Handgun license question

1 hour ago, UWShunter said:

With NYC pistol permit - premises only - you can shoot at any gun range in NYC only. That's it. Not LI or Westchester. 

You can take your Pistol hunting during gun season, only if you have a "hunter authorization" card.

I got my HA card in 1 PP after showing them my pistol permit & NY hunting tag for last season. Was very easy to get.

But I've been told that if you try to get HA without the hunting tag, forget about it. 

Hope this helps.

That's such BS. I don't understand why they would limit people from shooting in other areas of NY. 

10 minutes ago, UWShunter said:

Yup. It's BS but that's life in the big city! I'm just happy to own guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True we have to deal with such things. I heard we may be able to use an upstate residence to get a pistol license for upstate, so maybe that's the route ill go. 

True we have to deal with such things. I heard we may be able to use an upstate residence to get a pistol license for upstate, so maybe that's the route ill go. 

Be much easier via upstate than going through the NYPD. I don't have that luxury of having a house upstate, but one day I shall!

55 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

If you can find any other information on this, it would be appreciated.

Short version: There was a case about a year ago - Osterweil. He lived in NJ, had a NJ pistol license and owned land in NY. NY does not recognize the NJ license and refused to issue him a non-resident license. He sued and won. The result is NYS must now issue non-resident permits to people with property in NY.

I tried this within NY. I have homes in two counties. My main residence is where I have my license, which is restricted. The county where I have my second home is well known for being very pro-2A and issues unrestricted licenses. Their application clearly states you MUST be a FULL TIME resident in that county to qualify. I looked into getting a license in that county using the Osterweil case. A neighbor is a NJ resident and can apply for an unrestricted non-resident. However, I am limited to the administrative restrictions enforced by my county. A perfect example of how screwed up NYS laws/rules are.

The pistol license people were nice and understood my logic. They were also  very sure the judge would deny my application. That's a big problem because for the rest of eternity I would  have to indicated I was denied. I'm not going to pursue it unless I am sure of a positive outcome.

Depending on the county, they may be more understanding for a NYC license holder, since that is a premise license. If not, a county is generally going to view your license as a NYS license and not be willing to issue a second license.

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That's such BS. I don't understand why they would limit people from shooting in other areas of NY. 

You are right. It makes no sense. I think they do it just to be a-holes.

Pretty sure that NYC restriction is only a few years old. I used to have some friends from the city who would shoot with my on Long Island. Then there was a time when they became nervous about leaving NYC, due to the new rule. Not sure if the rule was new, or if the city just indicated they were planning on enforcing it.

Pretty sure the theory is to make it as difficult as possible to buy/own/use the gun. If you can't go shooting at a range or have to jump through hoops to go hunting, maybe you will give up the hobby altogether. 

You are right. It makes no sense. I think they do it just to be a-holes.
Pretty sure that NYC restriction is only a few years old. I used to have some friends from the city who would shoot with my on Long Island. Then there was a time when they became nervous about leaving NYC, due to the new rule. Not sure if the rule was new, or if the city just indicated they were planning on enforcing it.
Pretty sure the theory is to make it as difficult as possible to buy/own/use the gun. If you can't go shooting at a range or have to jump through hoops to go hunting, maybe you will give up the hobby altogether. 

Yup, NYC makes it tough. But there are ranges in the City & the city is not limited to Manhattan. I say this because many folks forget about Queens, SI, Bx & BK.
Bottom line, you can't take your pistol out of 5 Boros. That's it. Only exception is hunting & u need the Hunter Auth card.

51 minutes ago, UWShunter said:

Yup, NYC makes it tough. But there are ranges in the City & the city is not limited to Manhattan. I say this because many folks forget about Queens, SI, Bx & BK.
Bottom line, you can't take your pistol out of 5 Boros. That's it. Only exception is hunting & u need the Hunter Auth card.

What I don't understand is why some group like the NRA or other NYS or NYC pro-gun group hasn't taken such BS to court to test the constitutionality of such nonsense?  When everyone else can take their stinking pistols from one area of the state to another, or even out of state, why are NYC handgun owners restricted to keeping them ONLY within the 5 boroughs?  You practically can't even take it out of your house for crying out loud without a special pass!  Why would anyone even go thru the process of getting a pistol permit in the city if you are barely allowed to pull it of your safe to clean it?  Makes absolutely NO sense to me that no one has taken this BS to court.  Obviously if no one is to challenge the bastards who run the city, they will keep adding more an more restrictions on gun owners to the point where NO one will be allowed to own anything more deadly than a paperclip.   I realize that there are relatively few gun owners in the city in comparison to the total population, but when more and more places are passing legislation to loosen gun laws, why isn't NYC's feet being put to the fire?   The NRA most especially is supposed to be this great defender of EVERYONE'S 2nd amendment rights, but in my view they have completely dropped the ball with NYC gun owners.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, until Trump's right to carry law goes into effect, you simply have to go through all the BS to own a pistol in NYC and abide by the laws put into effect by liberal, progressive politicians.

Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

The only lobby who can fight NYC's gun laws, our putz mayor & the libs running NYC, is the NRA.

Bottom line, I'd rather go through all the BS to own my guns, than sit on the sidelines without having any weapons.

Many believe that the NRA has given up on NY. Others argue that they provide support for more local groups that fight the fight here. The courts here do not present a favorable environment. Cuomo's "safe" act was pushed through in the dead of night, is flawed in so many ways (not just being unconstitutional), yet it was essentially upheld in court. Licensing restrictions have been challenged in the past and have be upheld by the courts. 

The insane disparity from county to county in licensing requirements, rules, process, cost, etc. is inherently unfair - yet it has stood up to legal challenges.

Seems the only way to fix anything is to get away from the anti-2A state and federal district courts and get SCotUS to rule. Unfortunately, they have denied most recent challenges. With the current court makeup, it is probably not a good idea anyway.

Then again, look at Heller. DC lost. Then re-wrote the law to say the same thing in a different way. These anti-gun locations will fight the courts tooth and nail. Do you really thing NY and/or NYC will stand by and honor national reciprocity? It will take years of court battles and wrongful arrests to actually implement it (if ever passed).

We had a glimmer of hope in the last gubenertorial election... Cuomo could have been defeated. It wasn't so much that he was re-elected... simply no one came out to vote against him. What was it... 20% voter turnout. Forget the NRA - if gun _owners_ in this state simply turned out in any numbers, we could have sent Cuomo packing. Voter apathy.

We all need to keep fighting the fight. It is a difficult road in this state and organizations like the NRA don't want to waste time and money fighting in an environment where the people continue to elect gun-grabbers.

Edited by jrm
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, jrm said:

Many believe that the NRA has given up on NY. Others argue that they provide support for more local groups that fight the fight here. The courts here do not present a favorable environment. Cuomo's "safe" act was pushed through in the dead of night, is flawed in so many ways (not just being unconstitutional), yet it was essentially upheld in court. Licensing restrictions have been challenged in the past and have be upheld by the courts. 

The insane disparity from county to county in licensing requirements, rules, process, cost, etc. is inherently unfair - yet it has stood up to legal challenges.

Seems the only way to fix anything is to get away from the anti-2A state and federal district courts and get SCotUS to rule. Unfortunately, they have denied most recent challenges. With the current court makeup, it is probably not a good idea anyway.

Then again, look at Heller. DC lost. Then re-wrote the law to say the same thing in a different way. These anti-gun locations will fight the courts tooth and nail. Do you really thing NY and/or NYC will stand by and honor national reciprocity? It will take years of court battles and wrongful arrests to actually implement it (if ever passed).

We had a glimmer of hope in the last gubenertorial election... Cuomo could have been defeated. It wasn't so much that he was re-elected... simply no one came out to vote against him. What was it... 20% voter turnout. Forget the NRA - if gun _owners_ in this state simply turned out in any numbers, we could have sent Cuomo packing. Voter apathy.

We all need to keep fighting the fight. It is a difficult road in this state and organizations like the NRA don't want to waste time and money fighting in an environment where the people continue to elect gun-grabbers.

You make a good point about the voters not turning out. When I was living in Steuben county I heard a lot of disgruntled gun owners complaining. When asked did you vote 50%asked said no. I asked them why? The answer was almost always what's the sense. I understand that the city has a lot of pull but get out and vote might be surprised what could happen.

• Like 1

here soon i may work to remove my "hunting and target" status.  it puts a damper or complicates things trying to take courses that flat out require concealed carry permit to improve your pistol skills.  i've competed now for multiple years in NRA pistol competitions for a traveling team.  just makes sense to make my life easier and i've got some experience.  fortunately i don't have a judge that never approves unrestricted concealed carry.

6 hours ago, SmokeinTN said:

You make a good point about the voters not turning out. When I was living in Steuben county I heard a lot of disgruntled gun owners complaining. When asked did you vote 50%asked said no. I asked them why? The answer was almost always what's the sense. I understand that the city has a lot of pull but get out and vote might be surprised what could happen.

This would be correct...There are more than enough gun owners in the state to control their destiny by simply getting out to vote. The fact that they did not is why we are stuck with Cumo and the safe act. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, UWShunter said:

Unfortunately, until Trump's right to carry law goes into effect, you simply have to go through all the BS to own a pistol in NYC and abide by the laws put into effect by liberal, progressive politicians.

Not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

The only lobby who can fight NYC's gun laws, our putz mayor & the libs running NYC, is the NRA.

Bottom line, I'd rather go through all the BS to own my guns, than sit on the sidelines without having any weapons.

I already have long guns so handguns doesn't add enough to make it worth jumping through all those crazy loop holes.  Believe me, I've teeter on the edge so many times.  I would love to do it.  If they simply took away a couple of loopholes, I'd jump on it.

• Like 1