be happier.

Cheers

So are you allowed to take it to a range out in LI or Upstate? I always thought you were allowed to, but now reading this im not sure. Was thinking about applying for a pistol license but now im wondering. 

28 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

So are you allowed to take it to a range out in LI or Upstate? I always thought you were allowed to, but now reading this im not sure. Was thinking about applying for a pistol license but now im wondering. 

With NYC pistol permit - premises only - you can shoot at any gun range in NYC only. That's it. Not LI or Westchester. 

You can take your Pistol hunting during gun season, only if you have a "hunter authorization" card.

I got my HA card in 1 PP after showing them my pistol permit & NY hunting tag for last season. Was very easy to get.

But I've been told that if you try to get HA without the hunting tag, forget about it. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 2